New download before Christmas???!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay canseco

War Child
Somone at @ U2 has mentioned a new article in Irish News' entertainment section online that discusses U2's new album. Paul McG. claims a download will be available before Christmas. You must register at Irish News to read articles. :wink:

ht tp://irishnews.com/

Look under the entertainment section, about a third of the way down the page. You must register to read the article.

Bleh, there is only a paid subscription? I think this calls for the good old copy/paste job.

You can read it at @ U2 under the 'Post the News' portion of their forum. As for the download being the 'Saints' or something else, I don't know. :shrug:

ht tp://forum.at u2.com/forum.src?Action=Posts&Subject=11059&Topic=15&SubjStart=

remove the spaces

Last edited:
Here's what the guy posted at @u2.com:

Thirty years ago next Monday is the anniversary of U2's first ever rehearsal as a band.
With the release of their insightful and incredibly detailed autobiography U2 by U2 this week, it's time for yet another period of activity for the hardest working band in showbusiness. I got together with them for a long overdue catch-up and asking Bono what Dublin's finest are hoping to achieve with U2 by U2?
"It's one of those times in life when you just have to bare your soul and let people in. That's what we've tried to do with the book. It can be really hard work getting all those feelings and emotions out into words. I had to do that before my own biography but this time it was even harder. I think it's great though that we have so many stories to tell and so many moments to remember," says Mr Hewson.
The Edge, however, has yet to get round to doing U2 by U2 justice.
"I haven't read anyone else's bits in the book yet but I'm sure they're a good read!"

"Like everyone else in the band I'm just pleased that we can offer the fans something to get their teeth into and understand where we've been coming from all these years."
Larry Mullen Jnr is more philosophical about the band's position in 2006.
"I'm happy that we've done the book. It's better that we tell everyone the stories behind all the various eras of U2 but I don't like looking back. I only want to look forward both in my own life and the life of U2."

With that sentiment in mind I ask Larry about the band's latest work-- apparently the legendary Rick Rubin has been drafted in to fill the producer's role, and as a U2 fan and a Rick Rubin fan, it sounds musically mouthwatering. This is the man who has produced the likes [of] Red Hot Chilli Peppers, AC/DC, Johnny Cash and the Beastie Boys. He is particularly good at conjuring devastating drum sounds. Larry must be having the time of his life!
"Yes, it's true we have been working with Rick and things are going really well. The drums are being hit hard and although it's early days yet I think the new material is going to turn out to be a bit special."

The Edge agrees: "We've been in London's Abbey Road working with Rick and things are going fantastically well. I'm very excited about the new songs-- more excited than I have been in the early stages about other new album sessions, so I'm hoping that things will continue that way." Bono also enthuses about the latest U2 musical activity. "We have laid down three songs and I think they are some of the most exciting tunes we have done to date. Abbey Road has brought out the best in us and I can�t wait to continue recording the new stuff. It sounds brilliant so far!"

The band have also recorded a track with Green Day to raise money for Music Rising, a charity endorsed by The Edge to help musicians of New Orleans who were affected by Hurricane Katrina. The song is a cover of an old Skids number called The Saints Are Coming and is a storming workout with both bands flexing their considerable collective muscles, as Bono reveals:

"We had a real blast recording that together. Those Green Day boys sure know how to give it up!"

U2's manager Paul McGuinness is equally as excited about the band's recent recording and reveals that fans may have a pleasant surprise to look forward to.

"We are all thrilled with the new songs and I think that the band are in the best form they have been in for years. Three songs have already been recorded with Rick Rubin and the boys are itching to get back into the studio to get more on tape.

"We head off to Australia to pick up the Vertigo tour again in November so we will be very busy, but look out for a download single before Christmas! I'll say no more now but wait and see."

Last edited:
Well, the way I interpret it, it sounds like a NEW song, not The Saints, will be released some time this year. Maybe just as something to keep the Vertigo Tour fueled for another leg.

good point

since they're working on songs now what do you guys think the chances are of them road testing even just one new song on the road?

Lancemc said:
Well, the way I interpret it, it sounds like a NEW song, not The Saints, will be released some time this year.

That's my take, too. We already have a release date for the studio version of Saints---late October. Even though it's technically "before Christmas," I think the way he's using it means a release a bit closer to Christmas.

gareth brown said:

since they're working on songs now what do you guys think the chances are of them road testing even just one new song on the road?

Here's hoping! Hell, we got "We Love You" in Antwerp in 2001, and that seemed like it was more the result of a one-day jam session. They have actually recorded 3 songs---I don't think it's unreasonable to think we might get one or two here & there.

gareth brown said:
good point

It could be a possibility, and if it goes down well maybe they would carry it on to the next tour?
Heres hoping!

Putting out a stand-alone single would point either towards an imminent album or one that is quite far off. My intuition says that it will be the latter, but I can't help hoping for the former.

Lancemc said:
Well, the way I interpret it, it sounds like a NEW song, not The Saints, will be released some time this year. Maybe just as something to keep the Vertigo Tour fueled for another leg.

Agreed. Considering the context that it comes just after talking about the cover, it seems to me to quite clearly refer to something else.

I won't get my hopes up yet though ...

bram said:
Are the Vertigo shows not sold out? Why would they need fuel?

Sydney III hasn't sold out yet, I think.

"Extra fuel" could spark more album sales worldwide at the all-important Christmas season.

the tourist said:
Watch. Love And Peace Or Else (Single Version).

Oh :madspit: on that!!

Interesting that everyone seems so enthused about the recording so far. I'm a huge proponent of Rubin...I think he'll give U2 an edge :wink: they haven't had since (dare I say it) Pop...but really Achtung Baby. I'm fired up to hear these songs!! :rockon:

Interesting to see non-Bono fractions of U2 buzzing pozitively on Rubin sessions so far. :up:

On second thought, McGuiness would probably say if the download single was The Saints are coming. So my guess is not necessarily a new album right now, but more like a little extra to bridge the wait between albums (a one off single like HMTMKMKM, S. thing, ES). I'm interested in hearing the first hint of U2 Rubin-ized.
Also, can you say a new song premiered live on this leg?

Last edited:
Utoo said:

They have actually recorded 3 songs---I don't think it's unreasonable to think we might get one or two here & there.

:confused: I thought Rubin said they have 4 songs by now?

And also, where are all the posters who objected even a thought of a new U2 single this year?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Could be. But in that interview I posted above, McGuinness says three.

I wonder---will the single be one of the beach clips? If so, which? I'm thinking 404/All My Life could do well as a standalone single. Which raises another question---will the single be a standalone (a la The Sweetest Thing), or will it be on the new album? I think that answer depends on how far away the next album is----if it's two years, I think the single will be a standalone; if it's next year, the single might be on there.

exciting!

and this is what i really thought would happen. U2 wants to put new stuff out, but with the rest of the tour taking place, it'll be tough to finish the new album this year.

it'll also be interesting to see how the tour helps in the process of making the new album. U2 is going to have a lot of rehearsal time on their hands. i wouldn't be suprised if the album is virtually finished by the time the tour is over, just not fully recorded.

EP would be nice! say umm 5-6 new songs mixed in with some live hits would be awsome I would love this sort of configuration although not neceseraly in this order:

1. I believe (new song)
2. Love and peace (or else) Live
3. Bulet the blue sky (live from elevation)
4. All my life (new song)
5. Vertigo (Live)
6. Beutifal Day (Live)
7. Can't you see (new song)
8. Some other new song (hopefully on the harder/ rockier side side)
9. All because of you (live)
10. fast cars (live)
11. Thank you (new song)

I know my flow is horrible. But its just the way I would personaly like it hehehe. I would like a live ep/album iun which the theme is somewhat harder rock songs with some balads like thank you which I think would be a good closer for the album/ep.

ANyone agree, disagree, think I am crazy? hehehehe

U2girl said:

And also, where are all the posters who objected even a thought of a new U2 single this year?
Yes, someone (can't remember if it was Rubin or not) said they had recorded 4 tracks. I don't recall them specifying if all were U2 songs. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those tracks was 'The Saints are Coming' with Green Day, as they were in the studio recording as well. That would make the most sense, since they are now saying they have 3 new U2 songs.

Back
Top Bottom