New Bono quote on HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
"The live thing is really where this band lives. For the first time we've made an album that we like," Bono laughed, "Which could mean the end of our band. 'Cos normally we find the songs -– when we go out and play them -- that you step inside them. And you want to find some really good reasons to leave home. We've all got some nice houses and family and friends and it's hard to leave. We had to find some really good reasons to leave home and I think we've found eleven."

This is from an interview with XFM. You can read the whole article here:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3532

It had better not be the end of the band! :mad: :wink:

Last edited:
"For the first time we've made an album that we like"

:scratch: obviously an exaggeration; but what does it mean?

At least he didn't call it "the mother of all rock albums."

Every past album (or most of them prior to ATYCLB), Bono and Edge were usually quoted as saying "this album brings us closer to where we want to go as artists. We don't know what or where that will be...but we'll know when we get there."

I wonder if they genuinely have the feeling that HTDAAB is that ideal album...or at least just feels like that right now.

He's so full of shit nowadays it's hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. I have more faithin Edge, Adam, and Larry. I want their opinions.

MrBrau1 said:
He's so full of shit nowadays it's hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. I have more faithin Edge, Adam, and Larry. I want their opinions.

(has a terrible image of Bono opening his mouth to speak and :censored: coming out of his mouth)

:sick:

kevink said:
"The live thing is really where this band lives. For the first time we've made an album that we like," Bono laughed, "Which could mean the end of our band. 'Cos normally we find the songs -– when we go out and play them -- that you step inside them. And you want to find some really good reasons to leave home. We've all got some nice houses and family and friends and it's hard to leave. We had to find some really good reasons to leave home and I think we've found eleven."

It had better not be the end of the band! :mad: :wink:

This is obviously an exageration, but something tells me they've never been happier with an album.

:eyebrow: Who doesn't know yet when Bono is just rambling cos he's at a loss for words, he's so excited or he has forgotten something he has said at least 20 times before?

C'mon how many times have we heard "two crap albums" and were out of here? Secondly which album was the first crap album? So that means we have at least a couple to go.

I doubt it means the end of the band , imho

FullonEdge2 said:
"For the first time we've made an album that we like"

:scratch: obviously an exaggeration; but what does it mean?

I think he just used that to express how pleased they are with the album. Maybe this is the first one they are completely statisfied with.

I'm also inclined to think that they mean 2 consecutive crap albums and they'll call it quits. Not that I really think they've made any crap albums, but that's just a matter o' opinion.

give bono a break once in a while, he's just really happy with the record, and that's a good sign we will be too :)

Lancemc said:
give bono a break once in a while, he's just really happy with the record, and that's a good sign we will be too :)

Yeah, really. Personally, I love Bono's over the top remarks. It's a sign of confidence.

I don't know why you guys are discussing so much. Bono has always been like this, he loves to hype the new albums. He is the best PR in the world. I think that Bono gets so happy and excited after so much work that when it's over and he likes the final product he exaggerates in what he says but he probably means it at the moment. :shrug:

I kinda like that about him.

kevink said:

I was going to say something about having a good reason to leace home now NOW, after all these years of touring... but I won't....

}:)~

Bono has a history and a habit of saying things on the spur of the moment without really thinking them through.:wink:

So when he said that this album might mean the end of the band, I'm sure he was joking.

Right now, U2 is in a GREAT PLACE in their lives - they are smiling more broadly (even Larry) and seem closer to each other than they have been in the last few years.:yes:

So, instead of analyzing every word they say or every movement they make, why don't we just RELAX AND ENJOY THEM?

I'm sure that would be what they would want us to do. :hug:

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T STEAL IT. NO, THEY CAN'T EVEN FEEL IT.....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

I have heard that "11 reasons to tour" quote before. This was prior to the release of All That... . Its a great quote no doubt. This is the first time I have heard any hint of retirement from Bono prior to an album's release because it might be their best album. :eyebrow:

This can't be the last album....I haven't had a chance to meet 'em yet and if I don't get to this tour I will be distraught....I think (and hope) that Bono said this because he is truly happy and excited about this album.

I saw that quote too, and I don't like the "end of our band" bit. Or the "we waited 25 years to make this album" - not to promising either.

I think he meant that everyone in the band is completely satisfied with the album, which may have not happened before. And if you think you've made THE perfect album, what else is there left?
Remember all the hype from other people saying this is their best ever album, and Larry quote from a few years, saying U2 would rather go out on a high and not get shot down for becoming boring and predictable?

Also consider they've had trouble making POP - changed producers - and ATYCLB - U2.com site says after they started working on it, after a year they regrouped and started over - and this one had the biggest break ever in their history. I'd hate to think it's gotten to a stage where it's hard work and routine now...

Last edited:
Now everyone, watch as Bono's quote is taken further and further out of context and taken waaay too seriously.

U2 are not breaking up after this album. The end.

It's just typical B-man, he said the same thing about ATYCLB when the album was due to come out.

I thought they said they'd break up only if ATYCLB didn't meet their standard.

This is the mother of all albums. HTDAAB is an Edge driven full on rock album and we weren't standing around the studio with watering cans I mean two crap albums and your out right. This is us reapplying for the job of the best band on the planet. And tonight we might be that band. We've yet to make the record we set out to make when we started. I think we're still relevant.

Yes the hype can become a bit stretched and somewhat amusing.

But I am sure (just from Vertigo and the Spanish beach boys recordings) that this really will be a very special album. Best since Achtung Baby, maybe better - 11 good reasons to leave home :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Ha! Ever see the South Park where people start pooing out of their mouths? :ohmy:

608_img_16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom