New band members in u2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's also not just about musical technique but musical DIRECTION (as Meghan already pointed out--great name by the way :wink: ) Each member brings ideas and each member can put a veto on an idea if it's too "out there". It's not like the rhythm section simply is under control of the Great All-Powerfull All-Knowning Commander General Mr. The Edge.

Also, there are things like tours and image that can not be discounted, I'm sure all four members have a say in those things.
I was feeling very creative the day I joined. :wink:

Let's be real here. Drummers and bass players aren't important. They're interchangeable.
That's why Led Zep was every bit as successful after Bonham died. He was only the drummer after all. Plant was the lead singer and Page was the guitarist with mystique.

It's why the Who continued to make world class music that sold like hotcakes and changed the world after Keith Moon died.

It's why the REM of Up, Reveal and Around the Sun is so much better and more successful with the absence of Bill Berry.
All Berry could come up with is crap like Murmurs, Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Lifes Rich Pageant.

It's why John Lennon's solo work was so much more warmly received after he ditched Paul and Ringo.

It's why the Bob Dylan of Blood on the Tracks sounds identical to the Freewheeling Bob Dylan. Different rhythm section but the exact same sound.

It's why the Pearl Jam of No Code sounds exactly like the Pearl Jam of Ten. Different drummers--identical sound.

Larry and Adam distinct and important to U2's sound? Nah.

hahah

I think Larry and Adam have proved themselves to be very U2ish in sound....if I didnt know who played the new version of Mission Impossible I would still know it was them just because of the way they play the insterment....they still have the big booming sound that U2 always goes for and I dont think any other combination would do it as well as Larry and Adam.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Let's be real here. Drummers and bass players aren't important. They're interchangeable.
That's why Led Zep was every bit as successful after Bonham died. He was only the drummer after all. Plant was the lead singer and Page was the guitarist with mystique.

It's why the Who continued to make world class music that sold like hotcakes and changed the world after Keith Moon died.

It's why the REM of Up, Reveal and Around the Sun is so much better and more successful with the absence of Bill Berry.
All Berry could come up with is crap like Murmurs, Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Lifes Rich Pageant.

It's why John Lennon's solo work was so much more warmly received after he ditched Paul and Ringo.

It's why the Bob Dylan of Blood on the Tracks sounds identical to the Freewheeling Bob Dylan. Different rhythm section but the exact same sound.

It's why the Pearl Jam of No Code sounds exactly like the Pearl Jam of Ten. Different drummers--identical sound.

Larry and Adam distinct and important to U2's sound? Nah.

:lmao: Now, let's talk about Mark King.....

I do not understand why this is even up for disussion? Who would ever want U2 to be without any of the original members?

That is a good question as I have seen bad replacement mistakes made in other bands. Besides music, each brings their own "business" into the band. You would not only be replacing a musician in my opinion, but also a business partner.

I think if Larry quit, it would be easy to replace him in the technical aspect. Morally speaking, he would never be replaced. But Larry's drumming is not that hard, I can play almost every single U2 song on the drums and i've been drumming for less then 2 years. I once read that Larry feels guilty sometimes because his drumming is not complex, etc. and he feels that he doesn't deserve what he gets. Well it's not his fault, but the type of drumming he does, even though it's not too hard, is perfect for U2's sound.

Even the Who and Led Zeppelin went on after their drummers died; and Keith Moon and John Bonham we're two of the greatest drummers ever.

boystupidboy said:
So whats the verdict then?? Looks like u2 could quite easily cope without the 2 'tempo kings' in the background:|

"It is fair to say that Bono writes most of U2's lyrics, but he does not write them all. Edge has come up with more of U2's signature riffs than any of the other three, but the other three have all written plenty. I've watched U2 compose and record. What surprised me was how they switched roles depending on who was feeling inspired. Listening to a playback, Larry came up with an idea for a new melody and sang it to Bono, who tried it on the track. When Bono left for the night, Edge took over writing lyrics. When Larry left the room, Edge sat down behind the drums and put down a beat for a demo. Adam picked up Edge's guitar and suggested some chords. The four members of U2 have been a band since they were schoolboys; they taught each other to write and play. It is almost impossible for an outsider to tell where one leaves off and the next begins. The songs truly come from all four of them."--Bill Flanagan

"It is really striking how much of the U2 sound frequently credited to Edge alone depends on Adam and Larry. Adam often plays with the swollen, vibrating bottom sound of a Jamaican dub bassist, covering the most sonic space with the smallest number of notes. Larry, who taught himself to drum and consequently got some things technically wrong, plays with a martial rigidity but uses his kit in a way a properly trained drummer would not. He has tom-toms on either side of him, and has a habit of coming off the snare onto them that is contrary to how most percussionists use those drums. We're not talking about huge technical innovations here; we're talking about personal idiosyncraises that have over fifteen years solidified into a big part of what makes U2 always sound like U2, no matter what style of music they are playing. It is also why bands that imitate U2 never get it right, and why all guitarists who try to play like Edge end up sounding so lame; their rhythm section never sounds like Adam and Larry. The great joke is that Adam's and Larry's playing so perfectly reflects their personalities. Larry is right on top of the beat, a bit ahead--as you'd expect from a man who's so ordered and punctual in his life. Adam plays a little behind the beat, waiting till the last moment to slip in, which fits with Adam's casual, don't-sweat-it personality. The great bassists and composer Charles Mingus said that musicians should not think of the beat as a dot that has to be landed on precisely, but as a circle in which one has to land somewhere. Adam and Larry, who have learned their instruments together since they were schoolboys, are working illustrations of Mingus' point. They've played together so long that they seem to spread the beat out between them. And they create a blanket on which Edge's chord layers rest."

--Bill Flanagan

If you only hear Bono and Edge in a U2 song, you're not fully listening to a U2 song.

Sunday Bloody Sunday without the drums wouldn't have the same effect.

With or Without you without the bass sounds really really flat, I know because I've heard a remix of WOWY, with a barely audible different bass line, and a complete different drum pattern.

Song felt gutted.

Go ahead, make a poll, see how many U2 fans prefer the acoustic arrangement of just Bono and Edge performing "Stay" or the full band version.

Does "Sunday Bloody Sunday", on Popmart, have the same impact without the military band like drums, or the sliding bass lines Adam puts in during the chorus.

At times in U2 songs, Adam bass lines almost sound like the words Bono's singing.

Maybe with other bands you have a point, but U2 somewhere along the way, made it so all 4 are needed to make the "U2 sound," so you couldn't replace the rhythm section.

Some drummers clutter up a song, imagine a bass player who wanted to play circles around Edge?

Last edited:
thrillme you have pin pointed awesome things!!!! GREAT GREAT POST!!!
I agree 100% with you!

Bono's shades said:
Adam and Larry help make U2 what it is. They have their own unique styles of playing. Besides, roughly half the stuff U2 write comes out of jam sessions with the entire band participating.

I was just about to say that. Larry and Adam don't get the crdit they deserve. For example Adam came up with the killer bass line on "New Years Day" at a soundcheck.

I for one think Larry possesses a certain pacing and character to his drumming that is unique to U2. I'd really miss him and don't think he could be replaced, if he left the band.

On the other hand, not only would I not miss Adam if he left, I'd give him the plane ticket to the middle of no where to get rid of him.

Palace_Hero said:

On the other hand, not only would I not miss Adam if he left, I'd give him the plane ticket to the middle of no where to get rid of him.

:eyebrow: are you being serious?

Palace_Hero said:
I'm not an Adam fan, I think he's an ok dude, but never felt his contribution to U2 oustide of NYD.

Soooo...

Do You Feel Loved, Where the Streets Have No Name, Seconds, With or Without You, City of Blinding Lights, Mofo, Zooropa, Gone, Stateless, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Vertigo, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria, Ultraviolet, The Fly...

...you don't feel like Adam contributed to those songs?

Palace_Hero said:
I'm not an Adam fan, I think he's an ok dude, but never felt his contribution to U2 oustide of NYD.

This happens a lot of times with a lot of people and a lot of bands. The bass player is usually underrated. Unlike the drums and guitar, you can't hear the bass that much in the songs. So people think there isn't much coming from the bassist. In reality, bassists have a lot contribution in the songs. Basslines can be simple or complex and every bassline is unique for each song (as far as U2 goes). Adam has contributed with killer basslines in New Year's Day, With or Without You, Bullet, and almost all of HTDAAB.

AtomicBono said:

Soooo...

Do You Feel Loved, Where the Streets Have No Name, Seconds, With or Without You, City of Blinding Lights, Mofo, Zooropa, Gone, Stateless, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Vertigo, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria, Ultraviolet, The Fly...

...you don't feel like Adam contributed to those songs?

Oh he contributed, just not massive contributions. And without Adam U2 wouldn't be who they are today no doubt.

However if U2 could find a more talented player who fit their dynamic I think they'd be perfect.

Palace_Hero said:

Oh he contributed, just not massive contributions. And without Adam U2 wouldn't be who they are today no doubt.

However if U2 could find a more talented player who fit their dynamic I think they'd be perfect.

Personally, I disagree. He may not be the most talented or show-offy player (except for Gloria), but I feel Adam's simple basslines are necessary to help fill the spaces around Edge's guitar. A lot of people don't realize how necessary the rhythm section is to U2's sound (hence this topic).

Just wondering, what bass player would you rather U2 have?

AtomicBono said:

Just wondering, what bass player would you rather U2 have?

I know this question wasn't directed at me...but if Adam left I think U2 would still sound FANTASTIC (albeit different) with a replacement like Flea or Mike Mills. Actually...I reckon anybody that could play the bass decently could conceivably compliment the rest of U2, assuming that they enjoyed similar types of music to the band. :reject:

corner said:

I know this question wasn't directed at me...but if Adam left I think U2 would still sound FANTASTIC (albeit different) with a replacement like Flea or Mike Mills. Actually...I reckon anybody that could play the bass decently could conceivably compliment the rest of U2, assuming that they enjoyed similar types of music to the band. :reject:

Flea's great but I really don't think his style would fit U2. Mills I don't see as being exceptional, but he's good. I don't know, I really can't imagine ANYONE playing bass for U2 besides Adam. When it comes to U2 the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Could U2 sound good with a different bass player? Of course they could, some people would even like it better. But it would take away part of what makes U2 U2.

Larry and Adam are an extremely important part of U2 and their playing styles and ideas are definitely one of the reasons why U2 is my favorite band. U2 would simply not be U2 without them. You don't even have to be a musician to feel how important that rhythm section is for the songs.

thrillme said:

"It is fair to say that Bono writes most of U2's lyrics, but he does not write them all. Edge has come up with more of U2's signature riffs than any of the other three, but the other three have all written plenty. I've watched U2 compose and record. What surprised me was how they switched roles depending on who was feeling inspired. Listening to a playback, Larry came up with an idea for a new melody and sang it to Bono, who tried it on the track. When Bono left for the night, Edge took over writing lyrics. When Larry left the room, Edge sat down behind the drums and put down a beat for a demo. Adam picked up Edge's guitar and suggested some chords. The four members of U2 have been a band since they were schoolboys; they taught each other to write and play. It is almost impossible for an outsider to tell where one leaves off and the next begins. The songs truly come from all four of them."--Bill Flanagan

"It is really striking how much of the U2 sound frequently credited to Edge alone depends on Adam and Larry. Adam often plays with the swollen, vibrating bottom sound of a Jamaican dub bassist, covering the most sonic space with the smallest number of notes. Larry, who taught himself to drum and consequently got some things technically wrong, plays with a martial rigidity but uses his kit in a way a properly trained drummer would not. He has tom-toms on either side of him, and has a habit of coming off the snare onto them that is contrary to how most percussionists use those drums. We're not talking about huge technical innovations here; we're talking about personal idiosyncraises that have over fifteen years solidified into a big part of what makes U2 always sound like U2, no matter what style of music they are playing. It is also why bands that imitate U2 never get it right, and why all guitarists who try to play like Edge end up sounding so lame; their rhythm section never sounds like Adam and Larry. The great joke is that Adam's and Larry's playing so perfectly reflects their personalities. Larry is right on top of the beat, a bit ahead--as you'd expect from a man who's so ordered and punctual in his life. Adam plays a little behind the beat, waiting till the last moment to slip in, which fits with Adam's casual, don't-sweat-it personality. The great bassists and composer Charles Mingus said that musicians should not think of the beat as a dot that has to be landed on precisely, but as a circle in which one has to land somewhere. Adam and Larry, who have learned their instruments together since they were schoolboys, are working illustrations of Mingus' point. They've played together so long that they seem to spread the beat out between them. And they create a blanket on which Edge's chord layers rest."

--Bill Flanagan

:rockon:

The beauty of U2 is that you can never say about any of their stuff, "That's not real U2". Whether you're a Pop fan or not, a ATYCLB fan or not, it's the same four guys that have played in all of their songs so it's still U2 for better or for worse

. For example you always have people questioning, "Is post-Watters Pink Floyd actually Floyd...is mid nineties Chili Peppers actually Real Chili Peppers..."...there are plenty of other examples. I for one don't consider anything post "Adventures in Hi-Fi" to be real REM.

Zeppelin had it right when they broke up after Bonham's death, and have retained their legendary status because of it(Ever notice how Zep have had their mystique and legendary status maintained and even increased while the Who's has waned to some degree because of all of the "comebacks" minus members). U2 would not be U2 without any of the four guys.

Back
Top Bottom