New Album work already in progress!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beraghrovers

Babyface
I have been speaking with a friend that does promo work for Island and she says that a number of the bands so called "left over" material from the bomb is being re-jigged and worked with by a couple of old favourite producers in order to put them forward as a basis for the new album!

Watch this space!!!!

beraghrovers said:
by a couple of old favourite producers

Eno/Lanois? Leftovers from Bomb were rocking songs right?

:up: Good to know there's someting bubbling already.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Eno/Lanois partnership again, as nice as it would have been to have some fresh blood. Though I'm not so thrilled at the idea of U2 using HTDAAB "leftovers." Oh well, it's early days yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

If the leftovers are of the quality of Smile and Fast Cars, we may be in for a really good album.

GibsonGirl said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Eno/Lanois partnership again, as nice as it would have been to have some fresh blood. Though I'm not so thrilled at the idea of U2 using HTDAAB "leftovers." Oh well, it's early days yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

I would think they work on leftovers all the time. Developing ideas. I would think that's how every artist work, whether it is musicians, authors and what not.

Last edited:
U2 Are Back in the Studio Again

Irish supergroup U2 are back in the recording studio again -- just a couple of weeks after finishing their mammoth world tour.

The "With or Without You" band are already recording in a rundown nightclub in the south of France, not far from singer Bono's holiday home.

Bono says, "We've started our album and it's going to blow your mind. It's real punk rock, with some great guitar sounds and some beautiful melodies. The band is so tight coming straight off tour.

"I think we've really hit form. We were here to write a ballad, but we just keep knocking out these hard rock tunes."

oh yeah, gotta include this bit:
WENN, December 20, 2001

© WENN, 2001. All rights reserved.

I'm not just trying to mess with people, I'm trying to make a point.

ElectricalVoice said:

I would think they work on leftovers all the time. Developing ideas. I would think that's how every artist work, whether it is musicians, authors and what not.

Yeah, they do.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own=ATYCLB leftover
Love and Peace or Else=ATYCLB leftover
Original of the Species=ATYCLB leftover
COBL=POP leftover

not to mention the Pop songs that originated on Zooropa and all the rest.

I'm just trying to keep everyone realistic, we should all be happy with 2008 at this point, not trying to rain on the posters parade, it's just hard to get our hopes up. At the very least, it's some interesting readings from the past

U2 to Follow a New Musical Direction

USA Today, December 13, 2002

Edna Gundersen

U2 is quietly at work on a noisy album. Early indications suggest a shift toward a heavier rock sound, thought the Irish quartet tends to radically modify blueprints during construction.

"Our hope is for a harder record focused on the rock side of U2," drummer Larry Mullen Jr. says. "A lot could change over the next few months. U2 is always going to chase after things."

After experimenting with electronica in the '90s, the band retreated to its core strengths for 2000's Grammy-winning All That You Can't Leave Behind. The still-untitled follow-up, which is expected in stores by late 2003 or early 2004, began with preliminary recording sessions early this year in Monaco, where the Irish quartet crafted 12 or 13 song skeletons with a solid rock bent.

"It will be another band-centric record," guitarist the Edge says. "It's too early to define. U2 records tend to start in one direction, take on a life of their own and end up somewhere quite different. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on a record dedicated to the life force and vitality of a rock band in full flight.

"A lot of music now is very processed and produced, which can create amazing music, but it also means that a band with a unique style and chemistry has currency simply by sounding different."

"Electrical Storm," one of two new songs on the recent hits set The Best of 1990-2000, "does give a hint of the direction we're following, though it's slower than the stuff I'd be interested in working on," Edge says.

© USA Today, 2002.

the new stuff (Native Son, ABOY, Yahweh etc) began in early 2002. So on top of the leftovers mentioned earlier, the new stuff, even with the projected Chris Thomas album (earliest Christmas 2003) it still took nearly two years from then.

one last thing, for fun

Stuck in a Studio

Dotmusic, April 09, 2002

U2 are working on ten new tracks and hope to have a new album out by the end of this year.

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, bassist Adam Clayton revealed the band had a number of completed songs from their last album sessions and were busy working on new material.

He said: "Everything we had left over was finished, which was unusual for us. There are maybe another ten pieces that are more immediate, slightly poppier tunes that I know will turn up."

"I hate to make predictions. If we get six tunes, maybe that will roll into a project."

As previously reported on dotmusic, U2 are currently working in the studio where they will remain until summer.

Clayton said of the band's recording process: "Nowadays, [guitarist] Edge tends to do his homework and discipline some chord sequences."

"Then, as a group, we find an interpretation, a unique way they fit together. Or a sound will get thrown out from a jam, and we figure out a melody to go with it."

Daniel Lanois, co-producer of five previous U2 albums, recently suggested that the band would be ready to release a second Greatest Hits album this autumn.

"To my knowledge, there's a Best of the '90s that's going to come out before their next official record," he said.

U2DMfan said:

I'm not just trying to mess with people, I'm trying to make a point.

Of course, this was prior to all the troubles with the producer.

As for leftovers, depends. How good are those and how many of those will really make it on the album?

He said: "Everything we had left over was finished, which was unusual for us. There are maybe another ten pieces that are more immediate, slightly poppier tunes that I know will turn up."

[/B]

I wonder if any of these songs are still unreleased?

You had the 3 that made HTDAAB
Tough (Sometimes)
Love and Peace (LAPOE)
OOTS (OOTS)
then the B-sides.....
Flower Child
Levitate
Love You Like Mad (or was this HTDAAB?)
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

I don't think Neon Lights belongs here, it doesn't have an Eno/Lanois credit.

Help me out here, people.

U2girl said:

Of course, this was prior to all the troubles with the producer.

As for leftovers, depends. How good are those and how many of those will really make it on the album?

Yeah, I put this in the second post, didn't mean to make it so cluttered and hard to read, I tried to italicize some stuff and it still looked crappy.

"the new stuff (Native Son, ABOY, Yahweh etc) began in early 2002. So on top of the leftovers mentioned earlier, the new stuff, even with the projected Chris Thomas album (earliest Christmas 2003) it still took nearly two years from then."

as for your question:
I think we'll probably see in the neighborhood of 3-4 songs that exist now make the album and probably another 3-4 end up B-sides or whatever.

I'm not one of those people who think they have 10 or 12 (somewhat completed or completed) songs lying around, I think it's more like 6 or 8.

If I remember right, 24 songs were recorded for the Bomb. 11 are on the album, plus Mercy plus Smile plus Fast cars. 10 songs left.

I am guessing this includes Treason and Northern star. I found this list on u2tour.de, unaccounted for song titles:

Tough (this is early Sometimes right?)
Full Metal Jacket (?)
Native Son (early Vertigo)
You Can't Give Away Your Heart (?)
Lead Me In The Way I Should Go (?)
Sky Hawk (the rumoured soundtrack song?)
I Love You / We Love You (is this the Elevation tour jam or a different song?)

So that's 7 titles floating out there. (hopefully Mercy will make it on the next album too)

Flower child, Levitate, Love you like mad are from ATYCLB sesisons, as is Are you gonna wait forever (Eno/Lanois credits). Neon lights is a cover.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
If I remember right, 24 songs were recorded for the Bomb. 11 are on the album, plus Mercy plus Smile plus Fast cars. 10 songs left.

I am guessing this includes Treason and Northern star. I found this list on u2tour.de, unaccounted for song titles:

Tough (this is early Sometimes right?)
Full Metal Jacket (?)
Native Son (early Vertigo)
You Can't Give Away Your Heart (?)
Lead Me In The Way I Should Go (?)
Sky Hawk (the rumoured soundtrack song)
I Love You / We Love You (?)

So that's 7 titles floating out there.

Flower child, Levitate, Love you like mad are from ATYCLB sesisons, as is Are you gonna wait forever (Eno/Lanois credits). Neon lights is a cover.

yeah that Adam quote is referring to the ATYCLB leftovers

also, you know Bono, he probably included all those songs in that 24 number, although I could certainly be wrong. Bono doesn't pay attention to such details :wink:

Skyhawk=I think Firefly/Spiderman song and Skyhawk are all COBL

Lead Me In the Way I Should Go, I have no idea but it could be Yahweh?? Obviously Full Metal Jacket is Vertigo.

There is a thread around here with more song titles, I need to get them posted on this thread without bumping the old one.

I remember something else called A man's a man for the Scorsese movie. Or did that turn into Hands that built America? :confused:

I remember the Skyhawk=COBL rumours, was that ever confirmed?
Full metal jacket is Vertigo? Adam said Native son got together with another song and the result is Vertigo...

U2girl said:
I remember something else called A man's a man for the Scorsese movie. Or did that turn into Hands that built America? :confused:

I remember the Skyhawk=COBL rumours, was that ever confirmed?
Full metal jacket is Vertigo? Adam said Native son got together with another song and the result is Vertigo...

the COBL and Hands That Built Thing are just fan speculation, but I personally think they are both good bets. I'm trying to find the unused song titles, or I'd go into more details, I will later....

The FMJ=Vertigo is 100% confirmed by the band.

I left out the known and obvious ones

Untidy Life
Nosejob
Yesterday and Tomorrow
The Sun, The Moon, The Stars
Novelty Act
Stranded
Bulldozer
Jesus Drove Me
Piano:poem
A Man's a Man
You Can't Give Your Heart Away
I Love You
Jubilee
Landscape
Crybaby
Indian Jam
Sponge
Lose Control
Lead Me In the Way I Should Go
Busy Bee
Sky Hawk
+
(newer ones)
Treason
Mercy
Northern Star

And here are my guesses:

U2DMfan said:

Nosejob (Babyface?)
Bulldozer (the LAPOE intro)
Piano:poem (maybe an early version of Numb)
A Man's a Man (Hands that Built)
Jubilee (Another Beautiful Day version, methinks)
Lose Control (I'll take a wild guess, OOTS)
Lead Me In the Way I Should Go (Yahweh?)
Busy Bee (COBL?)
Sky Hawk (COBL one more time)

Nosejob, seems carefree, Babyface is about superficiality in a sense, I beleive that song title is from that era/

Bulldozer was described as being one of Larry's favorite tracks (during ATYCLB promotion) and later it was revealed that LAPOE was made from an already existing piece of music (just bass and some funky drums) and then the song was tacked on to it. I think it was Bulldozer + Love and Peace=LAPOE

Piano:poem, this song comes from the Zooropa era, it's just a stab that it might be Numb, who knows?

A Man's a Man, reported to be the Scorcese film song.
What else do we need? Could have been a different song, but where is it?

Jubilee, there were a bunch of names for BD, just like Vertigo, Always, I think was the first version, then Jubilee or Stir My Soul in either order, then finally BD

Lose Control, probably should have deleted that one, has to be OOTS.

Lead Me In the Way I Should Go, just sounds like Bono wanted to write a song of praise, and we never heard anything more about this one.

Busy Bee=I get from the Firefly link, Firefly being a confirmed early name for COBL. Just a guess

Skyhawk=this one I am almost positive about, also rumored to be the Spiderman song, I can't recall all the reasons I think this way, but there were a few leads pointing that way. On the HTDAAB booklet Edge's guitar pedal has one labeled Spidey Side or something, clearly COBL has that definitive slide, it's an epic song, a single, and I think they thought it could have been a soundtrack song had it worked out that way. Skyhawk=that stupid Jude Law movie.

edit*-found this at the U2log archive:
"City of Blinding Lights" was originally called "Firefly" and was the track the band were thinking of contributing to the "Spiderman" soundtrack. (We had heard it was called "Sky Hawk.")

Last edited:
Are some of those back from ATYCLB sessions? I think Jubilee and Bulldozer and Novelty act are from that era. I thought The sun and the moon and the stars was just a fan rumour.

I have never heard of Untidy life, Nosejob, Yesterday and Tomorrow, Stranded, Jesus drove me, Piano:poem, Landscape, Crybaby, Indian Jam, Sponge, Lose Control and Busy bee. Possibly just working titles?

I don't know, Lead me in the way I should go could also be a love song. That and You can't give your heart away.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Are some of those back from ATYCLB sessions? I think Jubilee and Bulldozer and Novelty act are from that era. I thought The sun and the moon and the stars was just a fan rumour.

I have never heard of Untidy life, Nosejob, Yesterday and Tomorrow, Stranded, Jesus drove me, Piano:poem, Landscape, Crybaby, Indian Jam, Sponge, Lose Control and Busy bee. Possibly just working titles?

I don't know, Lead me in the way I should go could also be a love song. That and You can't give your heart away.

Most of those names are from a Zooropa era Propaganda magazine.

I'd assume all of them are working titles and are released in some form or fashion or completely scrapped.

There is a Beautiful Day video with a white board that had names on it, maybe Sun, Moon, Stars came from that, but I've heard about that song for a long time, and if I had to guess, I'd say it was When I Look At the World or something totally different.
Hard to say with U2, one song could have 4 different names, that's why they don't make a lot of those working names public (on purpose).

If somebody could find that picture, that would be awesome.

Novelty Act was supposed to be an ATYCLB B-side, so I think it exists, maybe it became something else though. I remember seeing it on Amazon or something? Couldn't say which single though, possibly Stuck.

Anyone think Mercy will make it?
It's too good to be the "best B-side you've ever heard".

Wow! It's incredible how this thread developped into something that don't seem to talk about the original thing.
Anyway, a few weeks ago I posted in another thread that due to the 8-month-gap in the Vertigo Tour, we could see some kind of a little LP with reworked leftovers as some kind of gift to fill that gap... I say: why not?
Well, the 'real' new album may come in 2008 and the new tour after, so they have to keep the public until then.

It wouln't be too much difficult to make that album... We have enough songs to make that.
Maybe a even more worked version of Mercy, or maybe finished versions of Treason, North Star, or even songs like Lead Me In The Way I Should Go and You Can't Give Your Heart Away really exist as independent tunes.
Plus remember that is rumoured that U2 may write the main track to the next 007 movie...
With another 3 or 4 songs that easily makes a 9/10-song album.
B-sides? We've been getting remixes, and if this thing isn't a 'real true album', b-sides are not that important...

I'd be happy to see a "rockin" Zooropa type album, but like U2DMFan points out once U2 gets into the studio, unless they're on a tight, tight deadline, release dates get pushed back and back and back.

I'm hopeful they'll use the down time to get back into the studio, that is if the member with the sick family member has the time to.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but looking back at past history too...:sad:

Back
Top Bottom