New Album work already in progress!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MD is too rough to be on ATYCLB, a man and a women is more of that style.

dabiggestu2fan said:

umm nah not a new orleans oriented album. I would like to see more of a tsunami oriented album. I am just getting kinda tired of hearing so much about new orleans when the tsunami tragedy killed 300,000 + people and seems to be largely forgatten.

what are you talking about?

im talking about new orleans style music.

what the fuck does the tsunami have to do with anything?

The tsunami was an event that put the power and ability of us humans to control the world around up in comparison with the supreme power of the earth and all the harm that it can do.

I think it's a possibility we could see some sort of environmentally themed songs or just some work that tries to examine the relationship we have with the world. It seems like the band would try to put into music the kind of things that are going through people's heads right now, it obvious that it's affecting them as much as us.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Rough? it sounds like a Beautiful Day off-shoot to me, like Always.

beautiful day sounds smooth round the edges if it makes sense , MD i would say needs a bit of polishing.

who said anything about disasters?
new orleans style music doesnt = disaster lyrics. new orleans music would be close to rattle n hum with a bluesyer guitar and a little mellower.
i wouldnt care two ways if bono had nothing to say about either disaster. I ,for one,am sick of hearing about it.

i'd love a jazz or a blues album and if bono was to include disasters so be it, bomb might of been a bit lack luster and a bit of passion would go down a treat.

I think it's a good idea that some producers are messing around with scraps from the last album. Songwriting by accident is great, but when you have some defined starting points it can really streamline a record.

I'd like to see a more focused effort this time, and that means one solid producer. Things might be interesting if they went after Don Was and The Glimmer Twins, for instance. They were responsible for A Bigger Bang and I loved the production on that thing. Larry would have a field day with the loudest, most compressed drums since the 80s.

I'd also like to see Edge favouring the keyboard and synth to fill out the band's sound instead of using so many guitar overdubs.

Canadiens1160 said:
I think it's a good idea that some producers are messing around with scraps from the last album. Songwriting by accident is great, but when you have some defined starting points it can really streamline a record.

I'd like to see a more focused effort this time, and that means one solid producer. Things might be interesting if they went after Don Was and The Glimmer Twins, for instance. They were responsible for A Bigger Bang and I loved the production on that thing.

Somehow, I can't envision Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, a.k.a. "The Glimmer Twins," producing the next album. :wink:

I'd like to see a focused effort, for sure, but not necessarily one that's rooted in the leftovers of the past. I'd love to see an infusion of weirdness/experimental sound--something more in the spirit of Pop or AB, rather than straight-up rock...which I don't think U2 do particularly well. I want some of that "otherness" Bono has recently talked about unveiling.

As for producer...how about Edge?

U2DMfan said:

I think I have to rethink my theory on Bulldozer being part of Love and Peace, from this info, they sound like two different songs.

Also, how many of you remember when 'Again' was rumored?
That might have come from U2log, I remember that and the other one that was rumored to be on Tomb Raider II. (The other one was Try To Beleive This) nobody believed that rumor because of that song title.

But "Again" that my friends, sure sounds like it could be Mercy.

Also, I thought Miracle Drug was new to the Lillywhite sessions, apparently they just dusted it off and gave it a new whirl.

remember that "scott walker" from the behind sessions is City of Blinding lights.

Irvine511 said:

the charts speak.

:shrug:

so do ticket sales. demand to see U2 has never been higher. the demand to hear new U2 on the radio or MTV/VH1 isn't so high.

Uhh, demand to see U2 certainly has been higher. Ever heard of the Joshua Tree tour? The Zoo TV tour?

Swan269 said:

remember that "scott walker" from the behind sessions is City of Blinding lights.

Yeah, I remember Adam said that in one of those magazines.

Some of those ATYCLB leftovers are intriguing.

did those come from the list Brian Eno turned over to the Hall of Fame? or something to that effect?

LyricalDrug said:

Uhh, demand to see U2 certainly has been higher. Ever heard of the Joshua Tree tour? The Zoo TV tour?

Not true. The demand for tickets for Vertigo has easily outstripped those tours.

Seeing as both Zootv and Vertigo had their mix of indoor and outdoor shows. If you were to include the Australian/NZ/Japan and Hawaii shows, what would be the total attendance and the average attendance per show on both those tours.

I think the demand from the Vertigo tour is huge, but it has nowhere near the excitement that the ZooTV tour created.

Sken said:
Seeing as both Zootv and Vertigo had their mix of indoor and outdoor shows. If you were to include the Australian/NZ/Japan and Hawaii shows, what would be the total attendance and the average attendance per show on both those tours.

I think the demand from the Vertigo tour is huge, but it has nowhere near the excitement that the ZooTV tour created.

ZooTV will easily outstrip both JT and Vertigo for attendance by virtue of the fact it had almost 160 shows, considerably more than either of the other two. It also had way more stadium shows, further helping its cause. The comparison would be more fair if U2 were doing a second Europe leg this tour.

Also, some ZooTV shows didn't sell out (Christchurch being a prime example, despite the fact that four years previous, U2 staged what I believe is still the largest concert in the city's history). I know at least one JT show failed to sell out too. Not a single Vertigo show that's actually been played failed to sell out, and I believe the upcoming shows that hadn't sold out were only not sold out due to ticket drops and I imagine they would have been sellouts come showtime.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, do you think the Vertigo tour could play as many stadium shows, or as many shows as ZooTV did and maintain the same momentum of popularity?

I suppose another European stadium leg could bring Vertigo's numbers up to ZooTV's numbers. I wonder if ZooTV met demand as well. Could they have played an extra Sydney gig, or even more gigs in New York etc. I dont think they played Brasil, Argentina, Chile either during ZooTV.

Its quite clear that these two tours are by far U2's most popular, as to which tour is better..........well thats a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Sken said:
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, do you think the Vertigo tour could play as many stadium shows, or as many shows as ZooTV did and maintain the same momentum of popularity?

Well, North America, I think we have to consider ZooTV the winner. However, in Europe, the demand for Vertigo was nuts. U2's people acknowledged they could have sold out "a fortnight" in Dublin. Sales records tumbled elsewhere too. I don't think U2 even came close to satisfying demand in Europe this time around and could easily do another stadium leg right now. Right now, with no new material.

I suppose another European stadium leg could bring Vertigo's numbers up to ZooTV's numbers. I wonder if ZooTV met demand as well. Could they have played an extra Sydney gig, or even more gigs in New York etc. I dont think they played Brasil, Argentina, Chile either during ZooTV.

That's correct - ZooTV didn't go to South America (U2 hadn't been there pre-Popmart). I suspect ZooTV satisfied demand in our part of the world - look at how Adelaide sales weren't so spectacular. For some reason, I think Sydney may not have completely sold out, but I could be wrong there.

Its quite clear that these two tours are by far U2's most popular, as to which tour is better..........well thats a matter of opinion. [/B]

And I'm in the considerable minority. :wink:

U2DMfan said:

Yeah, I remember Adam said that in one of those magazines.

Some of those ATYCLB leftovers are intriguing.

did those come from the list Brian Eno turned over to the Hall of Fame? or something to that effect?

yeah, Eno made notes from the sessions. Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, and Sometimes, a man and a woman, and love and peace were going on during those sessions....are you gonna wait forever also.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
U2 Are Back in the Studio Again

Irish supergroup U2 are back in the recording studio again -- just a couple of weeks after finishing their mammoth world tour.

The "With or Without You" band are already recording in a rundown nightclub in the south of France, not far from singer Bono's holiday home.

Bono says, "We've started our album and it's going to blow your mind. It's real punk rock, with some great guitar sounds and some beautiful melodies. The band is so tight coming straight off tour.

"I think we've really hit form. We were here to write a ballad, but we just keep knocking out these hard rock tunes."

oh yeah, gotta include this bit:
WENN, December 20, 2001

© WENN, 2001. All rights reserved.

I'm not just trying to mess with people, I'm trying to make a point.

those bono quotes keep sounding funnier all the time.

is he ANYTHING but a walking/talking cliche producing machine?

honestly, he shouldn't be interviewed anymore. let adam speak on behalf of the band.

Have you listened to the original album produced by Thomas ?
Do you know what kind of stuff was playing u2 in December 2001 ?
Were you in the rundown nightclub in the south of France with U2 in december 2001 ?

guill said:
Have you listened to the original album produced by Thomas ?
Do you know what kind of stuff was playing u2 in December 2001 ?
Were you in the rundown nightclub in the south of France with U2 in december 2001 ?

Bono should just learn to say "look, we just wrote and recorded the greatest song we've ever made, but Larry hasn't had a chance to tell us what's wrong with it yet."

Back
Top Bottom