New Album work already in progress!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, I almost regret even mentioning the possibilty of releasing that song, I'd rather this thread not get into another contentious Mercy debate.

Anyhow, I think it's probably not going to be on the next album, in fact I'd say it's a 90% chance. I think they attach that song to this album and this era, this feeling...

With that said, what we are talking about here is something like an EP this fall, or even just a single by itself, something to promote on the remaining concert dates, something to give Interscope and Island records a little blip on the sales during the holiday season.

it's just a pipe dream, probably, but it's not as far fetched as it was 6 months ago.

Smile has been released by the band, officially, it's not even a question.

Regarding the "they will/won't release Mercy/Smile" business, I agree with the "won't" crowd IF there is no release before the resumption of the tour. If U2 play the remaining dates and move on to the next album, Smile will stay a digital only release and I would argue Mercy will likely never appear on anything.

However, if U2 do a release before the resumption of tour, I could see those songs appearing. They could release a hard copy of the iTunes songs and add a couple more songs to sweeten the deal - i.e. Mercy, Treason, Northern Star. I think that would be smart, and I'd also like it a lot.

U2DMfan said:

1-I'd rather have an EP that you could buy in stores, but that's also a more costly venture for the band. It woud cost next to nothing to just put digital files on I-tunes.

We are talking about something reasonable.
I just went for the more cost effective thing.

Ah, yeah, I accept that argument, especially now that digital sales count for the charts. I think. In the US and UK anyway, right?

As for Mercy, not all successful singles are 'catchy'.

If this were even a decade ago, I would've accepted that argument. Now? People want either a really good beat to dance to, or some bubblegum pop style catchiness. Just look at the top 40. Rock struggles to get a look-in, and when it does, it's the most watered down, catchy form. If all you need is a definitive chorus that repeats, Dream Theater's I Walk Beside You and Porcupine Tree's Lazarus would've both been top 20 hits. But ha, since when recently did progressive rock/metal chart?

In terms of here in the States:

I think that song has as much of a chance as anything else.
If the ultra catchy hook driven gimmicky Vertigo can't even crack the top 20, then it's ALL an uphill battle, so might as well just release something that represents the best of what you are doing, versus releasing what you think is gonna shoot up the charts.

They need to abandon this goal anyhow, at least here.
I think Mercy would chart on the Hot 100 in America, I really do.
Why? Because I'm old enough to remember when U2 didn't have to play down to it's audience, when WOWY could hit #1 even if it was almost totally different from anything else on mainstream radio or when The Fly was a musical message rather than a business interest, even if it wasn't a hit. People will and can rise to the occassion, they just have to take the risk.

I should say that when I said Mercy would flop, I was thinking specifically of the US charts. U2 could release just about anything in European countries like the UK, Ireland, and the Netherlands and it'll crack the top five for sure. Bono could recite four minutes of the London phone book while Edge tries to distort a charango and it'd go #1 in the UK. Those people sent bloody Crazy Frog to #1.

But back to the US charts. I understand that had downloads counted when Vertigo was released, it would've hit the top 20. In any case, I cannot at all see how Mercy could crack the US top fifty in today's climate. Top 100, if it's a lead single, yes. But geez, even when the charts were far more sensible and U2 was making an eagerly awaited comeback, The Fly could only manage #61. I have no faith in the American public to rise to the occasion and even send Mercy into the top fifty, let alone thirty, twenty, ten.

Would Mercy do well in Europe or in the South Pacific?
Well, it would need a radio edit for sure, outside of that, I don't know. I can't imagine it would flop anymore than several of the other singles.

Like I said, parts of Europe are a given no matter what the hell it is. And down here? If it's released to co-incide with the tour, it too could be four minutes of the London phone book and it'd go top five.

I think they've got to stop playing down to the audience.
Who cares if it flops? Would Numb ever in a million years be the lead single these days? No. But this isn't the same thing, Mercy isn't easily digestable or catchy or obviously radio friendly, but it could be a statement that U2 hasn't totally forgotten how to write a song like that, you know, the types of songs that everybody else is trying to write these days.

Is it reasonable to think U2 wants to recapture some of their old territory, rather than vacating it to the clone versions of today?
I don't know. I guess whatever optimism I have left for U2 is trying it's best to will me to believe.

Ultimately, I agree with sentiments like this. I wish U2 would do things like not playing down to their audience too. I wish they'd done the ballsy thing and released Fast Cars/Xanax And Wine as HTDAAB's lead single. But in today's climate ... well, I'm being optimistic too, but I'm really, really cynical of the music-buying public, and my cynicism gets more fierce by the day as I discover more bloody incredible bands that are just ignored by the mainstream.

wow, I sense some decent discussion in this thread unless someone gets their panties in a bunch.
Axver said:

But back to the US charts. I understand that had downloads counted when Vertigo was released, it would've hit the top 20. In any case, I cannot at all see how Mercy could crack the US top fifty in today's climate. Top 100, if it's a lead single, yes. But geez, even when the charts were far more sensible and U2 was making an eagerly awaited comeback, The Fly could only manage #61. I have no faith in the American public to rise to the occasion and even send Mercy into the top fifty, let alone thirty, twenty, ten.
True about Vertigo, it might have gotten inside the top 15 or so.
We'll never know, but it was a pretty decent hit for a rock band.

But in general, I'm just talking about hitting the chart, 4 of the 5 singles didn't hit the top 95 here, but they never had much of a chance anyhow.

I'd bet neither you or I would give two shits if U2 ever charted a single song again, on any chart, but it's something U2 want to do, so to factor in what they might do inthe future, it's necessary to look at it.

And I live here, beleive me I have less faith in the music buying public here than you probably do, but I think there is an audience for it. And if you give them a reason to go buy an EP for a song, or to go download it, they will and it doesn't really have to be spoonfed.

---------------------------------------
This isn't a direct response to Ax, but thoughts in general.
Just to bounce some ideas around, see what people think.

Want to know the difference for U2? To me, it's all images.
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are the same age as U2, and have been around about as long, and they have their lead single in the top 10 right now as we speak.

So, who are these fans and why don't they support U2 the same way (conceivably)? U2 has an image problem, and if they want hits they need to stop running away from their "base". I don't give a shit about the hits, a lot of us don't, but in their efforts to try and achieve these hits, I think they are playing ball on the wrong field.

How much different is All Because of You as the lead single, with no stupid Ipod bullshit? I guarantee you it's a bigger hit than it was. Granted the RHCP song is probably being held up by downloads, but I guess the only point is, there is an audience to get a hit like that and you don't have to bend over backwards dumbing yourself down to do so. And that's what I mean by the imagery, Vertigo is a fine song by itself, it like Discotheque was doomed by an image problem to a certain point. Those were destined to be hits, U2 just didn't deliver them well (enough to acheive what they want).

Please, when people read this understand what I am saying and don't infer what I am not. I don't give a damn about Ipod ads and the bullshit discussions about it, but it hurts U2's ability to take a single to the masses and sell it. Also, Vertigo was a decent hit as said before, but who here on this forum doesn't believe that thissong shouldn't have been a top 5 hit even here in America?

The reality is we've got snobs and dumbasses making up a fairly large chunk of our rock and roll music buying public. So if you say "fuck the bleeding ear brigade" and you've already lost them and you take your music to the rest of the masses and it isn't your stereotypical fluff, then you're, once again, playing ball in the wrong field.

The Ipod ad works for you 7 ways, and works against you 4 ways, if that makes sense. Meaning, yeah you get your exposure to Joe Blow average fan, but you turned somebody else off for sure.

When U2 rakes at the Grammies, same effect. Blowback.
Rattle and Hum days part deux? Could be coming,
I'm just saying, and have said for a long while, this pursuit of "relevance" is absurd and it will not and can't work.

Bon Jovi is in the top 25 here as well, but all quality or subjective music arguments aside, they don't have the same image problem U2 does.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have the "rare and unreleased" Itunes song on a CD, that said, I think if the band wanted to, they'd already do it back then.

I don't think Smile will be released on any future releases (see above paragraph), but I think Mercy will. It deserves more than being the "best B-side you ever heard", it doesn't fit on Bomb any more than Fast cars does (why oh why didn't they save those for the next album?), and the band realises its potential. (having nearly made the cut for the last album)

I know people think "Zooropa all over again" but do you really see the band that has taken so long to make the last 3 albums cranking up several songs less than 2 years since Bomb?
If we're getting anything U2 related this years it's Milan DVD.

All this said, I do think there is a stronger chance of a quicker follow-up for Bomb now. Have the producers pick out the best Bomb leftovers (meanwhile the band brings up demos till November), add Mercy, then after the tour ends lock yourself up in the studio and come up with something in late 2007. I don't think they can't come up with a strong album in about a year's time.

I think the band should either a) quit trying in US charts alltogether (the albums and tours are still doing well enough anyway, and they can't win in the ageist and urban genres dominated charts. "fight for your music" mentality aside) or b) start promoting the non-first singles too.

Last edited:
On second thought, scratch b).
For years now, it seems U2 can't get a top 40 hit in US unless it's the "new U2" hype, promoted first single. As seen with Bomb singles, it doesn't look like downloads will help. They started counting downloads after Vertigo and the rest of the singles tanked anyway. The attention spam of the public buying music is too short. They're losing airplay too, as Sting2 has shown.

Given the sales of albums and popularity of live shows lately, I'd stop worrying about public impression years ago. I wonder though, how much of the increased promotion work since 2000 is due to U2 being on Universal/Interscope in US?

U2 should convince Bono that the world can live without him, go to New-Zealand 2 months before their concerts, rent a house somewhere in the countryside with Lanois and Flood, lose Larry in the forest, record new songs, finish the tour and take holidays.

Then, back to the studios in february with Eno, they happily finish the album in July and release it in november.

do we have an estimate of where "Vertigo" would have charted had downloads been part of the equation?

"Vertigo" was a massive hit in the US, it was everywhere, even if it didn't chart that well. i think the band purposefully decided to release singles without too much fanfare after "vertigo" in order to prevent backlash, and seeing as how they don't do CD singles in the US anymore, it's a testament to how little they care about the US singles charts that are pretty much impenetrable. i don't understand how some of the "Bomb" singles weren't massive hits, especially OOTS, but it seems to be about luck and timing more than anything else, and it's just too easy to say that the masses are idiots. there's really no accounting for what hits and what doesn't, no matter what the highly paid consultants tell the record company with all their flow charts. i work in a creative business, and all the formulas in the world aren't necessarily going to give you a smash hit television show, nor a smash hit single.

for each album, the first single now acts as a calling card to let you know that they're back, and the album is more or less a calling card for the tour. while their singles don't do much and their airplay is decreasing, their tours are through the roof.

hence, i think it's a good bet that we're going to get a digital calling card for the end of the Vertigo tour and a big push on a single song, though i don't think they'll go so far as to tie it into another Apple product. think about something in between "electrical storm" and "vertigo."

ultimately, i think U2 are nearing the end of their "mass popularity" shelf life. ATYCLB has proved to be something of a miracle, much in the way that AB was, in terms of extending their visibility and vitality, of keeping them in the cultural consciousness. what ATYCLB and AB had, that "bomb" didn't, was a sense that something was at stake, a "narrative" through which the public can understand what exactly is at stake. would the mighty U2 rebound with another terrific album? (like the RHCP did with "californication" after the relative failure of "one hot minute") or will they finally go the way of the Stones?

for U2 to regain that sense of crisis, something needs to happen. sadly, the music itself is not enough. there needs to be some sort of cultural "narrative" that gets in the magazines and on the talk shows and in the blogs.

i thought the review of "bomb" on the Onion was dead-on:

[q]When "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" builds on a slow Adam Clayton bassline, a between-the-notes Larry Mullen drum tap, and a Bono vocal that builds in drama until it explodes with the line "You're the reason why the opera is in me," as The Edge unfurls a muscular, angelic guitar line that only he could play, U2 secures its status as the Biggest Band On Earth, assuming the planet is still big enough to hold it.[/q]

its as if we all know that no one is close to U2. they are undisputed giants. no one, except for maybe Coldplay (and it's their "competition" with U2 that drives their sales, this was the narrative through which "X&Y" was understood, and i think it had much to do with it's big-time first week sales ... is "X&Y" as good as JT? buy the record and find out!).

so, the question then becomes, who cares? do we really want to see U2 release another album of colossal, expertly performed, genuinely affecting rock songs? well, i do. but i'd buy the London phone book recording mentioned a few posts ago.

it's like rooting for the Yankees to win the World Series, or for Michael Phelps to win 8 more medals. it can be a little tedious to watch the big kids on the block own the block.

so, we need a crisis.

so ... thems just thoughts.

Last edited:
so, the question then becomes, who cares? do we really want to see U2 release another album of colossal, expertly performed, genuinely affecting rock songs?

Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen do care, they want "hits", "perfect finished songs", they want a first single, a second single, a third single to promote the album, etc.

Now, we can say what we want, i'm not a total fan of HTDAAB but U2 sold 10M records, the Mullen/Clayton strategy worked, there is no valid reason to change it.

If U2 were into re-using released singles i think bomb would have gone like this:

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes
4. Love and peace
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Electrical Storm
7. All Because of you
8. Crumbs
9. The Hands that built america
10. Original
11. Yahweh

and although that might of been better i still love bomb and the fact that U2 still have enough drive in them to write new material. The new album will be interesting cause it very well could be the last time they have a massive sales album and high charting. As for someone saying before about Fast Cars not being catchy i can't disagree more i can't get it out of my head after i listen to it

guill said:

Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen do care, they want "hits", "perfect finished songs", they want a first single, a second single, a third single to promote the album, etc.

Now, we can say what we want, i'm not a total fan of HTDAAB but U2 sold 10M records, the Mullen/Clayton strategy worked, there is no valid reason to change it.

yes, but the public doesn't care in the way that they once did.

There are only 10 shows left to finish the tour??? I'm thinking that the band, if they are intending to release anything - anytime soon, would definitely tie it into other promotion(s) - Music Rising, RED ipod & other RED stuff for Christmas, etc.

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
so you can speak on behalf of the whole public?

the charts speak.

:shrug:

so do ticket sales. demand to see U2 has never been higher. the demand to hear new U2 on the radio or MTV/VH1 isn't so high.

Irvine511 said:

the charts speak.

:shrug:

so do ticket sales. demand to see U2 has never been higher. the demand to hear new U2 on the radio or MTV/VH1 isn't so high.
in the U.S. maybe, but here in the UK they still get on VH1/MTV and the radio quite often, infact they were the most played artist along with interpol on BBC radio 6,

KUEFC09U2 said:
in the U.S. maybe, but here in the UK they still get on VH1/MTV and the radio quite often, infact they were the most played artist along with interpol on BBC radio 6,

Yeah, in the US they may noty have much strong hits but in europe they do... Since 2000 that almost every single (not counting OOTS) cracked the top5 in the UK, so, you can see for it. MTV is what we know today, so that shouldn't count here:wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:

in various radio formats in the US, U2 is king.

however, this does not translate into Top 100 success, which is dominated by rap/hip-hop.

it's a very, very, very complex market over here, and we had been talking about U2 in the US in regards to singles success. i agree that U2 remains on the radio and on MTV in the UK and most of Europe, but that is not as true in the US and other markets.

but the point of this thread was to discusss what the potential future for these rumored recordings might be, and i still thinks it makes perfect sense for them to do a small digital release with a marketing push behind only one single to sort of wrap up the extended "bomb" era, clean house, and then start fresh in 2007.

i also think they need to re-think how they are going to get back on the radio in the US (which might be an impossible task ... the market here seems so stratified that you're either Jessica Simpson or Wilco, either a pop princess or a brooding indie rocker who's adored all over Ann Arbor, MI -- if the Chili Peppers can do it, why can't they?

who gives a fucking shit.

none of this radio jibber jabber has anything to do with 'new album already in progress'. and now its 6 pages long with the same damn topic over and over. go start a new thread if you want to discuss 'us radio marketing'.

U2 is not worried about radio play this time around. they dont need it.

t8thgr8 said:
who gives a fucking shit.

none of this radio jibber jabber has anything to do with 'new album already in progress'. and now its 6 pages long with the same damn topic over and over. go start a new thread if you want to discuss 'us radio marketing'.

U2 is not worried about radio play this time around. they dont need it.

and who asked you?

if you don't like the thread, find somewhere else to complain.

and you're dead wrong about U2 not being worried about radio play.

who still listens to the radio? you can download whatever you want when you want, radio is good for 'death crap for cutie yay!'. what is the one thing that hurts u2 right now? radio songs. no one takes radio seriously. as long as they put silly shit on the radio theyll never win new fans. even if its somewhat good, people, for the most part, still turn their nose up at it. what the fuck do they care about radio nowadays? they have almost too much success and market share. and too much of a good thing is what?

anybody?

they can be in the spotlight without diluting themselves with radio shit songs. They couldnt beat em with their own game so they joined em. They then owned and currently own them. I know its time to move on and im not even in the fucking band.

were they concerned with radio during zooroppa's conception??
anyone?

so what the fuck ever. get with the program. radio is a dying medium infested with shit.

And Irvine, suck my ass. Ill complain right here because THIS thread was hijacked by chart talk.

When I was a little kid, I thought it was cool that U2 WASN'T on the radio, i.e. the UF days. To me, they were so unique for them to be lump into the Top 40 pop music and it was great that I liked a band that nobody knew about.

Then JT hit and they hit it top 40 and MTV big-time. Then they totally became popular with AB and Zoo Station. Now, they are older and they can't get radio or MTV play anymore, and I am jealous that these other bands and artists get more play. But at least they got their fair share of radio play and I'm satisfied with that. They'll make some hit songs in the future. Look at Beautiful Day and Vertigo. They just won't make as many as some of the younger artists, who probably won't last as long as U2.

I created this list a long time ago... I kept a running tally

this predates "bomb" but we can overlook that :)

These are for the new album only

Left off of Behind:
Original of the Species*
Yesterday and Tomorrow*
Sun Moon Stars *
Sometime *
Stir My Soul
Stranded *
Bulldozer *
Levitation-Bono describes this song as a direction that the album could have gone.
Jubilee
Novelty Act-rumoured song to appear on Stuck in a Moment single.
Busy Bee-seen on Beautiful Day video. Again the white board under Elevation.

The proof of these most of these titles is from Propaganda. The white board was listed and these were songs listed. (*) Some of these songs are mentioned often and could land on the next album.

New and Improved:
One Step Closer to Knowing
Tough
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
A Man's a Man
You can't give your heart away
I Love You (played during the elevation tour on Edge's b-day)
All Because You (5/10)
An American Prayer (12/02)
Native Son (2/14) [used to be full metal jacket](7/13)
Lead Me in the Way I Should Go (2/22)
Xanax and Wine
?[the name of a god...budda, alla, jawah, apollo, zeus] (7/13)
*Again (5/21)
*Try to Believe this (5/21)
**rumoured to be on the Tomb Raider II Sound Track

U2dork, thats exactly what I was looking for, here is the copy and paste:

The Unforgettable Fire Songs
• White City
• Celtic Trap
• Bird Whistle
• Return of Sting Ray Guitar
• African Sunrise (described as “filler”) -aka: Spirits Of The Rising Sun [Probably “THREE SUNRISES”?]
• 3 Minutes to Midnight
• Percussion #1 and #2
• French Song
• Slow Drive
(“Refer to ‘Wire’ dream section for ideal bass sound -Adam”)
All That You Can’t Leave Behind Songs
• Love Is All Around
• Good Morning
• Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own (DooWop Version)
• Sun, Moon and Stars
• Jubilee
• Helicopter
• Once Upon A Time (“...when I look at the world—with Indian singing intro”
• Miracle Drug
• Never Say Goodbye (“...love will never...”
• Most Beautiful Girl
• Could Have Fooled Me!
• Baby’s Got No Home
• Higher Than Love
• Frog Rock with synth part (“...Wanting to believe”)
• If I Had You To Myself
• Cowboy Miracle
• Zubu House (“with ‘tears’ guitar”)
• Grace (TV mix)
• Density Trap
• Come On (E. Nord riff) (“We are all on/off the ground in this town...”)
• High Life House
• Jam Man (track 6)
• Lightening To Monday
• Velvet Voice (Beach Boys feel)
• Taffy Apple (with orphan riff)
• Levitate ($1M Movie Mix)
• Young Blood
• Peru
• “Scott Walker”
• With My Body Thee Worship
• Last Week Of My Life
• Yet Another (“roy”-?)
• Don’t Steel My Heart
• Frontier Of The Skin
• A Man and A Woman (Bono and Brian: “Boomerang 3”)
• Night Shift/Harder/Love and Peace
• Not Supposed To Be This Way
• Fallen Angel
• Guardian Angel
* (Work on “Stuck” with the three different vocal approaches)
• Always (with the “With Or Without You” vocal approach)
• Sweat Of The Sun
• Bulldozer (“complex chords, but it works)
• Are You Going To Wait Forever?
• Roll The Rocking Chair
• The Discovery
• Walk Through The Circle (“...caught in a moment, caught in a time that doesn’t change...”)
• Gum Tree
• Big Jesus About Town
• But The Tears Will Come Soon
• Rock My Soul
• Identity Crisis
• Love Will Never Say Goodbye

Here is a more organized recap.

Left off of Achtung Baby:
She's gonna blow your house down
Heaven and Hell
Chances

From the Outtakes-very little chance of these songs making the light of day.

Left off of Zooropa:
Untidy Life
Nosejob-described as a "crazy sounding song"
Jesus Drove Me
Piano: Poem
Landscape
Cry Baby
Indian Jam
Sponge
Lose Control

the list of these songs came from the U2 bible "Until the End of the World"...the songs are mentioned in what Flanigan called a Chinese menu when they were catagorizing the songs for the album. I would be surprised if any of these songs made it.

Left off of Pop:? Can't remember reading about any. The only curve ball thrown to fans was "Big Girls are Best" but any help here would be appriciated.

Left off of Behind:
Original of the Species*
Yesterday and Tomorrow*
Sun Moon Stars *
Sometime *
Stir My Soul
Stranded *
Bulldozer *
Levitation-Bono describes this song as a direction that the album could have gone.
Jubilee
Novelty Act-rumoured song to appear on Stuck in a Moment single.
Busy Bee-seen on Beautiful Day video. Again the white board under Elevation.

The proof of these most of these titles is from Propaganda. The white board was listed and these were songs listed. (*) Some of these songs are mentioned often and could land on the next album.

New and Improved:
One Step Closer to Knowing
Tough
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
A Man's a Man
You can't give your heart away
I Love You
All Because You (5/10)
Full Metal Jacket (11/04)
An American Prayer (12/02)
Native Son (2/14)
Lead Me in the Way I Should Go (2/22)

These songs I have read the band talking about. A very good chance we will see these songs.

some of the long list was from the rock and roll hall of fame....Eno's notes.....

t8thgr8 said:
im just gonna throw this out there, dig it up when im right.

short album (hardcopy :|) in november

new orleans influnced, and ill bet that gibson shows up

tour resumes in december.

umm nah not a new orleans oriented album. I would like to see more of a tsunami oriented album. I am just getting kinda tired of hearing so much about new orleans when the tsunami tragedy killed 300,000 + people and seems to be largely forgatten.

I would rather not see U2 record anything related to natural disasters.

Swan269 said:

*Again (5/21)
• Miracle Drug
• Night Shift/Harder/Love and Peace
• Bulldozer (“complex chords, but it works)

I think I have to rethink my theory on Bulldozer being part of Love and Peace, from this info, they sound like two different songs.

Also, how many of you remember when 'Again' was rumored?
That might have come from U2log, I remember that and the other one that was rumored to be on Tomb Raider II. (The other one was Try To Beleive This) nobody believed that rumor because of that song title.

But "Again" that my friends, sure sounds like it could be Mercy.

Also, I thought Miracle Drug was new to the Lillywhite sessions, apparently they just dusted it off and gave it a new whirl.

Thats interesting, wonder how Bulldozer sounds then. Wasn't it Mullen's favourite that they were working on at the time?

I knew Miracle Drug had to be an ATYCLB song, it just feels like part of that album really.

Back
Top Bottom