New Album Theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windylad

Babyface
With all the talk from Willie Williams planning new future U2 tours, my guess would be they would have a new album out to coincide with the 20th Anniversary of the Joshua Tree Album.

Lets face it, that was the album the really launced U2 worldwide and 2007 would sound logical. Oasis celebrated 10 years since Definately Maybe and I reckon U2 will do the same.

Er, let's hope U2 doesn't do that. They're not a band that like to look back or rest on their laurels, even ATYCLB and HTDAAB have been slow inches forward.

windylad said:
With all the talk from Willie Williams planning new future U2 tours, my guess would be they would have a new album out to coincide with the 20th Anniversary of the Joshua Tree Album.

:huh: Hell no. Why would they record a new album to somehow celebrate an old one?

Re: Re: New Album Theory

doubleU said:

:huh: Hell no. Why would they record a new album to somehow celebrate an old one?

because they're smart businessmen and they tend to think in these terms. a 20th album retrospective would be great publicity for a new album, that could easily follow a few months after.

not a bad theory windylad.

too bad they'd never have the album finished in time... :|

Re: Re: Re: New Album Theory

Dorian Gray said:

because they're smart businessmen and they tend to think in these terms. a 20th album retrospective would be great publicity for a new album, that could easily follow a few months after.

It's a horrible business idea. If they were promoting a JT reissue, or a DVD that is somehow JT related; then yes you would use the fact that it's 20 years old.

But if you are promoting a brand new model of a sports car you don't release it and promoted with the 60th anniversary of the Corvette.

Would Speilberg promote a new movie by releasing it on the 30th anniversary of ET? No, because he's not a moron.

1) I don't see a release as soon as 2007

2) If there were to be a release late in 2007, it will simply be a coincidence that JT was released 20 years earlier. I certainly don't see any marketing of the new album resting on this fact.

I agree with what was said before, that U2 isn't a band that looks on the past. If the goal is to remain relevant, the ticket would not be to bask in past achievements and I think they realize this.

Oasis released a Definitely Maybe DVD for that album's tenth anniversary, but they didn't release a new album that year.

U2 should release an album in 2006 to commemorate the tenth anniversary of ten years before they should release a damn album.

Last edited:
They should all wear wigs on the next tour to commemorate 25 years of very bad haircuts.

(apart from larry of course - who should just wear a vest to celebrate 25 years of string vests)

That seems to be a recurring theme on these boards lately, people horrified that Pop is almost 10 years old haha.

I'm going to go the Magic Kingdom next year, load up my Ipod w/ U2 Pop, and run around Fantasy Land till I feel young again.

powerhour24 said:
That seems to be a recurring theme on these boards lately, people horrified that Pop is almost 10 years old haha.

What horrifies me more is that in those 10 years, we've had only two new albums.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Album Theory

doubleU said:

Would Speilberg promote a new movie by releasing it on the 30th anniversary of ET? No, because he's not a moron.

The 30th anniversary of Jaws came out on June 14, 2005.
Speilberg's War of the Worlds got it's premiere June 13th, 2005. It was released worldwide on the weekend of June 29th.

From a strict business sense, and this has nothing to do with 'resting on their laurels' or whatever, it is commercially beneficial to do arrange a release as such.

U2 are smart... They probably wouldn't market a new album alongside a 20th anniversary release, but I could easily see them generating buzz by releasing a remastered JT early in 2007, and then an album that summer.

This is what George Lucas did in the months leading up to Episode III. The Original Star Wars trilogy was released to DVD long before he had originally planned. At one time he swore it would only be released after all the films were released. Why would he suddenly change his mind on this? My guess is to renew interest in a franchise that had been getting a lot of slack.

Now, as I said before, I doubt U2 could have their album ready in time for such a marketing strategy, but if they could, I think they would.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Album Theory

Dorian Gray said:

The 30th anniversary of Jaws came out on June 14, 2005.
Speilberg's War of the Worlds got it's premiere June 13th, 2005. It was released worldwide on the weekend of June 29th.

But he didn't market it as such. That's my point.

Dorian Gray said:

U2 are smart... They probably wouldn't market a new album alongside a 20th anniversary release, but I could easily see them generating buzz by releasing a remastered JT early in 2007, and then an album that summer.

Maybe, but that wasn't the original theory.

Dorian Gray said:

This is what George Lucas did in the months leading up to Episode III. The Original Star Wars trilogy was released to DVD long before he had originally planned. At one time he swore it would only be released after all the films were released. Why would he suddenly change his mind on this? My guess is to renew interest in a franchise that had been getting a lot of slack.

But those are related pieces. That is my whole point, you would never want to market an entirely different album with an aniversary of another.

Anyway, this is turning into an argument over semantics.

the real issue at hand is that we're all getting old, and realizing it. :(

Achtung_Bebe said:
1) I don't see a release as soon as 2007

2) If there were to be a release late in 2007, it will simply be a coincidence that JT was released 20 years earlier. I certainly don't see any marketing of the new album resting on this fact.

I agree with what was said before, that U2 isn't a band that looks on the past. If the goal is to remain relevant, the ticket would not be to bask in past achievements and I think they realize this.

true. If anything, I'd think that U2 would want to avoid any 'pointing to the fact' that they had actually been around so long as to have had their most famous album be 2 decades old...

....doesn't really go in line with 'reaching out to the kids.....'

:|

To buy time, and cash in on current press, I think U2 will release
Popmart & Zoo Tv on DVD - then the IMAX Vertigo before the new album. There's still money to be made with the old before they HAVE to release the new.

SunBloc said:
There's still money to be made with the old before they HAVE to release the new.

At this point, I don't think they'll ever HAVE to release anything.

I disagree with the OP.

It is totally NOT their style to commemorate/celebrate anything they've done in the past. They are businessmen, but being forward-looking businessmen is part of their image.

Furthermore, Oasis can currently be heard doing AT & T ads; they are done. They can only look back...

doubleU said:

At this point, I don't think they'll ever HAVE to release anything.

You're probably right, but don't ruin it for me! :|

If the Joshua Tree were to be remastered and re-released for 2007, what are the chances of the album being expanded to include B-sides or other tracks recorded around that time?

Wasn't the Joshua Tree remastered in 1996? I haven't actually heard this "gold" CD, but I don't think it had many changes to it. I wouldn't have been surprised if "Exit" was remastered at higher volume, but I don't think that was done.

If it were to be remastered again in 2007, I'd put chances of an expanded/altered tracklist at none; however, if b-sides were to be included on a separate disc as a bonus feature that would be cool.

I heard exit was remastered, but I'll never know.... Idon't have 150 dollars to buy that cd

I didn't realize it was $150 :ohmy:

I also didn't realize "Exit" was remastered :hmm: I thought the track lengths varied a bit, and there was some adjustments made to the end of MOTD, but other than that I guess I'm in the dark.

"Exit" still starts out very quietly and then builds up to normal volume. I don't know why people think it's a mistake that needs correcting. It's a deliberate effect.

Back
Top Bottom