New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevey

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
New song! You know what comes next: fangirl, claim disappointment, speculate, rinse, repeat.

Well, I know it's not a song from the new album, it's something special for a special man/film, but I don't like the sound of it. Too pop for me. Great voice though. I really really hope U2 did not go that direction, because it is not what I expect from them. I'm getting a bit scared because it's the 3rd time they come up with pop songs that sound the same, last year's Christmas song, Broken Bells and this one. I know the 2 first were covers, but the pop, light, Coldplay ish sound is the same all the time. Keyboards, very light guitar, boring drums..... anyway, I'm still excited and confident for the album, at least a few songs will have some guts, hopefully!

Please don't scream at me that I am never happy, it's my opinion, that's it....:reject:

tumblr_mail4pChP11rvrag7.bmp

So this is the first taste of DM producing ?

:shrug: It's not the full song and the trailer has dialogue over it but this is nothing stunningly different. It sounds like more 00's teritorry continued, and veering into Coldplay teritorry.

judging by the write up on the official website, sounds like U2 just recorded this within the past couple of months..

The band's friendship with Nelson Mandela goes way back and it was after seeing early cuts of the film that they were inspired to write a song...

The band saw various cuts of the film over the summer and worked diligently to write a song that truly reflects Nelson Mandela. I think they did a brilliant job honoring the man and the leader they have known for over 20 years.'

Where can I hear this song?

Everyone's talking about it as if they've heard the entire thing in good quality?

Well, any new music from U2 is a good thing, and this is progress. Is it confirmed that DM produced this track? Do we know if it is a one-off recorded for this movie, or was it just a song taken from their recent sessions?

But aside from showing a pulse at :47, the song's (what we've heard) boring as a dog's ass. I'm sorry, but it is. The kind of Stabucks-lite U2 that I'm really hoping is NOT what we get from this record. Having said that, the track was picked I guess because it's inoffensive and generic enough to be the background music in a movie trailer (couldn't they find, I don't know, a South African musician?), so I'm really (mostly) not going to make any conclusions with regard to the new record based on this. But since Mandella pushed the envelope and was a revolutionary, the least U2 could do was the same for a song about him (assuming the song's about him).

Incidentally, I have high hopes for this film (I admire Mandella as a fellow peacemaker), and I hope it can escape the U2 curse, as the presence of a U2 song (if indeed the song is in the film) typically guarantees the movie will suck, since I don't believe there's ever been a movie with an original U2 song in it thats been any good.

Everyone remain calm.

I don't believe there's ever been a movie with an original U2 song in it thats been any good.

Gatsby had an original U2 song in it (albeit in cover form) and I thought that it was fantastic (although many critics disagreed). Does that count?

Regardless, I don't think that it's really with reading too much into this song as an indicator of what the next album will sound like. It could be an indicator, but really, would we expect a song for a Nelson Mandela movie to sound any different?

Bono's voice does sound great, as it did for the Aslan cover. I'm guessing that they were recorded at similar times.

Well, any new music from U2 is a good thing, and this is progress. Is it confirmed that DM produced this track? Do we know if it is a one-off recorded for this movie, or was it just a song taken from their recent sessions?

But aside from showing a pulse at :47, the song's boring as a dog's ass. I'm sorry, but it is. The kind of Stabucks-lite U2 that I'm really hoping is NOT what we get from this record. Having said that, the track was picked I guess because it's inoffensive and generic enough to be the background music in a movie trailer (couldn't they find, I don't know, and South African musician?), so I'm really (mostly) not going to make any conclusions with regard to the new record based on this. But since Mandella pushed the envelope and was a revolutionary, the least U2 could do was the same for a song about him (assuming the song's about him).

Incidentally, I have high hopes for this film (I admire Mandella as a fellow peacemaker), and I hope it can escape the U2 curse, as the presence of a U2 song (if indeed the song is in the film) typically guarantees the movie will suck, since I don't believe there's ever been a movie with an original U2 song in it thats been any good.

Everyone remain calm.

really, i can't believe you spelled his name wrong :tsk:

Well, any new music from U2 is a good thing, and this is progress. Is it confirmed that DM produced this track?

But aside from showing a pulse at :47, the song's boring as a dog's ass. I'm sorry, but it is. The kind of Stabucks-lite U2 that I'm really hoping is NOT what we get from this record. Having said that, the track was picked I guess because it's inoffensive and generic enough to be the background music in a movie trailer (couldn't they find, I don't know, and South African musician?), so I'm really (mostly) not going to make any conclusions with regard to the new record based on this. But since Mandella pushed the envelope and was a revolutionary, the least U2 could do was the same for a song about him (assuming the song's about him).

Everyone remain calm.

The Gangs of New York was very good.

This new song is very bad. It's like they wanted to make a Coldplay song but have be less brash and ballsy. Bono's voice makes me cringe on this. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what's on the new record (and hopefully DM had nothing to do with it), but I was hoping that they'd eradicated these tendencies toward MOR pap smear ballads.

Gatsby had an original U2 song in it (albeit in cover form) and I thought that it was fantastic (although many critics disagreed). Does that count?

I probably wasn't clear when I said "original" U2 song...I meant a song not on previously on a regular studio record. Something like Hands that Built America or Batman.

A sick mean man getting his jollies from being a sick mean man
Paranoia has been a big destroyer for you!! wrong about the wash cycle
The return investment from you = many happy island folks

I like this post.

If you know Mandela's life, and in particular a famous story about that spelling of his name whist he was in prison, you'll know the spelling there was actually a homage, and not a typo.

ahhh so you were just being PRETENTIOUS then :D

Where can I hear this song?

Everyone's talking about it as if they've heard the entire thing in good quality?

Yep, sums it up perfectly :up:

Judging U2's new "direction" and possibly the new album by a 30 second clip with talking and noises all over it. Great way to start a weekend.

But this is only 30 seconds?

Judging by all the comments in this thread I'm lead to believe you all have heard it in full?

yes, you would think that.. but nope, people are judging the whole song based on this 40 second cut and paste edit

yes, you would think that.. but nope, people are judging the whole song based on this 40 second cut and paste edit

I'm not even close to being the biggest optimist re: this band but this is ridiculous yet strangely very indicative of Interference (I can extend this to other U2 message boards, atu2 is experiencing a similar problem).

I'm not even close to being the biggest optimist re: this band but this is ridiculous yet strangely very indicative of Interference (I can extend this to other U2 message boards, atu2 is experiencing a similar problem).

what you mean? people liking or not liking it? what's the general reception elsewhere?

i really love these little bits i've heard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom