New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. If anything he's just giving a bit of insight into why things take so long with them. Which process they know so well by now that the extra time required for it is most certainly built into their plan to have it in our hands no later than April 2014.

Bono have told the press that they realy want a radio-hit, which make the odds for an more deep album smaller...(thats what I call "in it for the money)

Did U2 wanting a hit with the Joshua Tree make the "odds for an more deep album smaller"? Sounds like they've always been in it for the money.

I'm of the old-fashioned opinion that the music is either there or it isn't. If it's there, an artist shouldn't need 128 mixes of anything. And if all this new fangled technology is really causing them such consternation, they could always...simplify the way they go about things.

It's easy to say from the outside looking in, but it's something artists deal with all the time.

Pearl Jam recently re-released Ten the way "they originally wanted it mixed". I've heard Thom Yorke talk about how he cringes about the mixes of some of their earlier work. I've heard artist who are "purists" who fret over and over about punching in a vocal because they don't like one note but they love the rest of the take. It really is a daunting task, I know in my own recordings I've spent hours on one 4 minute song trying to get the mix the way I heard it in my head.

A writer will agonize about their books artwork and how it's presented, a painter will fret about how their work is hung... I think it's different for every artist, but for some the work isn't done once the paint has dried or the recording is done. It's why some musicians purposely use vintage analog equipment so they eliminate some of that process.

Didn't McGuiness talk about this in U2 By U2? How recording now gives them too many options, and when you're choosing between mix 127 and mix 128, you've lost the plot?
I think it was Edge talking about Hawkmoon 269, which was number of the mix that they ended up using.

I'm of the old-fashioned opinion that the music is either there or it isn't. If it's there, an artist shouldn't need 128 mixes of anything.
I think the band would agree with you on this- in part. Yes, ideally you shouldn't need them, but this always has to be held in balance with their bigger imperative, "Don't be crap." It's a dynamic tension that isn't meant to get resolved but to inform their process. Oscar has it exactly right- it took them 269 mixes to get Hawkmoon, but damn did they ever get it. Are we really going to wish that they quit earlier?

NME have posted the trailer but I got excited when it said scroll down to hear the song,for one glorious moment I thought it would be the whole thing!

I would think we'd hear the full song within the next month. I guess I'd be surprised if we didn't.

PS. I hadn't said so earlier, and nothing new, but U2.com should be bitch slapped for the hype they built last week.

I mean I'm pretty sure each one of them is in some recording studio recording something, but sometimes I wonder if they are indeed recording the same album together :lol: Everyone has their own theory.

At least we know all four of them were in London yesterday for a trip with the underground.

Where are the pics of them on the tube??

got this from the atu2 forums

"We are in the studio finishing the album. Now we are in the bad phase in which we have realized that the benefits of new technology leads us to have hundreds of options. Instead of the creative process [going] faster, it [slows down]. That's where we are now. We are in a situation where we have so many options that do not know what to do."

Larry sobre el nuevo disco de U2: “Tenemos tantas opciones que no sabemos qué hacer”

:love:

:dance: Time to freak the fuck out Interf! :dance:

I think it was Edge talking about Hawkmoon 269, which was number of the mix that they ended up using.

I think the band would agree with you on this- in part. Yes, ideally you shouldn't need them, but this always has to be held in balance with their bigger imperative, "Don't be crap." It's a dynamic tension that isn't meant to get resolved but to inform their process. Oscar has it exactly right- it took them 269 mixes to get Hawkmoon, but damn did they ever get it. Are we really going to wish that they quit earlier?

:lol: And then they played it live and pissed all over the 269 studio mixes!

When I first read it I actually thought they meant the means of release. With all the digital/streaming options and packages these days..

Yes, ideally you shouldn't need them, but this always has to be held in balance with their bigger imperative, "Don't be crap." It's a dynamic tension that isn't meant to get resolved but to inform their process.

Let's add to that they're 4 thinking heads. Nobody has a marginal role and everyone has to be happy with the final thing. At least that's how their output has always been officially described (see what made AB the album it is). Regarding this discussion, the mixing/additional production is a pivotal stage, I believe.

Bono have told the press that they realy want a radio-hit, which make the odds for an more deep album smaller...(thats what I call "in it for the money)

No, it means they want to be popular. Read my last post, I addressed this, it is not the same thing. U2 do not need anymore money. They are "set".

They've wanted radio hits since they started. That's nothing new. Bono's biggest concern with U2 is them remaining relevant in the public eye. There's nothing wrong with that.

Weird, my sources told me that the album would be more of a mix of Iron Maiden and Savage Garden.

Somebody reads interference...

http://transatlanticdiablog.wordpre...-by-u2-and-we-really-like-it-ten-reasons-why/

Some fans are as critical as the band itself. Some fans complain about pushing back album dates (well, they may be right sometimes), they complain about music that has not been released to this date, about rumours that are certainly untrue, about artwork that’s not presented – and about the clothes the band wears. Check the fan-forums for those conversations. Some fans even complain about a piece of a new song the band has released last week. All of a sudden. Without any hint.

:wave: hi author :wave:

Did U2 wanting a hit with the Joshua Tree make the "odds for an more deep album smaller"? Sounds like they've always been in it for the money.

I always like his words in this interview, "we might lose some of the popkids, but we dont need them"
U2 - Zoo TV - Opening Night (1992) - YouTube

The thing is that JT/AB/Zooropa/Pop was so much unsafe and also deeper.
Miracle Drug, SUC, Elevation, UC, COBL, IGCIIDGCT, CFYT... have this "safe rocking sound" that are a bit booring.

Some fans excuse that with "they are older now, they dont have the same creativity as when they where young"...
But I dont agree on that, when they make songs like MOS, Fez, COL, Soon, NLOTH they have alot more to give then those standard rock songs.
Im pretty sure that all of those songs that didnt make it to the NLOTH album and the other songs from SOA might be in the list over songs that are more creative.

Watchning the videos from when they where in Fez and recording was amazing, then everything went to overproduced. We need are more RAW sound :)

No doubt!

Nothing like an old fashioned uninhibited bitchfest to make your fandom look like a bunch of impossible-to-please complaining wankers. It's like we think are all just sitting in the living room here together, but it's a room with very big open bay windows and a busy street outside.

So, where can I hear this Mandela song snippet? Would appreciate someone pointing in the right direction, as I'm not a paying member of U2.com(though I might pay the fee just for the tickets next year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom