New album - Spring 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is far too much namecalling, personal attacks etc. in this thread. If you all cant discuss your opinions without the 'fuck yous and fuck offs' this thread will be closed.

Wow, I dont know if I want to step in to this but I think I might take a stab at it :|

I think it has less to do with age then what is going on inside U2 right now. All of them admit that because of growing needs (Bono's politics, Edge's Family....) it is getting harder and harder to live in the music. And believe me as an aspiring musician, it is impossible to make music a 9-5 job.

And the writing is not even the hardest part. They have to deal with the prospects of another tour, countless studio nights and the possibility (God Forbid) a flop. It’s a hard life.

I think U2 has plenty left in them and I cant wait for an album. However I would like to see an album that has put its time in the shops and comes out cleaner for it, not rushed.

I think people's ideas of creativity change as they get older.

Maybe when you are 20 or 25, you have the idea to be big and bold and make grand statements to everyones ideals, with the idea that you can change the world, or even the world inside of you.

Maybe when you are 50 or 55, you have the idea to be good and sound to your own ideas of what is creative and the understanding that you can't change the world, and you don't need to change yourself because you spent 25 years doing just that.

or some bullshit like that.

I just think people do most certainly change. The people who say "people don't change" are the ones who get stuck in a rut and become boring assholes.

So if you are a creative person, who naturally changes over time, wouldn't you naturally change your creative instincts too?

I dunno, something like that. Imagine it was really profound and just nod. :wink:

This thread has lost it's primar meaning and that is New Album.
That's not lack/unlack of creativity when you're older.

Well I've only just heard Native Son and Xanax & Wine for the first time in the last 10 minutes (I know, I know).....

I dunno if they're better or worse (I think Xanax shits all over Fast Cars but still don't think it's great), but there's something in them that definitely is lacking from their offspring. Maybe it's just the over production of the finished product vs the rawness of these? Dunno.

What's my point? Not sure what my point is, but I hear hope in them.

U2DMfan said:

Maybe when you are 20 or 25, you have the idea to be big and bold and make grand statements to everyones ideals, with the idea that you can change the world, or even the world inside of you.

Maybe when you are 50 or 55, you have the idea to be good and sound to your own ideas of what is creative and the understanding that you can't change the world, and you don't need to change yourself because you spent 25 years doing just that.

I just think people do most certainly change. The people who say "people don't change" are the ones who get stuck in a rut and become boring assholes.

So if you are a creative person, who naturally changes over time, wouldn't you naturally change your creative instincts too?

I dunno, something like that. Imagine it was really profound and just nod. :wink:

thank you, you are smart, unlike other people in this thread

When you're young, you are looking for your own voice. You will fail more, but also hit the target a few times. Therefore you are in a sense forced to be creative when you search - failing and succeed. When you get older and wiser, you have found your voice, and you do what you know, better than before. Certainly that's creative - too still sound fresh and exciting. That's what U2 is doing now. They know what they are good at, and they do it. And they push their sound all the time. And thank God for that. HTDAAB doesn't sound like AB or JT or POP or UF.
A new album very soon would not surprise me. I doubt it will be this year, but maybe the next. Some say 2006, and it ends up being delayed for a year, so we all can go back to discussing the new rumoured album and rumoured songs and rumoured album name and rumoured what not.
I just love it.

Last edited:
Every time I get my hopes up for an early release date I end up being disappointed. Plus this is U2. Come on folks.

I think they should release an album in 2006 though. I think U2's biggest flaw over the last 5 years is they haven't been spontaneous enough. They've fined tuned their sound so much that they've become predictable. HTDAAB was great, but it was a little... boring in some ways. It's so formuliac. They're sure to have the fast paced rock, the emotional ballad, the funky rock song, the soulful bluesy ballad, the epic romantic song, the slow ambient song, and the uplifting God song. Sure, these songs are good, but it's become so predictable. Can you imagine them releasing another Your Blue Room, Stateless or Slug? Holy crapiola those songs were incredible. I'm afraid we'll never see anything like that again though!

Remember Zooropa? You my not feel the same way about it that I do, but to me that album has more lasting appeal than any U2 album. They weren't trying to create a U2 album that spanned all genres, they went with a vibe they got and ran with it. Songs like Zooropa, Lemon, Stay and Dirty Day were completely amazing, and none of them were very mainstream. The whole album is just brilliant IMO. It doesn't span alot of genres, but it does what it does brilliantly.

I think if U2 released an album in 2006 it may end up like another Zooropa. I don't want a bunch of big teary eyed ballads or hard rocking songs, I want something new. I want something spontaneous and creative. Fast Cars was recorded in one day and look how great that turned out. We need something new and different.

That's my two cents. I still doubt we'll get a 2006 album.

Last edited:
an album that sounds like Fast Cars, Love and Peace, and Mercy would be alright with me:wink:

They just need a new direction, and it's rele hurting them by taking a while to release their albums i think

Infinitum98 said:

thank you, you are smart, unlike other people in this thread

Here are some more people you've never heard of:

I. M. Pei
Preston Sturges
Toni Morrison (Nobel Prize winner; first novel at 39)
George Balanchine

There are more, but you can spend some time figuring out who these folks are. :)

U2DMfan said:

:up: you win

Back
Top Bottom