New album - Spring 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VertigoGal said:
oh come on, lets not rain on everybody's parade now. we can dream:wink:

... so dream out loud and don't let that bastard's promises bring your expectations down. :reject: :uhoh:

:wink:

The "guitar-driven" album was supposed to be the Chris Thomas project, all those quotes surrounding the album were from his time with U2..when he left I don't believe anyone in the band was making those claims..In fact I remember Bono saying the album was getting too one-dimensional with all the rock stuff they had. Anyway, I am delighted its going to be a guitar-rocker, it'll be interesting to see if they can cut it in that regard...a raw nuts and bolts album in the vein of the out-takes will be very welcome..

Last edited:
Re: Re: New album - Spring 2006

typhoon said:

Bomb was supposed to be punk rock from Venus, Edge rediscovering the guitar, a bluer kind of white, and all that shit, and they were cutting out songs for being too guitar-driven?

Maybe this new release will be the "punk rock from venus" thingie;)

Re: Re: New album - Spring 2006

typhoon said:

Bomb was supposed to be punk rock from Venus, Edge rediscovering the guitar, a bluer kind of white, and all that shit, and they were cutting out songs for being too guitar-driven?

Yes, back when they were working with Thomas. 2002/2003, before the album started getting a new direction and before Lillywhite got on board.

12 Vertigos or All because of you's kind of album? Pass.

I could see an album in 2006; they must have loads of leftovers from the last two albums, if the tour ends in early 2006 (Australia, Mexico, Japan and that's it IMO - I doubt the even more US shows rumour), that could mean finishing it by Fall of that year (early 2007 at the latest). Consider they have way too little material for the third Best of too.

What is also notable is that we now have Bono, Edge, Adam and Lillywhite all talking about it, even as early as the first leg of the current tour.
As opposed to pretty much only Bono talking at the late dates of Elevation. ("we hope we won't keep you waiting too long for our next album" sounds a bit different to me than "there could be a new album in 2006, we're on it now")

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: New album - Spring 2006

U2girl said:
Consider they have way too little material for the third Best of too.

Do they have to make Best Of "2000-2010"?
Or is it possible it may be called "2000-2015" or "2000-2020" or "2000- The End"?
Did they sign the deal for 3 Best Of of decades... or is it just the band's idea?

If there is a new album coming out so be it, more U2 for the "fans" to love, hate and generally rant, rave, cry or dance about..........

Layton said:
Lol------If this early 2006 thing comes true I'll put on a velvet dress and give a private show. Of course, Bono is fond of saying HTDAAB is their first album. Usually second albums come soon after the first, but they also usually suck.

Not "(Whats the Story?) Morning Glory"

Well, I guess everything is speculation until the album's in the shops.

For some reason, though, I do believe the hype this time. I have a feeling they'll have one out in 2006, do the Aussie/Japan/European dates to support that album (a'la Zooropa) by the end of 2006, then take a few months off, and then back in the studio to put out a new album by early 2008. If they're called HTDAAB their first album, they'll do as most bands to and release an album every two years for the first three or four. (taking us to 2010, hopefully)

u2 will never, ever release an album of any sort in spring, summer, or winter again.

everything has to be in time to cash in on the christmas/thanksgiving spending sprees.

that's my take,

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
I heard the new album is gonna be out, TOMORROW :wink: :evil:

It's gonna be called "Punk Rock from Pluto". A very cold and raw album.

Hey, what the hell would happen if U2 spontaneously DID release an album? No marketing beforehand, kept it under wraps, and then one day - BAM! New album, new single, have fun kids.

:drool:

Zoomerang96 said:
u2 will never, ever release an album of any sort in spring, summer, or winter again.

everything has to be in time to cash in on the christmas/thanksgiving spending sprees.

that's my take,

Spot on. Even Bono happily says that a successful album to him these days is one that can run through two Christmas'. Seriously testing my patience that man is. Even in these forums the focus these days seems to be far less on the music and far more on what business the music does. That's filtered from the band down.

They could "do a Zooropa" but that would take an inspirational and creative spark, and a lot of balls. None of the above appear to be present within this band at this time. My guess is they'll take their time and record, re-record, produce, re-produce, mix, remix over and over until they think they have 10 or 11 sickly sweet 'singles'. It will then be held onto until October/November/December and dumped on the market in time for maximum Xmas sales at which point plenty of suckers will buy more than one version of it (out of 3 or 4 options), and multiple versions of each single (the one with the seriously weak b-side, the one with the remix, the one with the live versions of far superior songs from the back catalogue to remind people to buy tickets to a U2 concert). They will then cheer it on as a masterpiece, based on the only criteria they know: sales. This will come as a massive surprise because they are only the biggest brand in the music world, who are now making commercial pop music, backed by US$10million+ marketing campaign, with a front man who is in the news nightly. This is a mix that is known to rarely translates to sales, so it must be because of the quality of the music.
U2 will then take it on tour, a tour which will be WILDLY different because the stage will be a different shape, possible similar to a noughts and crosses game;
XOX
OXO
XOX
Which gives even more people a chance to get "in the nought" or "in the cross" and get more Bono for their 160+ bucks. It will do at least 2 rounds of the US for maximum profit, at least 1 of Europe (with room for two should it go nuts) and may or may not travel anywhere else depending on how the economic winds are blowing at the time.

This is all at least 3 years away.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

U2 will then take it on tour, a tour which will be WILDLY different because the stage will be a different shape, possible similar to a noughts and crosses game;
XOX
OXO
XOX
Which gives even more people a chance to get "in the nought" or "in the cross" and get more Bono for their 160+ bucks. It will do at least 2 rounds of the US for maximum profit, at least 1 of Europe (with room for two should it go nuts) and may or may not travel anywhere else depending on how the economic winds are blowing at the time.

This is all at least 3 years away.

:lol:

You know, it'd be nice if that incredibly cynical post wasn't dead-on...

If.

Ernie, this is one of the best, most insightful posts I have ever seen. I hate to say it, but you are 100% correct.

Bono seems to take pride in being a corporate whore these days. He tries to justify it ("where I come from, it's cool to take care of business," etc.), but at the end of the day he's putting money before the music.

I am excited by this but isn't it too soon for another album. If they had lingering material, wouldn't have made sense to refine some of the tracks and put it on the special edition HTDAAB?

bathiu said:
It seems it may be made up from tracks taken from the sessions that were deemed too guitar-driven and heavy to fit in.

Ah. The album we were all expecting in the first place!! :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
And also, what's this about "too guitar driven"??? Wasn't that what HTDAAB was supposed to be all about? That makes no sense at all.

Wasn't every album from Pop on meant to be about rock?

I don't think anyone (including members of the band) can really say what an album is gonna be like at this early stage. It sure is fun to guess though!

I tend to lean towards the idea that the albums take on a life of their own. Just like writting stories.

Back
Top Bottom