New Album Speculation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
Speculation is fun :p
It'd be interesting to see what everyone around here thinks will be the fate of the next record. So let this be a speculaiton thread, let people know how you think the album will sound, how it will sell, compare it to other records, etc etc... Let's all be Michael Griffith's in this thread. :D

My predictions: (keep in mind, these have little or no basis in fact)

The sound: Contrary to what everyone thinks, the record will rock, but it wont make your ears bleed. It wont be heavy, raw rock in the vein of Rage, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age or any similar band, rather, it will sound as heavy as U2 can get in the live setting. Think of Beautiful Day from the Elevation DVD, or Until the End of the World live from the Best Of DVD. For those of you with the lastest Springsteen CD, think of a track like Countin' on a Miracle. For the Pearl Jam fans, think of Given to Fly.

Lyrics: Bono will play it safe; no politics here, nothing overt at least. I think Electrical Storm is a safe bet in terms of lyrical direction. Hands that Built America is too "poetic" for this type of music.

Tracks: The usual melange. There will be a ballad or two... This wont be an all-out rock extravangaza, but it will be mostly up-tempo songs.
Popularity: Not that this matters right? :mac:
It will sell, not as well as ATYCLB, but it will sell. (Im thinking 8-9 mil worldwide) If released at the right time, it will reach #1 in the 'big' markets (U.S., U.K. etc)

Critical reception: Rolling Stone will give it ****. It will be well received by most other critics, a few will bitch that the band is hopping on the garage rock bandwagon. Fans will rank it in their Top 5.

Other: The album sleeve will be dark, the cover will be something special.

Your turn now...

Last edited:
Speculations:

Sound: I think it will follow in the footsteps of the "Electrical Storm" sound. The ATYCLB vibe with the harder guitar sounds. Not too garage rock, I think they have strayed away from that. (Bono was ranting about 'garage rock' early on, now it's ATYCLB with edgier guitar :) ) I'm guessing it will be a raw rocking album, with the 1 or 2 ballads.

Lyrics: Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack-ish, Electrical Storm-ish. Dark with climaxing choruses. I do think that Bono will not go all out, but won't hold back a lot either. He's got a lot to talk about. (His father's death, AIDS in Africa, fatherhood, war, etc...)

Tracks: It will open with their first single. It will be rocking early, slowing down in the middle, a little in between at the end.

Critical/Commercial: Critically, it will get positive reviews, no real negative reviews. Commerically it will do real well around 9-10 mil. It will hit numero uno in most countries including U.S. and U.K...

Full Metal Jacket will be a successful single...

There will be a great tour...

I will be happy....:)

I don't know, but I have special interest in 2 songs that have been mentioned... Bulldozer & Native Son... I don't know why

Strato Edge said:

Lyrics: Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack-ish, Electrical Storm-ish. Dark with climaxing choruses. I do think that Bono will not go all out, but won't hold back a lot either. He's got a lot to talk about. (His father's death, AIDS in Africa, fatherhood, war, etc...)

totally agree :yes: thus I would like that it was

Bono is traumatized with the americans, stop! is enough of all that shit! :mad:

well i think he feels he needs to dedicate'em many songs cos stupid bush donated many billions to his african cause

but, i just hope this next tour we can all hear a loud and clear Fuck You Bush and Fuck you Blair

hell yeah!

yes, oh yes, i can totally picture that

lol fuckin bush pu?etero

but, it's time to leave this thread, we don't wanna fuck it up

The first single hasn't been selected yet, but don't be surprised if it's 'Native Son' or 'All Because of You'. But realistically, it could very well be neither of these. In fact, the first single could very well be a song none of you have even heard about yet. Keep your eyes peeled :sexywink:

And yes, this is the rock album U2 have supposedly been promising for years. You will all be satisfied. Now...scat! :wink:

Bono will say "the first 4 songs will blow your fathers house down and you'll be leaft burnt on the floor thirsty for more yada yada"

Chris Thoman will place a 100$ bet with The Edge that one of the new song would be greatest that U2 has ever done, thus killing one of the better songs U2 has ever done.

Anton Corbijn will shoot the cover and sleeves

Steve Lillywhite will be involved during the mixing stages

There would be a guest producer for the middle 8 of one of the songs

U2 would use 2 samples from the 70s

There would be one song, writting of which would have almost broken the band

One song would have taken as much as time as the half of the album

Adam wouldnt have seen eye to eye with one engineer over recording of one song

In the Thank You section there would be 2 new additions, Larrys son and Bono's son

Most of the name surfacing right now would have morphed into some other song and half of which would be left for the next album

Adam will say album could have rocked more, but they didnt want to be a 20 year old band so they put in some "poppier" tunes

The Edge would say there are 4 unfinished songs which rocks more than rock music itself.Hopefully they'll make it to the U2 box set

Larry will say, he is satisfied

Bono says, this is what U2 is all about, taking all the risk at any stage of life. They work on 2 crap album basis and this is the record which U2 always wanted but they never had humility to make it

Chris Thomas will say, U2 are very hard working and no matter at what stage song is, they're always ready to explore new direction

Adam will feel sad that this is the last album done at HQ and it has a sepcial place in their heart, but they're already looking forward to new facility

Bono will say this is real rock n roll and its like an unleased dong who is ready to bite the arse of anything that tries to stop it

Bono is ready to tour the songs, although he has no clue whats going on in the studio right now

The Edge when asked to describe the songs, Bono would interrupt the journalist and ask them "do you know if spare 50cents a week, we can make 2 hand pumps in sub sahara africa

Album would come out this time next year and The band would feel they could have finished a few more songs, but then again they're happy

speculation:
we'll continue to hear rumours about how "hard rocking" and "primal" it is from bono; the release date will keep getting pushed back; as it does, the description of it changes to "a soul album"..."an album of beauty"...or "the real sound of u2"; and when it's finally released in may of 2004, it will sound alot like ATYCLB.

Though several of the song titles have been let out, the first single will be a song that you've never even heard the name of. That's how Beautiful Day was.

The band are finished w/ experimentation. The will put out an album focused on songwriting and band production, similar to ATYCLB, but w/ new themes.

MrBrau1 said:
The band are finished w/ experimentation. The will put out an album focused on songwriting and band production, similar to ATYCLB, but w/ new themes.

Sounds good to me :)

MrBrau1 said:

= end of my U2 fandom.

mug222 said:

= end of my U2 fandom.

really?
does anyone really expect the new album to sound like zeppelin or something? because it won't rock nearly as hard as you think.
I would expect something along the lines of ATYCLB because thats just where they are these days; I don't think it will suck; in fact, I bet it will be great....but everyone who wants them to rock hard and still experiment: go listen to "miami", because that tune DOES rock and is cutting edge even 6 years later; but everyone complained so much about that style they'll never do it again.

I would love a "hard rock" record from u2 these days, but I don't expect it, a certainly will still be fan for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom