New Album Rumors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be very satisfied if the new album comes out in November 2006 or the first months of 2007, enough time to do a big thing.

I think U2 will stick with someone familar with the next album. Look what happened when they tried someone different. Sounds like the band drove Chris Thomas bonkers.

Let's face it, U2 record completely different than a lot of bands. They'll play a song to death, and just when they're about to say, it's finished, let's go with it, they'll come up with a different chord or vocal.

I would like to see Bono in the studio 99% of the time. I just don't like him running around all the time then just bopping for short bursts. I've read that the band prefers it this way, but it's safe to say that Bono is probably the most creative in the group. I'm not trying to say that the last two albums don' thave their moments, or that I don't like them, but I feel Bono can take a song somewhere else.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a album very soon. 2008 or 2009 at the earliest.

BEAL said:
I think U2 will stick with someone familar with the next album. Look what happened when they tried someone different. Sounds like the band drove Chris Thomas bonkers.

Let's face it, U2 record completely different than a lot of bands. They'll play a song to death, and just when they're about to say, it's finished, let's go with it, they'll come up with a different chord or vocal.

I would like to see Bono in the studio 99% of the time. I just don't like him running around all the time then just bopping for short bursts. I've read that the band prefers it this way, but it's safe to say that Bono is probably the most creative in the group. I'm not trying to say that the last two albums don' thave their moments, or that I don't like them, but I feel Bono can take a song somewhere else.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a album very soon. 2008 or 2009 at the earliest.

Edge is the most creative in the group.

:hmm: Nigel Godrich, Kanye West and Jacknife Lee producing. :ohmy:

I'd like to see U2 adopt Radiohead's method of album production, assemble a few songs, take them on a brief tour, see how they play live, go back to the studio, wash, rinse, repeat. Almost shamefully how much better their songs get live then on the album. :madspit: Hopefully that would keep them more energized then being socked away in a Dublin studio for 2/3rds of a year.

namkcuR said:

Edge is the most creative in the group.

Ok, Edge and Bono have always been the more creative of the band. With Adam and Larry always there to ground them. But if Edge really was the most creative, I think the last two albums would have sounded a lot different. I think ATYCLB and HTDAAB were really pushed by Larry and Adam.

Again, this is why I would like to see Bono around for the entire recording.

For the talk about the producing and the short turnover time until the next tour, remember the precedent of Rattle & Hum. They got that one done relatively quickly (by U2 standards) and that was working with Jimmy Iovine for the first time. Maybe a R&H-esque type of disc (10 new tracks plus a few live songs/covers) might be possible in the shorter timeframe.

PopFly said:
For the talk about the producing and the short turnover time until the next tour, remember the precedent of Rattle & Hum. They got that one done relatively quickly (by U2 standards) and that was working with Jimmy Iovine for the first time. Maybe a R&H-esque type of disc (10 new tracks plus a few live songs/covers) might be possible in the shorter timeframe.

Let's hope not. I don't want a repeat of Rattle and Hum. If that album was a car driving home on a Saturday night it would almost certainly get pulled over by the fuzz - the album weaves all over the road, and has no focus whatsoever (love the studio songs though). I'm all for seeing a new studio album quickly, but no live tracks please. If the band wants to put out a live CD, or an EP of the current tour, I'm all for that. I love U2's live recordings. But please don't mix the two together again.

starvinmarvin said:

Let's hope not. I don't want a repeat of Rattle and Hum. If that album was a car driving home on a Saturday night it would almost certainly get pulled over by the fuzz - the album weaves all over the road, and has no focus whatsoever (love the studio songs though). I'm all for seeing a new studio album quickly, but no live tracks please. If the band wants to put out a live CD, or an EP of the current tour, I'm all for that. I love U2's live recordings. But please don't mix the two together again.

I'm going to have to agree with you there. And please, no more pointless filler tracks like Freedom for my People :wink:

I'm hoping for a new album in 2006...

So...who is on the current list of possible producers?

Dr Dre
Nigel Godrich
Jack White

and I'd like to add...

Alan Parsons. :lol:

Seriously, I'm with the Tourist; I think a new album in 2006 is inevitable.

U2 have followed EXACTLY how the ZooTV era went up to this point:

1. Release album in NOVEMBER (just like AB).

2. Tour North America

3. Tour Europe

4. Tour North America

5. (A gap)

6. Then there are those (very plausible) rumors that U2 will tour in summer 2006 in Europe.

7. More rumors of Australia being toured.

What came between 4 and 6 in the ZooTV era? Zooropa.

I predict, a rockin and seemingly throwaway album full of great tracks that some will hate, but it will be a generally well liked album

May 15, 2006-Album quince. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
So...who is on the current list of possible producers?

Dr Dre
Nigel Godrich
Jack White

and I'd like to add...

Alan Parsons. :lol:

Seriously, I'm with the Tourist; I think a new album in 2006 is inevitable.

U2 have followed EXACTLY how the ZooTV era went up to this point:

1. Release album in NOVEMBER (just like AB).

2. Tour North America

3. Tour Europe

4. Tour North America

5. (A gap)

6. Then there are those (very plausible) rumors that U2 will tour in summer 2006 in Europe.

7. More rumors of Australia being toured.

What came between 4 and 6 in the ZooTV era? Zooropa.

I predict, a rockin and seemingly throwaway album full of great tracks that some will hate, but it will be a generally well liked album

May 15, 2006-Album quince. :wink:

:rockon: I'm likin' this! come on MERCY!!

LemonMelon said:
5. (A gap)

U2 coming again to Europe, and to Portugal, this tour, next summer, with a bunch of new songs :hmm: :hmm: :drool:

I think that if we'll have "another Zooropa" it will be with leftovers of the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions and maybe some new stuff that will show their next direction.

MacPhistoPT said:

U2 coming again to Europe, and to Portugal, this tour, next summer, with a bunch of new songs :hmm: :hmm: :drool:

I think that if we'll have "another Zooropa" it will be with leftovers of the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions and maybe some new stuff that will show their next direction.

Which if you think about it is exactly what they did for Zooropa. A lot of those songs were "leftovers" or "B-Sides" but they decided to make it into a full record. And I thank them for that. :wink:

I seems to me that U2 are intentionally trying to repeat their best era with a new sound, and it's working.

please, don't say u2 are coming back to europe in summer 06.....................or that a new album may come out soon..................if it wont be true i know my heart will collapse........:wink:

The touring schedule does remind of Zoo TV - though I'd say the Australia/Mexico and S. America rumours seem more believable than US for the third time and Europe the second time.

Would they feel like being on tour into summer/autumn 2006?

babyman said:
please, don't say u2 are coming back to europe in summer 06.....................or that a new album may come out soon..................if it wont be true i know my heart will collapse........:wink:

I'm just using history and logic.

But U2 (especially Bono) is hardly ever logical. :wink:

I don't think U2 are coming back to the US again this tour after the third leg. I want them to so badly though. :( I can't spring to see them twice a year, so I was hoping they'd be back, but the US has never gotten 3 legs in 1 tour before. :huh:

Just a thought on the leftovers and B-sides theory. Don't most of us already have this stuff? I think it might make sense to do an oficial release of those tunes, especially the leftovers like Smile, Mercy, Love You Like Mad, for the mass audience. But won't a lot of us be disappointed?

petethechopp said:
Just a thought on the leftovers and B-sides theory. Don't most of us already have this stuff? I think it might make sense to do an oficial release of those tunes, especially the leftovers like Smile, Mercy, Love You Like Mad, for the mass audience. But won't a lot of us be disappointed?

Smile is a HTDAAB outtake, but most of those are ATYCLB outtakes. There are a lot more where that came from. :wink:

petethechopp said:

I would be dissapointing because I already know the songs. It's ok with me when there will be 2 leftovers on the new album (levitate, smile) and the other 8/9 new songs.

petethechopp said:

Can someone please post SMILE and LOVE YOU LIKE MAD??

Smile is great, if not awesome.
I agree about Love You Like Mad, that song is pretty average.

I don't think either of them is crap, that would be Flower Child.

Back
Top Bottom