New Album Rumors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
I think we will have one more album in the same mold as ATYCLB/HTDAAB. Remember, U2 does things in 3's. I don't think it's intentional, it's because by the time U2 makes a third album of the same mold thats when the critics attack them. and when the critics attack them is when U2 decides to change.

UF
JT
RH - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

AB
Z
P - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
??? - will critics bash and lead to a new U2 course??

i dont think U2 has the motivation (ie everything is going great for them now, critics, tour) to drastically change their style

Though War their 3rd album was their most critically praised out of their first 3?

ahh anyway its funny i think the guys react very well under pressure, they need the pressure to perform well or to change....I think U2 would be the only band that if asked to perform during a war would turn in their best performance ever...

Chizip said:
I think we will have one more album in the same mold as ATYCLB/HTDAAB. Remember, U2 does things in 3's. I don't think it's intentional, it's because by the time U2 makes a third album of the same mold thats when the critics attack them. and when the critics attack them is when U2 decides to change.

UF
JT
RH - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

AB
Z
P - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
??? - will critics bash and lead to a new U2 course??

i dont think U2 has the motivation (ie everything is going great for them now, critics, tour) to drastically change their style

Good point, but we'll see. Larry said U2 will have to experiment again, we just don't know if that will be sooner or later. I'm sorta hoping they put out a quick album in 2006, ala Zooropa, with a bunch of raw rock songs, leftovers, ect...get that sound out of their system, then move onto something new.

Mercy NEEDS to be on an album. I want to hear Mercy live :drool:

Mercy and a THE GOTHIC ROCK VERSION OF WAKE UP DEAD MAN :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

but seriously Mercy/Bad meets Please :drool: :drool: :drool:

I mean this is a teasing way: U2 is sooooo f**king image conscious these days, it seems, that I can't imagine them doing a loose, casual, Zooropa-style album any more.

Sure hope I'm wrong though.

When and where did Larry say they were going to experiment again? Is this another "somebody close to the band overheard"?

If it was in a magazine, could someone please post that section? It just seems that anything that comes from any band member these days is just hot air. Used to just be from Bono.

BEAL said:
When and where did Larry say they were going to experiment again? Is this another "somebody close to the band overheard"?

If it was in a magazine, could someone please post that section? It just seems that anything that comes from any band member these days is just hot air. Used to just be from Bono.

I think it was a newspaper interview. He said they're only interested in playing as a unit right now, but more experimentat stuff would come. I remember reading the whole interview.

MrBrau1 said:

I think it was a newspaper interview. He said they're only interested in playing as a unit right now, but more experimentat stuff would come. I remember reading the whole interview.

It would really help if this could be reproduced online somewhere or if it's out in newstands now. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, or anyone else who may have read this somewhere, but it's real tough to just go with someone's opinion.

Either way, I can't wait for the next album. I don't care if it's experimental or not. I just care if the songs are good.

BEAL said:

It would really help if this could be reproduced online somewhere or if it's out in newstands now. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, or anyone else who may have read this somewhere, but it's real tough to just go with someone's opinion.

Either way, I can't wait for the next album. I don't care if it's experimental or not. I just care if the songs are good.

search atu2.com for the interview. That's where I remember reading it.

Wait: here is the Q & A:

Q:

Let's talk about the artistic ambition of the last two albums. I was disappointed that All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb lacked the edge that characterized Achtung Baby and Zooropa. At the time, I interviewed the producer of those albums, Brian Eno, who said his role was to come in and erase anything that sounded too much like U2, forcing the band to move in new directions. The more time passes, the more I realize how brave that was.

A:

I disagree with you; that was then, and this is now. We've always been a band that has tried to walk away from the past and move into new areas and do new things, and we've always done that. But we got to a stage where the band as a band wasn't functioning. It was functioning like individuals, and the band wasn't performing and playing in a room. We'd become so acute in our distaste for anything U2 that it was just becoming impossible to be creative as a band.

We took the decision that what we'd do is get back into a room and play as a band -- to do what we do. We hadn't done it for years, and that's what this is. It's not a commercial decision: "Oh, let's go back to what we know, because maybe we'll get back onto the charts." It's hard for people to appreciate that. A lot of people go, "Bollocks, all you want to do is sell more records and you'll do anything to do that." That's just not the case. We wanted to get back to being a band.

After The Joshua Tree, we chopped it down with Achtung Baby and then Zooropa, and then with Pop. They were great things, and we're very proud of those things, and we will do that again. But there's a certain stage where you've actually just got to go back to what you know.

I think on this record, the Edge is on fire. I couldn't disagree with you more about what he's doing. Of course there are references back to the past, but I like that. I like getting into a room and playing with the band and doing those things we used to do. I think what Brian Eno brought was invaluable, and Daniel Lanois as well. But we've got to move on, we've got to change, and we've got to take references from the past and bring them into the future. And that's what we've done.

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesnt necessarily make it sound like they will be experimenting on the next record, just sometime in the future.

I still think the next album will be in the ATYCLB/HTDAAB mold.

RavenBlue said:
Hmmm.. well having an experimental U2 album vs having no new album at all... I'll take the experimental one :wink:

I'll take an experimental one over another playing it safe one. :wink:

Hey! Headache is back. :wave:

JOFO was looking for you. I think he missed you so much he started a thread about it. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

search atu2.com for the interview. That's where I remember reading it.

Wait: here is the Q & A:

Q:

Let's talk about the artistic ambition of the last two albums. I was disappointed that All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb lacked the edge that characterized Achtung Baby and Zooropa. At the time, I interviewed the producer of those albums, Brian Eno, who said his role was to come in and erase anything that sounded too much like U2, forcing the band to move in new directions. The more time passes, the more I realize how brave that was.

A:

I disagree with you; that was then, and this is now. We've always been a band that has tried to walk away from the past and move into new areas and do new things, and we've always done that. But we got to a stage where the band as a band wasn't functioning. It was functioning like individuals, and the band wasn't performing and playing in a room. We'd become so acute in our distaste for anything U2 that it was just becoming impossible to be creative as a band.

We took the decision that what we'd do is get back into a room and play as a band -- to do what we do. We hadn't done it for years, and that's what this is. It's not a commercial decision: "Oh, let's go back to what we know, because maybe we'll get back onto the charts." It's hard for people to appreciate that. A lot of people go, "Bollocks, all you want to do is sell more records and you'll do anything to do that." That's just not the case. We wanted to get back to being a band.

After The Joshua Tree, we chopped it down with Achtung Baby and then Zooropa, and then with Pop. They were great things, and we're very proud of those things, and we will do that again. But there's a certain stage where you've actually just got to go back to what you know.

I think on this record, the Edge is on fire. I couldn't disagree with you more about what he's doing. Of course there are references back to the past, but I like that. I like getting into a room and playing with the band and doing those things we used to do. I think what Brian Eno brought was invaluable, and Daniel Lanois as well. But we've got to move on, we've got to change, and we've got to take references from the past and bring them into the future. And that's what we've done.

Nice :up: the quote I was referring to is actually from Mojo and it is similar.

"Having said that, there was a certain sense that Pop was us experimenting beyond our means. A certain amount of panic set in. Where should we be as a band? What is it that makes U2 'U2'? And I said, What makes U2 'U2' is the idea of four people working in a room. We haven't done that for awhile - maybe we should look at that again. The Greatest Hits was being talked about, so we'd started listening to some of the old records. And it was like, Y'know what? There was something going on there, listen! So it was more to do with the essence of U2. If U2 move into the future, I would like to think we will experiment again, because we're gonna have to. This is great, the four band members, stripped down and whatever, but there's more out there for us. I don't think the experimentation is over. You can only get to...Atomic Bomb after you've done Pop. You only get there because of that. And that's what's interesting about the journey."

Bold emphasis is mine.

U2girl said:

Nothing against Eno/Lanois but I think they - and Lillywhite - had a role in the sound of the last two albums. I don't see them getting away with the "U2 sound" again, so - time for a new producer.

This is a tough one. :hmm:

While Eno/Lanois changed U2's sound with UF, both JT and R&H were extensions of that sound. While Eno/Lanois changed U2's sound with AB, both "Zooropa" and "Pop" were extensions of that sound. And while Eno/Lanois changed U2's sound yet again with AYTLCB, HTDAAB is an extension of that sound. U2 only seems to change direction with Eno/Lanois. Therefore, logic and history dictate that Eno/Lanois may help U2 change directions again as they wind down their careers.

But one has to be careful. Eno/Lanois were also involved with JT, which, as I wrote above, is really a continuation of the sound from UF. Likewise, Eno was involved with "Zooropa", which is an extension of the more experimental nature of AB. That is, while Eno/Lanois helped change U2's sound, they are also responsible for some of the, dare I say it, "stagnation" of it too. In fact, the "return to roots" sound present on these last two albums was also due, in part, to Eno/Lanois.

Still, even with Eno/Lanois, there is experimentation present, especially on HTDAAB. And this experimentation is why I enjoy HTDAAB so much more than ATYCLB. "Vertigo" is a fun pop song, but it is quite different from U2's past work, which is a very good thing (and possibly one reason why the song is so popular). U2 really regained that experimental sound with "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars". Both of these songs are brilliant and stand-out tracks, IMO, because they are so different. U2 need to flush out that sound on "Love & Peace" and/or "Fast Cars". They need to experiment with songs that don't have a chorus (i.e., mix-up the basic song structure). Even an unreleased track, like "Mercy" is fantastic because while it hints a bit at the "old" U2 sound, it moves forward in so many ways. It's not the "classic" U2 song. It's these songs that I find the most exciting.

Critics and fans accepted U2 experimenting with their own sound on the past two albums. I think U2 were able to "get away" with it twice because U2 have had SO many sounds over the years. Which sound is U2? "Boy"? "War"? JT? AB? "Pop"? It's this very diverse past that gave U2 an illustrious back catalog of sounds which they were able to examine on these past two albums. In fact, it could even be argued that it took U2 two albums to fully explore all of those sounds!

Still, barring a few exceptions, these last two albums were U2 exploring past U2. It's now time to move on. If U2 doubted themselves after "Pop" - they should now feel relieved. They've proven they can have a #1 album and have big hits again. Their last two albums have sold over 7M copies just in the U.S.! In an era of illegal downloading and poor overall CD sales, that's an outstanding sum. U2 should feel secure in the knowledge that they do indeed have an audience and it's a huge one! Just as U2 did with AB, it's now time to experiment again. U2 need to take a chance on themselves - and the best way to do this may be with new producers.

Eno/Lanois have been with U2 for so long, that I fear they may inadvertently create another album of U2 sounding a bit too much like U2. There's no need for U2 to explore ambience or techno or industrial - they've done that. They've also explored their own sounds of the past. Now it's time for the future - especially as their careers may be winding down. And I think in order for U2 to get fresh ideas that will help them flush out the experimental tracks they created for HTDAAB, they need a new producer. Nothing so wild that it no longer sounds like U2, but music that for U2 is different (ala "Fast Cars").

To do this, I think U2 have to put a lot of the past behind them - which may include Eno/Lanois. Nothing wrong with bringing them in as consultants as both give brilliant advice. But, because of their long-time association with U2, they may not be the best producers for a future sound.

Great post doctorwho!! :up:

Someone mentioned Dr. Dre producing...THAT would be interesting. I like what Jacknife Lee did, I think he's a good producer. I like the Chris Thomas stuff too...unfortunately the band did not.

Just as long as the 90's fans here don't produce the album. If that happens the tracklist will be the same as AB, but with Mercy on it.

I'm telling you right now there it will be a cold day in hell before an album comes out in 2006. All the 90's albums were delayed. You guys are being far too optimistic. I expect a late 2007 - mid 2008 release. Its also about energy - U2 aren't in their 20s anymore. The 80's gave us 6 albums, the 90's only gave us 4, one of them a compilation.

I'd like a new sound. I want another AB!

*Does not realise he is contradicting himself*

Two words: Nigel. Godrich.

And before you go thinking that any album produced by him is going to sound like Kid A, keep in mind that he produced two really stripped down albums for Beck which were beautifully recorded, and the only well-produced album from Pavement. The guy is a genius, and I could only imagine what heights he would help U2 reach.

Just bring in someone fresh! I love Eno but it's time for some new angles. Jacknife Lee is a cool addition but they deserve someone legendary.
(And I'm definitely not talking about hacks like Don Was)

How about an album of two Love And Peace Or Else's, four Fast Cars', three Mercy's and only two hit singles?

lazarus said:
Two words: Nigel. Godrich.

:up:

I would also suggest Brendan O'Brien. He does a great job at bringing out an organic, raw sound. Pearl Jam, recent Bruce Springsteen.

And what about Jack White? Force U2 to make an album in under two weeks. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

He's produced U2 before, "Walk On (Single Mix)"

Yeah and that was a bit crap I thought compared to the album version. Although Godrich would be an interesting producer on a U2 album. But the direction of U2 these days I reckon it's more likely to be.......errrr Mutt Lange...Jesus what a horrible thought.......Lets Get, Lets Get, Lets Get Rockeddddddddddddd!:wink:

If Godrich did an album, there probably would be fewer guitars that sound like guitars.

Back
Top Bottom