New album rumor from U2log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Anybody check this out yet?

You may remember our previous discussion on Rick Rubin and how you’d feel about him producing their next album. Well, all those in favour may find a little surprise, spoiler and delight in the following article. More specifically in the following snippet. Seems our gut feeling was right once again.

Overseeing the album is Greg Fidelman, an engineer/producer who worked with Rick Rubin on albums for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down and Audioslave. The Robins and Fidelman will be ensconced at Sound City studio in Van Nuys (the same place where Nirvana made “Nevermind” and Tom Petty made “Wildflowers” and “Damn the Torpedoes”) through the end of the month and again in October.

Why not September? Because Fidelman and Rubin have to go to London to engineer tracks for U2’s upcoming album at Abbey Road Studios.

Let’s play “guess the new album title” below. Oh, and thumbs up to the Robins.

Abbey Road?
New Album?
Rubin and Fidelman?

:faint:

Here's the link to the article...

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060809/APC05/60809070/1033

if this is, indeed, true, then the album wouldn't be out until november/december at the earliest

if tracks are, indeed, done.

or maybe they're just in the begining stages... like when they were with chris thomas and everyone thought the album would be out soon and it was a good year or two later until it finaly came out.

:shrug: wait and see

Well the end of the quote says "tracks for U2's upcoming album", not "new single". Of course we don't know how credible or accurate the source is, but if you're going to believe the article you may as well believe all of it.

The other thing is that it says Rubin & Co. are ENGINEERING tracks, not mixing them. Which says to me that U2 is not close to completing the album. Rubin will theoretically be there to record everything, and god knows how long that will take. I imagine he could potentially get frustrated with the band's long exploratory process, and jump ship at some point. I see Rubin as a guy who doesn't mind using the studio as an instrument to a certain extent, but is also a "cut the bullshit" type.

time will tell...

Question: what exactly is engineering? How is it different from producing or mixing?

:up: Fresh blood for the new album. :hyper: Not "single", not "EP" but an album.

Last edited:
Maybe the songs are near completion and Rubin and Fidelman will go over to polish the songs over and then Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite will come in and mix them? I dunno I'm grasping a straws here, but an "upcoming U2 album"...not single ALBUM!! Very interesting :yes:

Well, this certainly sounds good. U2log is usually VERY credible when it comes to rumors and "breaking news" such things. :up:

U2girl said:
Question: what exactly is engineering? How is it different from producing or mixing?

:up: Fresh blood for the new album. :hyper: Not "single", not "EP" but an album.

Engineering is the actual recording of music. The engineer pushes the record button, set's up mikes, checks input levels, etc.

The producer oversees the project. More a critical job. "That was great!" That was crap" "Try and play it this way."

Mixing is putting all the record tracks together: Bass, Drums, Guitars, Vocals, Keys, etc. "More bass guitar, less bass drum, pan that guitar solo to the left speaker" That kind of stuff.

Thanks.
I wasn't sure about what the engineers do, I figured producer basically decides what instruments will make it into the song and the mixer decides how it will sound like.

Anyone think they have a producer/mixer in mind for September?

:ohmy: Yikes...Abbey Road. Here comes the "they really think they're better than the Beatles" backlash.

Last edited:
Bono has yet to begin to give the vague sound bites as to what the album sounds like, who is currently on fire, and what instrument Edge has fallen in love with. I'd say we've got another year at least until we see a new album

This is bizarre news.
What a random source to learn from.
A month?
that's it?
Could it be true that there were a lot of leftover tracks and now they are just cleaning them up?
A month?
really?
A month?
Did I say a month yet?
Wow.
here's hoping it's true!

The fact that U2 let The Strokes hear some of their new songs, could mean the beach clips were almost finished songs.

I really would like the exact source!

TheEdge1987 said:
More likely to be the rumoured single if they are only there for a month.

I agree too, no way no time for an album, especially the way these guys work - they are slated to do some promo for the U2 by U2 book in late September, so they basically have 3 weeks, then you're into October and they'll need to get ready for the tour re-start then. Plus, this source really is random...Appleton, Wisconsin?

PS: U2Log is great in general but has been very off their game lately, they were off on pretty much everything concerning the re-start of the tour...

From the "The Robins" website.

8. 2. 06
The time has come, for us Robins to make our first record!
We will be leaving our homes in wisconsin on August 14th to head to L.A. , where we will begin pre-production on our upcoming full-length.
We will be spending approx. 7 weeks working with producer Greg Fidelman (Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Diamond, Tom Petty, JET etc.)
and engineer Greg Gordon (Oasis, JET, Hot Hot Heat, etc.).........both of which will be our complete pleasure.

The Robins have a blog in MySpace, if one of you is registered, you could ask them the question, i don't think it would bother them (they put U2 as one of their influence in their profile.

http://www.myspace.com/therobins

Last edited:
September is impossible if they're only in the engineering faze. but this is very encouraging that the band is working this hard, this early.

I see this as an opportunity to record a few tracks. I don't really believe that this means we'll be hearing anything too soon. This is U2 afterall. Winter next year. The band love to release in the Fall/Winter and set up the tour in the Spring. This is the behaviour of their last two album releases.

All but 4 U2 albums came out in the fall months and since JT tour, Lovetown aside, they love to start the tours in the spring months.

2007 :yes:

U2girl said:
:ohmy: Yikes...Abbey Road. Here comes the "they really think they're better than the Beatles" backlash.

Why? Plenty of bands record (and have recorded) in Abbey Road studios. It's not the exclusive domain of The Beatles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom