New album rumor from U2log... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #106
War Child

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Oh My God people!
Half the posts on here bash U2's recent stuff but want to hear old stuff, then they bash the old stuff and Lanois/Eno and want a new sound but not with a new producer but with a new one but not a new one maybe an old one but only if sounds new but old.

Why don't you go analyze the typeface of the liner notes from the last few 3 albums.
I am sure there is some great font discussion just dying to take place.
Meanwhile I'll be enjoying some U2 tunes.

We wonder why the world can't get along. The fans of the most positive and inspiring rock band to ever walk the earth can't agree on a producer.
Kind of kills my hopes for the Mideast.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 AM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
If they went to Rubin, how much of "Look, these aging, middle-aged rockers went to Rubin like everyone else to spark some fire under their asses" will they get?

How much? Tons.

Let's face it, U2 has affirmed their positions of either the critical mass darlings or the supposedly credible whipping boys.

U2 is taking it up the ass in a lot of places outside of this forum, yet you post one, singular comment, even half-complimentiary in some ways on EYKIW and it's 8 pages in an hour or two.

U2 have gone beyond Rattle and Hum, they've taken it beyond the days of 1989, I'm not saying anything about the music, good, bad, indifferent, I'm saying image-wise, U2 has never had a worse problem that they have right now. If they follow up with ATYCLB III, good, bad, inidfferent, it could spell some pretty negative things for the group.

The good thing is, it will never be more clear what U2 are all about with album #12. If it's ATYCLB III, then they are just the fucking fame whores that the Rollins of the world said, and Eno and Lanois probably did help push their sound along, that is, the best of it.

If they make something in a different vein, they fuck everybody up slightly, one more time. They could stand up for an image overhaul as well. I don't care about such things, but U2 does. God damn, nobody is as insincere as a man wearing sunglasses indoors. FUCK. Baffling. Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's. Larry, even I'd make out with you, stay clear of the quasi-mullet. Adam, no gripes at all, start smoking and drinking again, by all means.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Great post, U2DMfan. Not much more to say, other than that I agree entirely with most of what you had to say. I post at plenty of other band forums, and U2 (for the most part) have got a bad name virtually everywhere. It was that iPod advert that really pushed many people over the edge. They're treated as a bit of a joke, really. I obviously don't care what other people think about U2, but it's not going to do them any favours to "complete the trinity," as it were. Bono said in an interview a few years ago that he didn't want to turn into a rock dinosaur. Well...by trying to appear hip and youthful to appeal to teenagers and young adults, that's exactly what's happening.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

God damn, nobody is as insincere as a man wearing sunglasses indoors. FUCK. Baffling. Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's. Larry, even I'd make out with you, stay clear of the quasi-mullet. Adam, no gripes at all, start smoking and drinking again, by all means.
Man you have some issues...

Not only do you use gay as a derogative, but you encourage an alcoholic to drink...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:45 AM   #110
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
If they went to Rubin, how much of "Look, these aging, middle-aged rockers went to Rubin like everyone else to spark some fire under their asses" will they get?

Whomever they go to.....they just need to make sure that all the producers can be counted on only one hand....

I don't think that would matter if the results were spectacular.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #111
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
but it's not going to do them any favours to "complete the trinity," as it were.
Have they ever completed a trinity? Honestly? This whole trilogy, trinity thing is bullshit, I haven't seen one...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:51 AM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Have they ever completed a trinity? Honestly? This whole trilogy, trinity thing is bullshit, I haven't seen one...
I'm just going by what it seems a lot of people here are calling for - a third album that expands on the themes and musical nature of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I personally don't buy the trinity thing myself. Pop is nothing like Zooropa. War is nothing like Boy. However, it seems like there are quite a few of the less vocal posters around here who would be perfectly happy with an ATYCLB part III. Entitled to feel that way, of course, but I do think that another album in the same vein would not be good for U2 at all.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 AM   #113
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm just going by what it seems a lot of people here are calling for - a third album that expands on the themes and musical nature of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I personally don't buy the trinity thing myself. Pop is nothing like Zooropa. War is nothing like Boy. However, it seems like there are quite a few of the less vocal posters around here who would be perfectly happy with an ATYCLB part III. Entitled to feel that way, of course, but I do think that another album in the same vein would not be good for U2 at all.
I can agree with that...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Man you have some issues...

Not only do you use gay as a derogative, but you encourage an alcoholic to drink...
Assume what you will, you always do.

I'll never be accused of having a void of humor or being a completely condescending jagoff, so I'm not sure you'd understand.

Don't pretend to know anything about me.

All you know about me is what I sold you.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'll never be accused of having a void of humor or being a completely condescending jagoff, so I'm not sure you'd understand.
Are you sure? These are the whisperings around the watercooler.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Are you sure? These are the whisperings around the watercooler.
Hey, I'm just tryin to have some fun around here, no offense intended to anyone, honestly.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:53 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Are you being serious?

I hope you don't think that Abbey Road Studios closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits.
They've been central to many artists, post-Beatles, as well as a slew of extremely well made movie soundtracks. It's not a "Beatles studio."
Second, Bono isn't that big of an idiot to try and challenge his idols. If anything it's just a big nod to them, not a challenge. and that's it.
Yes.

I never said Abbey Road "closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits." I'm aware other bands and non-Beatle music was recorded there. (I forgot to add the infamous "we're stealing it back" comment in Rattle and Hum to the post you were commenting on)

I will add this here because it's a response to the same post: Abbey Road is famous because The Beatles recorded there, not because there is an album by that name. Some people need to lay off being the thought police here.

edited to add: I think the first album after the band is 50 will be the most important since AB and ATYCLB.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #118
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:

All you know about me is what I sold you.
And that looks like a ZooTV quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #119
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I see what you're seeing, but to me they seem like progressions.

For example: October seems like a progression fromm Boy in terms of sound, and War sounds like a better progression from October, yet doesn't sound like Boy.

I think it applies to albums in 3s, but 4 from Achtung -> Zooropa -> Passengers -> Pop. If that makes any sense
Old 08-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #120
War Child

Quote:
Well...by trying to appear hip and youthful to appeal to teenagers and young adults, that's exactly what's happening.
Certainly, nobody with half a brain believes that. All it takes is about 30 seconds of any U2 song for at least a decade to realize they're obsessed with their mid-life issues. There's no way that anybody could argue that U2 are hiding those issues, either. They've been very upfront about them.

It's pure simple-mindedness that would label the IPod advert as an 'appeal to hipness'. There are no hip qualities to U2's recent music. Which is precisely why they were driven to shove it in the face of a mass audience.

Why should the unhip have to take a backseat? Why should the old have to take a backseat? I think it's farly brave for somebody to fight those notions. So few have. Nothing wrong with U2 using some subversive means like a glossy advert to win some converts to their decidedly unglossy themes and issues. Fortunatley, U2 havn't weakened to the point where they only care about appealing to the already converted.