New album rumor from U2log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Layton said:

Certainly, nobody with half a brain believes that.

There's no need to attack someone while making your point. If there's anyone with a full brain on the forum, it's GG.

I agree with what you say about U2's "subversiveness," in pushing their platform outside of the music. They're not just a band that wants to 'git jiggy with it,' date a bunch of supermodels and count their money (although they do seem to be doing the latter quite a bit lately, from what I've read).

For the most part, I really do think the music has been like a conduit for U2, a portal through which they can pursue ways to make the world a better place. We've all been over-Bonoized, and numbed to his message at times, but at the very least, he helps bring dirty and uncomfortable issues to the table. His blind optimism won't "save" Africa, but he keeps poking away at the politicians who would rather turn a blind eye to the horrors of our time. Edge has also stepped in up lately, with his work in New Orleans.

That said, a lot hangs in the balance in this next album, including the question of whether U2 will become caricatures of themselves. If this happens, even the causes will suffer. Personally, I would hate for them to do a rehash of the last two records. I think much of the public would, as well. They've got so much clout at the moment, it would be a shame if they didn't take us somewhere different.

Layton said:

Certainly, nobody with half a brain believes that.

Knock off the insults. That's not allowed here.

Originally posted by U2DMfan

Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's.

Please don't use the word gay in a derogatory way. That's disrespectful.

RUBIN TO PRODUCE NEW COLDPLAY RECORD

"Chalk up yet another source of frustration for Rick Rubin this fall. He's promised seminal rock group Coldplay that he would produce thier new album, due for late 2008. 'I was playing around on my guitar the other day, and I accidentally turned the knob on the amp up a little farther than usual (it was getting past 4!) and, after the ear pain had gone away, I discovered that I enjoyed this 'loud' (as I call it) guitar sound. It's so amazing. So I got the guys together, and I found a producer that enjoys that sound as well. Rick Rubin was right there in the phone book, so we picked him.' says singer/guitarist Chris Martin. 'It's (looks in the book "Bono In Conversation") extraordinary' says guitarist Jon Buckland, who seems to be just as excited about this new change in sound.

Look for this album to make a splash...eventually."

http://www.coldplaying.com/news/extraordinary.html

Last edited:
The band delivered some rough tracks (perhaps beach clips) to Rick Rubin, and asked him to clean them up a bit in the studio. He'll do the mixing at Abbey Road.

That is what Rick Rubin does -- he's a master at editing and mixing the final cuts of songs. He does his best work when he comes in at the end of a recording. Very Lillywhite-esque in that way.

U2 and Rubin are just testing the waters, and seeing if they want to work together in a bigger way. If they click, U2 will probably ask Rubin to produce the rest of the album.

LyricalDrug said:
The band delivered some rough tracks (perhaps beach clips) to Rick Rubin, and asked him to clean them up a bit in the studio. He'll do the mixing at Abbey Road.

That is what Rick Rubin does -- he's a master at editing and mixing the final cuts of songs. He does his best work when he comes in at the end of a recording. Very Lillywhite-esque in that way.

U2 and Rubin are just testing the waters, and seeing if they want to work together in a bigger way. If they click, U2 will probably ask Rubin to produce the rest of the album.

Something that has to do with U2??? Wow. :drool:

Anyway, I hope you`re right.

Canadiens1160 said:
I find every thread hailing Mercy an insult :huh:

I don't care.

I wasn't even addressing you with that reprimand...but you just couldn't resist some snarky little comment, could you? Knock it off.

Bonochick said:

I don't care.

I wasn't even addressing you with that reprimand...but you just couldn't resist some snarky little comment, could you? Knock it off.

jeez...come on Kat. i think he was just trying to lighten the situation...:huh:

u2 are a band in uncharted waters. there's never been a band as big as long as they have without any breaks, break ups, deaths (god forbid), etc. etc.

you can't compare their development at this stage of their career to any other band, 'cause no other band's been able to stay on top like they have for so long.

so frankly, rather than bitch and whine about what they should do... we should all just let them make whatever kind of music they, the band, wants to make... and if we/you like it? great... if not? there's plenty of material in their career to fall back on.

Is it required to knock the last 2 albums if you want U2 to explore new directions? Meanwhile it seems that Pop is gaining strength among the hardcores, if for no other reason than because it was U2 "pushing their boundaries". I would guess that HTDAAB and ATYCLB will be thought of more fondly when the band is no longer currently in "this phase". Personally, I enjoy all their albums very much...with some clearly favored over others. I think that that is true with most everyone out there...how can you dislike everything that a band has produced in the last decade and still post regularly in a fan forum? Oh, and Bono [at least he claims in last November's Rollingstone] has sensitive eyes, so he wears glasses indoors more often now.

bram said:
Is it required to knock the last 2 albums if you want U2 to explore new directions?.

Not at all. I loved the last two albums, but I'm also aware of the context in which they were released. They were representative of U2 desperately seeking to regain attention after Pop 'tanked' in their minds.

It's just natural curiosity to wonder about the possibilities of them not doing this after going through the Ipod ads and TRL performances of the past few years. I think it's an interesting question--whether or not they can come up with a masterful, less formulaic, work of art in the midst of this new audience that they've cultivated.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
u2 are a band in uncharted waters. there's never been a band as big as long as they have without any breaks, break ups, deaths (god forbid), etc. etc.

you can't compare their development at this stage of their career to any other band, 'cause no other band's been able to stay on top like they have for so long.

so frankly, rather than bitch and whine about what they should do... we should all just let them make whatever kind of music they, the band, wants to make... and if we/you like it? great... if not? there's plenty of material in their career to fall back on.

NOMINATED for "Post of the Week"

I couldn't have said it better myself Headache. Bravo.

Thank you! :|

You can compare anyone who's been playing music for 25 years with anyone else who's been playing music for 25 years. Some found the right mixture of bandmates and some didn't. That's just a social excercise, it has nothing to do with music itself. When you find yourself saying "they've been around since dirt, give them a break" you've become one of the worst apologists the band could have. Some of us think U2 is better than you think they are, is that a crime?

Personally I think that anybody that doesnt find some very good material in the last 2 albums either needs a hearing aid or was never a U2 fan in the first place.

Yet these people just wont go away, they are the musical elitists that think they can hear better, know better quality and know what the band should be doing even more then the band do themselves. Very rediculus.

U2DMfan said:

You can compare anyone who's been playing music for 25 years with anyone else who's been playing music for 25 years. Some found the right mixture of bandmates and some didn't. That's just a social excercise, it has nothing to do with music itself. When you find yourself saying "they've been around since dirt, give them a break" you've become one of the worst apologists the band could have. Some of us think U2 is better than you think they are, is that a crime?

being in the best band in the world is more than just a 'social exercise.' and yes, U2 has been around since dirt, which means they've got experience. i am sure that U2 will continue to do what they've always done -- redefine their sound and still stay on top. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were great, but i think everyone agrees it's time for something new.

bram said:
Meanwhile it seems that Pop is gaining strength among the hardcores, if for no other reason than because it was U2 "pushing their boundaries".

:lmao: 'hardcores', as in fans? Gaining strength? :no:

Look I could do the same thing with the 'War' album which (today) seems so flawed, but I don't because it's 'my opinion'. The last two albums are the last two albums...millions upon millions more have enjoyed them on plastic and in concert. Say what you will, but they're both fantastic albums.

I hope the Rick Rubin can take this format and 'Rock' it out a bit more. I find nothing wrong with the current phase U2 is in, but that's 'my opinion'.

U2DMfan said:

How much? Tons.

Let's face it, U2 has affirmed their positions of either the critical mass darlings or the supposedly credible whipping boys.

U2 is taking it up the ass in a lot of places outside of this forum, yet you post one, singular comment, even half-complimentiary in some ways on EYKIW and it's 8 pages in an hour or two.

U2 have gone beyond Rattle and Hum, they've taken it beyond the days of 1989, I'm not saying anything about the music, good, bad, indifferent, I'm saying image-wise, U2 has never had a worse problem that they have right now. If they follow up with ATYCLB III, good, bad, inidfferent, it could spell some pretty negative things for the group.

The good thing is, it will never be more clear what U2 are all about with album #12. If it's ATYCLB III, then they are just the fucking fame whores that the Rollins of the world said, and Eno and Lanois probably did help push their sound along, that is, the best of it.

If they make something in a different vein, they fuck everybody up slightly, one more time. They could stand up for an image overhaul as well. I don't care about such things, but U2 does. God damn, nobody is as insincere as a man wearing sunglasses indoors. FUCK. Baffling. Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's. Larry, even I'd make out with you, stay clear of the quasi-mullet. Adam, no gripes at all, start smoking and drinking again, by all means.

I don't think the next album is quite so be all and end all. I'd be interested in what happens after they hit 5-0, though. I think they will eventually stop craving (particularly) US market/charts success and see it isn't working. They just need to get over the ageing fear.

U2 are the "fame whores" of rock, what with their obsession with America and the desire to be big from early on. Of course, that won't help with the unbiased authority on U2 like Rollins. His old "the average/lousy band who got lucky with great producers/kill Bono" shtick is getting old, and it's weak.

All U2 eras start out with a new image. I don't mind the glasses either way, I have seen bald Edge pictures and :no: whatever you do, keep the Zoo TV/Elevation hat, Edge. It's a part of him now, and it works much better than any other hat. Agreed, longer hair doesn't work on Larry.

U2girl said:

I don't think the next album is quite so be all and end all.
neither do I
if only because - arguably - U2's popularity is the highest it's been since Joshua Tree (possible exception might be the time during the ZOO TV tour, but Zooropa - though a personal favourite - took care of that one)

except for with the band's fans though
they are sick and tired of the band and need a new direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom