New album reviewer question.... who's opinion do you respect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
U2 has been playing their new album to several of U2's friends. People like Flanagan, McCormack (sp), Elysa Gardner, etc... These guys are fans and such. What if for instance, Henry Rollins heard the new album or a person/ reviewer who is really lukewarm to U2 heard it and said, "Hey the new album rocks/ It's really is good." Would the haters' opinions count/ mean more to you or would U2's "friends" be more meaningful (i.e. U2 fans).

I say U2 has truly created a masterpiece if its haters actually liked the new album. I can't wait for Henry Rollins review of "Atomic Bomb." :yes:

I don't think someone like Rollins could ever give U2 praise.
I respect the opinion of a fan more than someone who doesn't like the band. I get real close to U2 records, and I want the person writing about it to have the same connection I do.

I like all kinds of reviews as long as they are honest. I just don't like unfair ones. I think those guys are pretty critical themselves and the fact that they liked the album is great. They wouldn’t lie or over rate it just because they're fans. If Rollins likes the album it wouldn't count more but it would be a good sign I think. But their views of the album will always be their views of the album.

Bill Flanagan's opinion means the most to me. He so obviously "gets" Achtung Baby, my favorite album (read U2 at the end of the world if you haven't already). So, when he says it's their best, allowing for the probable hyperbole, I take that as "better than ATYCLB" which was my only hope. Apparently, mission accomplished.

At the rate the positive reviews are coming in, it would be unlike Rollins to give this praise. It wouldn't be in his nature (the story of the scorpion needing the frog's help to get to the other side of the river fits this description).

i just want to hear my opinion, i'm not listening to them who are talking good nor to the who are talking bad. i think, myself i understand quite a lot of music, i listen to music since when i was 5 years old, my mother gave me milk and music, i don't like reviews, because they are good if the artist is likeable, bad if it's unlikeable to the reviewers. i read so many reviews talking lots of nonsenses, i can save quite a 2 or 3

I worked with Rollins and he's a raging :censored:hole. He was nice to me, but was badmouthing everyone and acting like a total prick. He was calling certain women "fatasses", called a fan that came to talk to him "pizzaface" after he walked away, etc... I asked him why he acted like such a jerk and he laughed and said, "Because I can". That pissed me off. I'm sure as soon as I was out of the room, he was talking s*** about me too. he's just that kind of person. From what I gathered he's very insecure and tears people down as a way of gaining power. Pretty sick.

Even if he LOVED U2's new CD, he'd never admit it.

I would be interested to hear from those who criticized ATYCLB. The reviews were mostly positive but i know Dotmusic, (which isn't even in existence anymore), really ripped the album and said they released a lemon. Also, Spin's initial review wasn't that great, although the next year they were Spin's band of the year. There were other lukewarm reviews that U2 had become complacent and soft, a watered-down version of their prior selves, so i think it would be interesting how they view HTDAAB.

I respect the opinions given by friends of the band like Flannigan, etc but I would never expect anything negative from them either, at least not publicly, because they are close to the inner circle.

I would probably respect most reviews given by U2's peers in the music industry, good or bad, as long as I felt they were honest and gave valid praise or even criticism, not just "U2 sucks."

Music critics...I don't know. You can have someone like Robert Hilburn who respects U2, and maybe gives them a little too much praise. On the other hand, you have Ben Weiner from my local paper who it seems just can't bring himself to give U2 a positive review if his life depended on it. Maybe someone right in the middle of those two viewpoints would be good :shrug:

I would never take a review by Rollins seriously, even if he gave them 10 out of 10 stars. His opinion means nothing to me.

I think someone emailed Rollins (back in the "radio will play Vertigo" scandal days) and asked him what his favorite album was. He said Achtung Baby.

I don't know...it's true Flanagan and McCormick are fans and Dallas Schoo is a part of U2, so it's kind of hard being critical for them. I trust journalists and DJs who heard it and praise it.

I guess I trust people who are neither fans nor haters - thus, an unbiased opinion. I know, boring...

I generally agree with what Rolling Stone and Q have written about U2 in the past, and tend to respect their opinion. I enjoy reading reviews about U2 - always entertaining to see people's takes on things. :shrug:

Most critics are hacks. There is the element that will praise bands like U2 on their worst efforts and the element that will not give U2 any praise on their best efforts.

There is the condescending, tired, indie centered, "so and so sold out" crowd who would never give U2 any credit because they are a huge band that makes a lot of money. And there is the "U2 are the greatest band in the world" crowd who would praise a u2 album if it were Bono farting in a microphone for 60 mintues.

I have always found it better to listen to the music first and read the reviews later. Then it's really easy to judge.

Trust your own ears.

U2DMfan said:

I have always found it better to listen to the music first and read the reviews later. Then it's really easy to judge.

Trust your own ears.

I agree, and for that reason I am reluctant to hear anybody's opinion - even people on this forum until I have listened to 'How To Dismante An Atomic Bomb' for myself..

Jim said:

I agree, and for that reason I am reluctant to hear anybody's opinion - even people on this forum until I have listened to 'How To Dismante An Atomic Bomb' for myself..

I hear ya. I like they way U2 have been able to keep a lid on things. Despite shitty clips of 4 songs, that don't reveal much of anything to anyone who really wants to be critical about it, there isn't anything else out there.

So probably dating back to Zooropa, for me personally, this will be the first album in ages that I will be able to hear with relatively unbiased feeling, on that first "official" listen.

It used to be so exciting to get a new album, CD or whatever and get it home and hear it for the first time all the way thru.
I am trying to keep that feeling alive. I downloaded all the clips, I read most of the threads on this board, and I don't think any of that has changed the way I am looking at HTDAAB.

I do have that natural curiousity though. If a full version of 'Crumbs From Your Table" were posted 5 mintued from now, would I really have the will power to not download it? Maybe for awhile. Then I'd have a few beers and cave in.

That's why I think U2 are really doing a great thing about keeping the lid on it. Unfortunately, they have to make it 2 more months w/o any leaks, and I just don't see that happening. Sure, you say, just don't download it. But, my goodness it's hard to resist. U2 are like religion to me, it's hard not to want to hear new music, especially if it's available at a click of the mouse.
I just don't know how someone can hear a clip of Miracle Drug and already say how great it is, based on those clips. Makes no sense to me.

From the looks of things U2.COM are actually getting up to speed...I see an update from the Vertigo video shoot. The long wait is almost over and I believe this album will have everyone buzzing about U2 being the best band ever

Back
Top Bottom