New Album Predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shaun vox said:
BD...a pop song
stuck in a moment ....a pop song(i like this one)
elevation.......pop rock
walk on .adult contemporary music
kite.. rock
in a little while.
wild honey ..pop
peace on earth...adult contemporary music
when i look..adult contemporary music
new york.
grace.adult contemporary music

actuall this album is a mix of pop and adult contemporary music

Wild honey is the only pop, 4 rock songs (BD,Elevation, Kite and New York), 2 soul songs (Stuck-unless every reviewer and most fans are wrong, In a little while), ambiental attempt with Grace, Walk on and WILATW are a mix between rock and pop and Peace on earth is ... a political song, not really fitting to any genre.

Pop uses far less guitars than U2, and much more cliche/less heavy topics in lyrics, and males don't go to such extremes in their voice like Bono. (George Michael, Elton John, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, ABBA, Simon&Garfunkel, Crowded house, Rod Stewart, early Beatles...)
U2 has even less in common with today's manufactured pop a la Britney, Christina, boybands, Pop Idols...who are nowhere near pop's best songwriters/singers or pop's golden age in the 60's.

Last edited:
well im not talking pop music like christin, boy bands etc.

you dont need a 3 min solo to be rocknroll. all slash solos on velvet revolver are very short.but its the sound thats rock&roll.

bono just said they are making their first rock album so :eyebrow:

the rolling stones are rock&roll, again no big solos but the sound is there. u2 never had a rock&roll sound. well maby the vocals but not the guitars!

brian may uses the same amp as edge but his sound is 100% more rock than edge. maby he is a better guitar player :huh:
same with pink floyed(same vox amp i think)

punk rock has guitars but its not rock&roll, metal has guitars but its not rock&roll, u2 has guitars but its not rock&roll.

so i think this album will be a mix of pop rock songs(easy listening)
because edge is not a dramatic guitar player with a big sound.
i was at the elevation show in front of edge and trust me no one gave a crap what he was playing ever one was looking at bono.
edge has a clean sound(which is nice) but not rock&roll.(again you dont need a 2 or even a 1 min solo) but if you have the skills and talent to do it why not:drool: :drool:

Last edited:
U2 sounds rock & roll to me, POP has heavy songs MOFO, Do You Feel Loved and Gone. AB has a few and even JT with Exit and Bullet the Blue Sky (listen to that solo and tell me that's not rock)

I don't like Elevation that to me is a bad rock sound, that distortion he uses (i think it's a Sobbat pedal) just doesn't do it for me it sounds like a bunch of bumblebees trying to break out of his amp. :lol:

It does seem as though that this album will have a heavier than average (by U2 standards) sound. But if it's the sound of Elevation on 10 songs i'll be disappointed in othe words I hope he's using some heavy amps instead of just pedals for this one, I want to hear him play through a Marshall amp or Mesa Boogie.

yp elevation is a very bad rock song!
he should just use his amp tubes.(vox tube amps) MARSHALL amps:drool: :drool:
i have one(jcm 800 head and cab) and it gives beautiful blues sound great for solos and riffs.
i dont know why but the vox amps he uses give a great rock bluse sound but he never uses it:huh: :huh:

Let's also not forget two people who probably influenced today's "pop" more than anyone, Michael Jackson (the sound/dance moves) and Madonna (stressing the looks instead of music, image changing).

I may have not listened to Guns n Roses since my primary school years but they use lots of long solos, which, along with riffs is (one of the ways of) defining rock.
Again, Brian May uses more solos than Edge so it's not really fair to compare them. I like both of them. (that said Edge had plenty of solos on AB)

Punk (rock), metal, even psychedelia (Pink Floyd) are all forms of rock n roll. U2 is rock n roll, it has rock songs on every album, they have political/challenging lyrics. (War and AB most notably)
Rock is NOT all about 5 minute solos.

ok the solo for november rain is maby a 1 min solo i think so ya.......

have you see all these new metal rock bands non of them have guitar solos and they suck well most of them do.

well the point is u2 were rock&roll during ZOOTV but after that they just well you know what kind of music they are making now.

So Shaun, you're trying to tell me that pre-1984 U2 was not rock and roll, even though their live shows (ESPECIALLY 1983) rocked a whole lot harder than ZooTV? Indeed, say what you will about their studio performances - I feel all their live performances (or at least all pre-Elevation) rock something fierce and live is all I listen to any more. U2 live beats U2 studio by a mile, and U2 studio beats everyone else by about ten miles.

Last edited:
Who cares how anyone defines U2? You could call their music 16th century baroque style and it wouldn't change how it sounds...so what difference does it make?

has any one seen MTV2 20 best bands(or something like that)
u2 were no 5.their is this old guy and he talks about how u2 sound but when he talked about atyclb he said their Current Incarnation ,,they are a pop band and a very good one.. and then they played stuck in a moment.(which i love)

so ya u2 are more of an alternative rock kind of thingy yaaaaaaaaaaa.

I hope Bono isn't blowing smoke up our asses this time telling us it's gonna be heavy and all that and then it comes out and we get 10 Electrical Storms. :yuck:

Ok i'm exagerating and doubt it'll be like that but I really hope he sticks to his word about it being heavy.

Last edited:
In my opinion, ten Electrical Storms would be fantastic. That's one great song.

However, I agree with you. I want my heavy U2 record!

I agree, Electrical Storm is a great song, and i'd be happy with 10 electrical storms. But I don't want a particularly heavy U2 record...I want it to sound like U2, and I want songs like Lemon, UF and The First Time (yes, I know it ain't gonna happen...)

EvolutionMonkey said:
I hope Bono isn't blowing smoke up our asses this time telling us it's gonna be heavy and all that and then it comes out and we get 10 Electrical Storms. :yuck:

I hope 12... But it could have just one or two Eletrical Storms...

I would rather them cut off the two so-so songs and just make it ten tracks if they were just added to make the album longer.

Think how many numbers of songs are on it doesn't matter but duration of them:
If it contains 8 numbers of about 7min (with long Edge playing :edge: ) that's fine by me...

silenus said:
Think how many numbers of songs are on it doesn't matter but duration of them:
If it contains 8 numbers of about 7min (with long Edge playing :edge: ) that's fine by me...

- No long solos... Boooooring.
- 7 min long songs can be dangerous. I prefer 3:30, 4...
- Taste is enemy of art. So so songs can be great for somebody.

I don't know... :eyebrow:

It's going to be interesting to see how they market this album if in fact it is a heavy album. I wonder if Bono's gonna grow the mullet back and start thrashing around the stage. :wink:

7 minute songs are not dangerous if they are really really good!

Bad and Lemon are 2 of the best U2 songs ever, though Lemon is never played on the radio! I did hear Bad played on the radio once on this classic rock station (93.1 in Los Angeles) and I heard the best rock-block ever: Streets, Bullet, and Bad live from WAIA!

The band is usually good with 7 min songs :wink:

u2-vertigo 11/23/04
First single radio-Full Metal Jacket 09/14/04
First single stores- 10/26/04

The Sage said:
As long as they don't sell out like ATYCLB...

You mean sell out like "The Joshua Tree". ;)

Sorry, but I can do without my rock stars preaching to me, capitalizing on their "holy" image that they've created.

Every band who signs a contract is a sellout. Nirvana were sellouts.....geez, I hate that comment, because it really makes no sense. Why do bands play in the first place if they don't intend on capturing an audience? :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom