New Album Prediction - Given Recent Events

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Here are my thoughts on the new album.

When they will begin recording and release it is anyone's guess given recent events w/ family illness, severe enough to postpone the last 10 gigs.

I would wager a guess that there will be some MONSTER riffs from Edge, filled w/ anger and fire.

Think: Until the End of the World, God II, HMTMKMKM, The Fly, Acrobat, Vertigo, Elevation, Bullet the Blue Sky, or Electric Co.

I would also wager a guess that there will be some of the most touching, heart wrenching ballads of their career w/ the focal point being the sick family member.

Think: SYCMIOYO, One, Stuck in a Moment, The First Time, Mothers of the Disappeared, So Cruel, Running to Stand Still, or MLK.

This current situation is another turning point in their long and flourishing career. Things will be different going forward.

What are your thoughts?

I would actually think that instead of getting fiery "monster" riffs, we'd get something more sombre and mournful. Though, of course, that could lead in the direction of Bad or it could lead in the direction of Love Is Blindness.

And maybe Bono's recent poor lyrical form will improve and we'll get some songs with truly moving lyrics.

Axver said:
And maybe Bono's recent poor lyrical form

Wow! I had no idea you felt the same way! :ohmy:

I mean... reading your posts raving about HTDAAB, I would have never guessed that!

Zootlesque said:

I mean... reading your posts raving about HTDAAB, I would have never guessed that!

I think even most HTDAAB apologists (like myself) would agree that it's definitely one of Bono's least impressive albums lyrically, if not the least impressive.

But regarding the subject at hand, I have to admit that when I heard the news one of the first thoughts in my mind was how it was going to effect the next album. It should be really interesting to hear what they'll come up with considering the unfortunate circumstances.

Zootlesque said:

Really? Before the actual HTDAAB songs were released, the lyrics leaked and I was unimpressed with all of them apart from Crumbs, but I reserved judgement until I heard the songs themselves (plenty of other great U2 songs have lyrics that don't sound so great when taken without their music or the emotion with which they are sung). And now that half of HTDAAB has really lost its lustre for me, some of the lyrics bother me.

And ATYCLB is just a lyrical trainwreck for me - you surely know my opinion on In A Little While! Other songs like Wild Honey, Elevation, and New York are also rather lyrically wanting in my opinion, and as much as I like Walk On, it strays into cliched territory a bit too much.

Lyrically, my favourite material is the 1984-1989 poetic lyrics and the introspective, hard-hitting lyrics of Pop songs like Wake Up Dead Man.

t8thgr8 said:
this will be locked, they dont take kindly to speculation of this matter around here.

You can't see the difference in what you did and what this poster did?:rolleyes:

Axver said:

you surely know my opinion on In A Little While!

Oh yeah! How could I forget? ;) But many times in the past, you've come off (at least to me) as a 00s defender. That's why I was surprised.

Axver said:

Lyrically, my favourite material is the 1984-1989 poetic lyrics and the introspective, hard-hitting lyrics of Pop songs like Wake Up Dead Man.

You forgot

One
Until The End
Acrobat
Who's Gonna Ride
So Cruel
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Love Is Blindness
:drool:

Ultraviolet
Tryin to throw
:drool: :wink:

Hell, Zooropa had some really awesome lyrics too

Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
The Wanderer
Dirty Day
Daddy's Gonna Pay
The First Time
Numb

I'm sure the recent events will influence the albums direction in someway but I'd think it'll definitely delay it if they plan on reschedualing the Australian tour.

Anyway, there's been no offical word on any prognosis so hopefully Edge's daughter comes though all this ok.

Zootlesque said:

Oh yeah! How could I forget? ;) But many times in the past, you've come off (at least to me) as a 00s defender. That's why I was surprised.

Well, I do think some of the criticisms of the last two albums are unfounded. I also think the nineties are completely overhyped. Part of my argument is a response to excessive praise of the nineties.

You forgot

One
Until The End
Acrobat
Who's Gonna Ride
So Cruel
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Love Is Blindness

Ultraviolet
Tryin to throw
:drool: :wink:

You should've put One in the second category. I prefer Ultra Violet's lyrics, as bad as they may be in parts, over One. WGRYWH isn't that special either.

UTEOTW, Acrobat, The Fly, and LIB have awesome lyrics. So does So Cruel, but it's a shame the accompanying music leaves something to be desired.

XHendrix24 said:

I think even most HTDAAB apologists (like myself) would agree that it's definitely one of Bono's least impressive albums lyrically, if not the least impressive.

But regarding the subject at hand, I have to admit that when I heard the news one of the first thoughts in my mind was how it was going to effect the next album. It should be really interesting to hear what they'll come up with considering the unfortunate circumstances.

Um... no. I don't consider myself an "apologist". If one really really likes HTDAAB, does that mean I'm an "apologist"? If so, then I consider others a JT or "Pop" or "October" apologist.

I really like the lyrics on HTDAAB. I felt some of his worst were on "Pop". And while JT had some gems, there were also some major flops too (lyrically). In fact, I feel that way way about most U2 albums.

As for the directly the album, speculation is fun - but I'm still convinced that U2 are moving in the way of "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars" with a hint of throwback, ala "Mercy" - something that is definitive U2, but not quite as catchy or pop-like.

I hope the sick family member doesn't have an influence. Hopefully for Edge, the illness isn't that bad and it will just postpone the tour and it'll be over in maybe a few weeks.

And I don't see what's wrong with HTDAAB and ATYCLB lyrics. At least there weren't any increadibly terrible lyrics (well, with maybe the exception of Wild Honey) like Lemon and Miami's lyrics. I didn't think Miracle Drug's lyrics were any good until I read that story about the paralized guy it was about, then I thought the lyrics were amazing. Kind of like how you wouldn't get the lyrics to Bad and Running to Stand Still if you didn't know they were about heroine.

I'm HOPING, I'm PRAYING, I'm WANTING; another experimental album. IE: Achtung, Zooropa

But I'll take another; All That You Can't Leave Behind

A MUST: Lanois & Eno MUST produce it.

doubleU said:

You can't see the difference in what you did and what this poster did?:rolleyes:

i dont know. in one thread you have someone looking to prosper from u2's sick child and another just questioning the excuse. you tell me. :rolleyes:

Numb1075 said:
Here are my thoughts on the new album.

When they will begin recording and release it is anyone's guess given recent events w/ family illness, severe enough to postpone the last 10 gigs.

I would wager a guess that there will be some MONSTER riffs from Edge, filled w/ anger and fire.

This current situation is another turning point in their long and flourishing career. Things will be different going forward.

What are your thoughts?

sounds a little excited, no?

im not saying hes wrong, but its no easier than my thread.

Re: Re: New Album Prediction - Given Recent Events

t8thgr8 said:

sounds a little excited, no?

im not saying hes wrong, but its no easier than my thread.

I totally disagree, and I don't see any particular glee in the original post.

There's a world of difference between wondering how the current situation may influence U2's musical direction and accusing U2 of lying about the postponement of the tour. Surely you see that.

i see that. but if there was a time to do this quick record it woul dbe now. and this is the perfect scapegoat. that's all im saying. i have yet to read any news that anyones kid is dying. they havent even reported what the illness is. you have no idea if they sat around and decided to take a break maybe for the illness and an extra few weeks for something else.

this is a weird ass band.

t8thgr8 said:
i see that. but if there was a time to do this quick record it woul dbe now. and this is the perfect scapegoat. that's all im saying. i have yet to read any news that anyones kid is dying. they havent even reported what the illness is. you have no idea if they sat around and decided to take a break maybe for the illness and an extra few weeks for something else.

this is a weird ass band.

The illness was reported at the beginning of the tour, and Bono made it clear during Zoo Station at Argentina(I believe) that it was Edge's daughter and that "daddy's coming home". You are one sick individual to believe that they are making this up to record an album.

Re: Re: Re: New Album Prediction - Given Recent Events

Axver said:

I totally disagree, and I don't see any particular glee in the original post.

There's a world of difference between wondering how the current situation may influence U2's musical direction and accusing U2 of lying about the postponement of the tour. Surely you see that.

Axver! Have you made a full apology yet to all the interference members after your incoherent, stupid and insensitve ramblings of yesterday! I am surprised you can still show your face round here!!

doubleU said:

The illness was reported at the beginning of the tour, and Bono made it clear during Zoo Station at Argentina(I believe) that it was Edge's daughter and that "daddy's coming home". You are one sick individual to believe that they are making this up to record an album.

I agree, if the illness is this bad we should be hoping for her to get better, not hoping for U2 to come out with some amazing album because the sickness is that serious or that there's no one sick at all.

There was in fact no glee in my initial post. Obviously, I feel terrible for all involved, but I posted my prayers and thoughts in the General Tours Discussion with everyone else.

In this forum, Where the Album has No Name, I see no issue in speculating how future recordings will be shaped by these recent events.

I think we can all agree that this illness, regardless if it is indeed Edge's daugther or not, will affect the band one way or another as they go forward. a tragedy or a difficult time can have a profound impact on an artist's work and sometimes brings out things they never thought possible. if memory serves, weren't they recording achtung baby right after edge got a divorce? it isn't right to get excited about it, but i think it should be in the back of our minds whenever they do come out with another album.

Who knows, maybe this whole thing will make the band realize there is more to life than music. Maybe they'll think, we've done everything we could do in the music world, we've made all the money we'll ever need, maybe now's the time to focus on our family/kids.

Not saying that will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Chizip said:
Who knows, maybe this whole thing will make the band realize there is more to life than music. Maybe they'll think, we've done everything we could do in the music world, we've made all the money we'll ever need, maybe now's the time to focus on our family/kids.

Not saying that will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

I've had the same thought. Maybe those "postponed" concerts will never be played :shrug:

Here's what I think it's going to happen:

They will come back and do those shows. God knows when but I don't think it will be too long.

Sian is going to be okay.

They will go back to the studio and do a great album which I don't think will be all too rock n' roll but still with lots of guitars and great melodies and probably with a song for Sian. Maybe Edge will sing it. Hopefully there will be some experimentation on it (and a couple of good rockers too).

Then they will go back on the road and tour the fuck out of the new album. It will be a great tour.

Maybe I’m being too hopeful and positive but I get the feeling that everything will be ok. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom