New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfave

New Yorker
U2 working on new album - music - entertainment | Stuff.co.nz

Irish rock stars U2 are working on a new album while they are in New Zealand.

The band, who are performing two Auckland shows today and Friday, were using their time while they were in the country wisely.

The band's manager, Paul McGuinness, said U2 had a deadline looming for their latest album and were working on finishing it while they are here.

''We are trying very hard to use this time in New Zealand and Australia to finish an album that will be released [in autumn],'' he said.

McGuinness said while the band were not actually recording in New Zealand, they were working hard on the finishing touches.

''It's not so much recording as editing and polishing up lyrics and trying to getting it done by the date it needs to be delivered to the record company for release in May.

''It's sounding great: lots of hits.''

It is in Australia/New Zealand, though ... right?

If it's summer there now, and our winter is their summer, that makes May fall? Or something?

And water runs the other way down the drain, and they have dingoes and kangaroos and Hobbits.

There's another interview with Adam in an NZ paper. It's online... but I'm lazy... but it's not really worth checking out anyway. It's not that good/interesting/worth reading really, but he does mention that what they are working on now is a definite break from ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH. Very different for U2. No other information, not even a hint. Just that comment.

There's another interview with Adam in an NZ paper. It's online... but I'm lazy... but it's not really worth checking out anyway. It's not that good/interesting/worth reading really, but he does mention that what they are working on now is a definite break from ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH. Very different for U2. No other information, not even a hint. Just that comment.

U2: 'We're still in the driving seat' - Entertainment - NZ Herald News

The band are working on new material at present and the next album will be different again.

"It is quite a fresh area for U2 to be working in. I don't think it's going to sound like familiar U2 territory at all. The creative process is always exhilarating and fun, because you can go as far as you like."

And that's all he's saying about the new songs until they play them live - so pick your moment when you go and get that hotdog.

U2: 'We're still in the driving seat' - Entertainment - NZ Herald News

Was this it?
He said
"We decided consciously to go back indoors and play indoor concerts because at an indoor concert you don't need to have as much production value and you can pretty much be on stage and do it with the music alone.

"That cycle continued through How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and on No Line On The Horizon, which although it sounded like a band that had grown, we were still very much working in that stripped-down format, and it's probably the end of another cycle."

The band are working on new material at present and the next album will be different again.

"It is quite a fresh area for U2 to be working in. I don't think it's going to sound like familiar U2 territory at all. The creative process is always exhilarating and fun, because you can go as far as you like."

And that's all he's saying about the new songs until they play them live - so pick your moment when you go and get that hotdog."

So it's interesting that he grouped NLOTH in with the other two 00's albums, which would imply that they've admitted they weren't really outside of their comfort zone, and then he goes ahead and says the new one won't be familiar at all! Could be hyperbole, but i'd rather he's said this than "oh, the next album is a back to our roots kind of thing."

Dangermouse?
Club album?
Fresh areas?
I'm really looking forward to hearing their new stuff! :hyper:
Even better, it's implied that they'll be debuting more new tracks during the tour! :hyper: :D

EDIT: sorry purpleoscar, didn't see ya there... nonetheless my comments still stand

Good :wave:

I find it interesting that they'd need another half a year to 'polish up the songs', it sounds like they could get it out by december...
anybody reckon they're planning to release it tactically between tour legs? :hmm:

It supposed to be May which would be autumn in New Zealand.

''It's not so much recording as editing and polishing up lyrics and trying to getting it done by the date it needs to be delivered to the record company for release in May.

It would be nice if they will debut any finished or close to finished songs before May. Though part of me likes the fact that much of it is a surprise.

I'm just glad that they are putting out an album well within four years, and not depending on the holidays for big sales.

Sure they want to have it out for the next leg, but, honestly, they didn't need to do that. The shows are already sold.

It seems that they're excited about what they are doing and want it out there.

that's quite a bit of time between finishing an album and releasing the album. if they finish it next week, there's no reason why it can't be out in February.

that's quite a bit of time between finishing an album and releasing the album. if they finish it next week, there's no reason why it can't be out in February.

I honestly don't see why they need half a year to finish it if it honestly just needs 'polishing' :huh:

May is so far away! :scream: But if their plan is to release something before the US leg as they've said (or we've speculated? I can't keep track anymore), then of course that makes sense.

Beats the hell out of Christmas 2011. :lol:

True that!

Damn I've been hyped up on soda and this news isn't helping!:lol: My day has been freaking great! October and War Remasters arrived, I finished my cover of New Year's Day (uploading to YouTube now), and now the news of this album. I'm very curious to see what they've got in store for us this time around. If it's experimental goodness then I truly cannot wait. Aaaahhhhhhhh1!!!!1!!!!

Nice! Five months until release...:hmm: Too much time for finishing touches and RE-touches? I hope they keep the same vigor going & don't rethink too much. (How many times have we all said that in the last decade?) Hopefully the tour momentum will help!

It makes sense to release it in May. Isn't that when about the North American part of the tour kicks off again? And it's not entirely sold out yet, right? Seems like good timing to me. Maybe they like releasing in the Spring better than Feb - bad taste from NLOTH sales? Who knows. It's encouraging.

It is in Australia/New Zealand, though ... right?

If it's summer there now, and our winter is their summer, that makes May fall? Or something?

And water runs the other way down the drain, and they have dingoes and kangaroos and Hobbits.

:lol:

So...May semi-confirmed? Nice.
Normally, I'd say they'll just finish it and leave it sitting in the vaults SOA-style, but McGuinness did mention a set deadline...:hmm:

I honestly don't see why they need half a year to finish it if it honestly just needs 'polishing' :huh:

This is U2 we're talking about. They could have had SOA out at the end of 2009, and still released this new project in 2011 (I wish they had :sad:), but second guessing and polishing is their MO from 2000-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom