New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lead singer hurting his back mid-tour has no bearing on a alleged follow-up album release ? Really ?

Yes, it seems it sped the process up. It seems it was a positive, in terms of new material. Not a negative. Sounds like it gave them the perfect opportunity to focus on it, rather than the previous sporadic bursts/broken mid-tour sessions. They didn't seem to fully stop writing/recording after the release of No Line, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere. Somewhere in that break it seems they switched from all of this loose writing/recording thing into a focused, get in a producer, nail it down phase. Bono busting his back doesn't seem like it put the brakes on a release, it seems like it could have accelerated it.

I'd point to McGuiness' analogy of AB/Zooropa and NLOTH/SOA and his several estimations about SOA release. Bono's comments on a "Spring single" and EBW being the lead single. And the various comments other U2 members made about SOA over the months...

SoA is what they were calling their 'work in progress' from the end of No Line on, for some time. It might even be the name of the next album. It might not. They might consider it it's own, unique thing and not want to touch that material, for any number of reasons - too weird, sounds crap given some space, too traditional etc. They might not. I don't think they are anywhere near as strict in categorisation and classification as you seem to think they are. They have full songs, evolving ideas, basic sketches, hints of things, riffs, vague melodies - and I think to them, it's probably all in the end one pile. At one point, the most fully formed of these - leftovers from No Line - they thought could be the foundation for an album called SoA. At the time of promoting No Line, they only said they had the foundation (can't remember the exact number, but it was 4-6 songs or something), including the 'lead single' in EBW. They thought they could get the rest done and get it out pretty soon after No Line, similar to Zooropa. For whatever reason, or mix of reasons, that changed. At what point - if any - this material was left behind, or evolved along the way with more material as it was created, lord knows. But there's been nothing to suggest that Songs of Ascent is some complete 10+ track album that they finished (properly finished) and then just left on the shelf, before starting again on a range of new material.And they were back to writing/recording almost immediately after the tour first began.

Earnie : We might know - songs might have hints like "original production by Eno/Lanois" or "original production by Rick Rubin" in the credits. I for one will be surprised if the DM album is, in fact, SOA and that they would consider a brand new producer better/more fitting than the most long-term producing team of their career. Unless he's the new Eno and they genuinely have something groundbreaking on pair with the UF and AB reinventions.

NO one has said that the DM 'is Songs of Ascent' because I don't think there would be too many people here who think of it as it's own album. I think there's no reason why some of the material that originated back then could not have over time gone through several evolutions, perhaps even reaching into the DM sessions. You should lose the idea that Songs of Ascent is a complete, finished, stand alone, wholly separate 'album' sitting on a shelf. It is/was an idea and title based around some complete material, and some work-in-progress material. At some point they either wholly moved on, or as their working moved forward, maybe some of it got brought along for the ride, and perhaps even some superficial parts of it (the title?) are still alive. But it is likely a fluid evolution, either in thinking terms or in pure material terms. Not finish one project, put it to one side, start another wholly new project, put it to one side, start a third with DM, release that with the other two still sitting aside.

Fuck me, you know what would resolve this pointless mess. A band who would release information that isn't hyperbole or contridictions to another member statement.

I never understood the secrecy behind U2's albums. I can understand bootlegs, stolen recordings, etc.....but when it comes to releasing some actual information????

How about this:

Bono--"We're working on a album with DM. No title yet, but the songs are shaping up to be great. We are shooting for a May release, but like anything we do, there's always the element of surprise and that date could change"

I understand that's not poetic enough for Bonospeak, but it would keep some of these conversations from going around in circles.

I don't believe we'll ever see a SOA album. Bono had the idea, it was tossed around, and as of right now, nothing the band is working on appears to be related to that concept.

Not the idea, no. I would think the concept of SoA (an album meditative pilgrims songs, or whatever the hell it was) would be done and dead, and although Bono would probably quite like that to not be the case, I imagine the realities of U2 will forever keep it buried.

I think there's no reason why some of the material that originated back then could not have over time gone through several evolutions, perhaps even reaching into the DM sessions. You should lose the idea that Songs of Ascent is a complete, finished, stand alone, wholly separate 'album' sitting on a shelf. It is/was an idea and title based around some complete material, and some work-in-progress material. At some point they either wholly moved on, or as their working moved forward, maybe some of it got brought along for the ride, and perhaps even some superficial parts of it (the title?) are still alive. But it is likely a fluid evolution, either in thinking terms or in pure material terms. Not finish one project, put it to one side, start another wholly new project, put it to one side, start a third with DM, release that with the other two still sitting aside.

STOP! Your logic will make interference cry.

U2 360 Tour Will Be A 'Spectacle,' Bono And The Edge Say | News Video | MTV

See video 5. Bono says "we may have an album....(muffles himself) by the tour, um." It obvious that they are close but don't want to get caught with a deadline and also they probably want to surprise us especially based on Adam's comments of a different direction for them. They are perfectionists and love to delay things because they get new ideas towards the end and they don't want to release anything until they feel just right. Even the muffle sounds like he says May. :lol: Who cares? The album comes out when it's ready.

I agree with everything Earnie and Headache said.

And I don't understand why we're getting less info out of the band this time around compared to NLOTH. Where are the little videos with scraps of music for us to drool over? Even Adam's "James Bond" clip was cool and it at least let us know the band was working. Come on guys, throw us a friggin' bone!

What I am curious to know is what will become of North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Glastonbury, Mercy, Stingray and (??????)Boy Falls(??????)...do we even include Boy Falls?

What happens?

It's clear to me that North Star, Wave, and Glastonbury will be on the album. It's why they're playing them on tour. Besides, all three are fantastic songs. I think they WANT Stingray to be on the album, but they'll go back and forth on whether it fits or whether it should wait until the club record.

I'm pretty sure that Mercy will not be included. I know there are a lot of people who love that song, but I'm sure that's the reason they released the live version. They won't release it again.

I also doubt they'll include Boy Falls. They're playing it live, but the reason for that could simply be to promote the musical. From what I've heard, it's not even the best song from the musical. Do they include three or four songs from Spidey? Absolutely not. Besides, there might even be contractual restrictions on that. However, there is a side that would argue that releasing it on an album and having it featured on their tour would be a HUGE boost to the musical. And the tour. Imagine the synergy in that. So who knows.

Bottom line is they're working on an album with Danger Mouse (seriously, listen to Broken Bells. It's basically the Shins with a, say, Gorillaz-like groove. Fantastic!). It'll include the three songs above. They're trying to get it ready to release by the Mexican and American dates because that just makes all the sense in the world and they know that.

Also, there was some speculation earlier about Bono saying they wanted to have an album out by "the end of the tour," which caused some panic. Even by me. But he actually says "by the tour." He said this while in New York, so clearly he means by the American tour."

Will it happen? They don't even know.

My totally random guesses…

Every Breaking Wave: So much confidence in it post No Line. Just wreaks of the sort of thing they’d latch onto and not let go of. Electro based builder – smells like something that could really work with a DM touch. If I had to put money on one of these songs to be on the album, this would be it.

Mercy: 50/50. Could have simply been reserected purely as a live treat. I’m sure they’re clued into it’s mythological status among the hardcore. Even the reworking could have been only with that in mind - simply about making it better/tighter for live performance. The release on WAIE could just as easily mean that’s its only intention, as it could that it’s got a greater future.

Glastonbury and Boy Falls: I would think that “Why?” would be a pretty big question. But then “Why not?” is probably the likely answer. I hope neither are on the album. Get the feeling both would be those ‘stand out from the crowd’ tracks. Created separate to the rest of the album, and it shows. Glastonbury would give them the opportunity to do something unique and good, for them. Release it as a one off download after the festival. Give it to Glastonbury festival goers for free in some way. That would be a far better and more genuine nod to the festival. Kind of cool thing to do. Leave Boy Falls to Spiderman. It sounds like it might not even be around by May anyway. But anyway, of these two, I'd say Glastonbury has a pretty good chance, Boy Falls, almost none.

North Star: Lord knows. Nice enough. Isn’t it really quite old? Bomb or ATYCLB era originally? It is the most odd for them to play, so it probably means it’s genuinely on the radar. But isn’t ‘North Star’ Sarah Palins nickname? ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!

Stingray Guitar: is not a song!

And I would just add that I think what they've stopped playing is probably more important than what they've continued to play. EBW, NS, Glastonbury in. Mercy, Boy Falls out. Also wouldn't mind betting that EBW and NS were deliberately given the basic, give-nothing-away Bono/Edge duet treatment.

ok... obviously they did say "no" to where ever the rest of the songs from the no line recording sessions were going, because they have a new producer, and we've seen songs that were allegedly "songs of ascent" songs played on tour.

i just don't fucking get it... why? honestly people... why? they were talking about releasing a quick follow up to all that you can't leave behind as well. how'd that work out?

SONGS OF ASCENT NEVER HAD A RELEASE DATE! IT WAS BONO BEING BONO! WHY CAN'T YOU FIGURE THAT OUT?

i will now go bang my head against a wall for a half an hour, because i don't have the proper equipment to give myself electroshock therapy.

Having a new producer and working on a new set of different songs doesn't eqate SOA being dead and buried. And the only alledged SOA song on tour is EBW.

After ATYCLB - and after Bomb - it was only Bono talking, and with far less info than we had/have after NLOTH.

:up: Irrelevant...but ... ever tried the relase date line with those complaining against Bono/McGuiness/U2/whoever because we didn't get SOA in 2009 ? Should be good to watch.

Fuck me, you know what would resolve this pointless mess. A band who would release information that isn't hyperbole or contridictions to another member statement.

I never understood the secrecy behind U2's albums. I can understand bootlegs, stolen recordings, etc.....but when it comes to releasing some actual information????

How about this:

Bono--"We're working on a album with DM. No title yet, but the songs are shaping up to be great. We are shooting for a May release, but like anything we do, there's always the element of surprise and that date could change"

I understand that's not poetic enough for Bonospeak, but it would keep some of these conversations from going around in circles.

I don't believe we'll ever see a SOA album. Bono had the idea, it was tossed around, and as of right now, nothing the band is working on appears to be related to that concept.

Bono: We're working with DM. Songs are coming quickly. An album by the end of this tour. US dates, specifically.

:shrug:

I rather liked the relative silence from the band - meaning Bono - before NLOTH. It meant Lanois was (falsely) overhyping the album, but it was refreshing as opposed to being bombarded with notes every week a la Bomb. Even if "we're getting lost in the music" from Edge was getting old at the end.

Well to me it sounds vaguely like a half-assed attempt to channel Pete Townshend that didn't work out to well. But I haven't enjoyed any of the Spiderman bits I've heard so far, certainly nothing that was in the 60 Minutes piece.

Well to me it sounds vaguely like a half-assed attempt to channel Pete Townshend that didn't work out to well. But I haven't enjoyed any of the Spiderman bits I've heard so far, certainly nothing that was in the 60 Minutes piece.

Sounds better than anything that pedophile did to me

Sounds better than anything that pedophile did to me

Agreed!

I think for now we should just look at it this way: U2 gave us a 6 song EP in 2010. Stingray, Glastonbury, North Star, EBW, Mercy and Boy Falls. On my iTunes, those 6 songs are labelled as "Wide Awake in Europe EP", and so they shall remain. Not bad considering they released an album last year.

While I am excited about the possibility of a new album, I'm also ready to accept that there won't be a new album before the end of the 360 tour, and that we'll have to wait a few more years after that until the next album/tour cycle begins. While I don't wish for that, I'm ok with it. I've got 2 U2 concerts next summer, and that's really all I'm thinking about for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom