NEW album in next 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazza

War Child
The new content for those songs sounds far to "polished" to be in 'development work' - i reckon we are going to see another Zooropa... ie: bang out a new albumn with 1/2yrs of the Atomic Bomb!!!

don't think so
I think they still are to decide on production of all of this
+ as far as we know there's only material for half an album at best

I don't think so. This stuff may be a bit more developed than the Axtung Beibi Out-takes (especially the "all my life" song), but it still feels like U2's studio work during development.

I think predictions of a 2007 album are most realistic.

IT'S GONNA BE NOVEMBER 2006! Of course it has to be just before Christmas time...and IMHO they're already too far in the process to wait another year till november 2007...

It does put U2 in a strange place, one I don't think we're really seen them in before. They seem to be pretty far along in recording, but are they far along enough to release something before they go on tour?

If not are they going to finish it up and release a 2007 album? Will they release an album without a tour, or will they be ready to go out on the road again?

It seems like a release soon would be best for them, with them including a few songs on the tour, and maybe extend the tour a little longer.

Otherwise this stuff may get shelved and sit around for awhile...

The skeptic in me:
I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt it. Everything would have to go perfect for a 2006 Christmas release, and I don't see them releasing an album at any time other than this. I think they're going to keep milking the release date where they get three grammys out of one single, and then get even more with the rest of the album.

The hopefulness in me:
I think these are just inital recordings, they do sound a bit polished though as people are saying above me. Plus, if they have four to five outtakes from HTDAAB that are solid, something could come out quickly. However, they'd have to be pretty solid. No way is the band going to put out an album that doens't contend with HTDAAB.

BANZAI said:
IT'S GONNA BE NOVEMBER 2006! Of course it has to be just before Christmas time...and IMHO they're already too far in the process to wait another year till november 2007...

so you are saying with the whole 9 minutes of audio that we have that this is polished enough for an album this year? UR outa ur mind! NO way is that gonna happen..:no: We will be lucky and I mean very lucky if we seen an album next year.

what's the rush to put an album this year? Besides, zooropa have they rushed to finish an album in less than a year. Not that I recall. They have no reason to rush an album.. Other than the holidays I don't see that as a big motivation for a new album (oh and the few dates in the fall to test it out..i doubt it). It would be hella cool if they did what Radiohead did this year, they did a small tour earlier this year and played their new songs at all the shows without an album being released. That is quite a risk/leap for a band to do and I commend them for it.. U2 should take that chance but I don't see it happening..

oh.. and in case you forgot.. they are touring in the fall. Doesn't leave them much time to work on the album...:huh:
oy vey mama! :banghead:

Last edited:
If a producer had been named, I'd be more optimistic. But I dunno if you can even get the mastering, production and distribution out in 6 months for a major release like theirs is bound to be.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

so you are saying with the whole 9 minutes of audio that we have that this is polished enough for an album this year? UR outa ur mind! NO way is that gonna happen..:no: We will be lucky and I mean very lucky if we seen an album next year.

oh.. and in case you forgot.. they are touring in the fall. Doesn't leave them much time to work on the album...:huh:

Well I can hope :wink:

As I posted on the other thread;

U2Star lists these U2 songs. Add the new 5 and we have something very album-like pretty much ready to go..

These are songs that have been mentioned in the buildup to U2's next studio album:
"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.
"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

BANZAI said:

Well I can hope :wink:

i know here's to hoping.. just don't hold your breath! :giggle: U2 just has never worked at that rushed of a pace. Those guys are perfectionists thats for sure.. They live in that fear of making "a crap album" so with that in mind I think that they will continue to work on this stuff for the rest of the year into the next. Taking their time and getting it right..

U2Fanatic4ever said:
U2 just has never worked at that rushed of a pace.

Zooropa? October? War, UF, and RAH weren't exactly made at a crawl like HTDAAB either.

My best guess for how things will go is this (as posted in the other thread):

- Now: U2 by themselves in the studio, creating tunes.
(- If the September non-album single rumour is true: Bring in a producer they know well, like Lanois, to produce a couple of songs for this single.)
- Late October: tour rehearsal
- November/December: tour.
- First half 2007: bring in album producer, record album.
- Second half 2007: release album, probably closer to Christmastime.

That seems realistic to me.

Its a nice idea, but u2 have so much going on already these upcoming few months (tour,dvd release,book release..) i think it would be too much for us to ask for an album. I have my hopes set on 2007.

Axver said:

Zooropa? October? War, UF, and RAH weren't exactly made at a crawl like HTDAAB either.

My best guess for how things will go is this (as posted in the other thread):

- Now: U2 by themselves in the studio, creating tunes.
(- If the September non-album single rumour is true: Bring in a producer they know well, like Lanois, to produce a couple of songs for this single.)
- Late October: tour rehearsal
- November/December: tour.
- First half 2007: bring in album producer, record album.
- Second half 2007: release album, probably closer to Christmastime.

That seems realistic to me.

i hear ya on that axver, and I did mention zooropa but.. there are so many things factoring in nowadays.. for one the guys are older, their pace in doing albums has slowed down a bit, their lives are quite busy too, health of family members. I also said I could see an album release next year but certainly not this year there is too much going on..

Do you remember that even before the VertigoTour Bono, Edge, Steve Lillywhite and (i think) Poul McGuinness all said about a possible new album in 2006?
EVEN BEFORE THE START OF THE VERTIGO TOUR!!

...and now those clips:hmm:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

i hear ya on that axver, and I did mention zooropa but.. there are so many things factoring in nowadays.. for one the guys are older, their pace in doing albums has slowed down a bit, their lives are quite busy too, health of family members. I also said I could see an album release next year but certainly not this year there is too much going on..

While what you described could lead to the band slowing down, it could also do the opposite and cause them to speed up. They realise they don't have all the time they used to have, and their age doesn't help sell albums in today's world, so I'm wondering if they're going to try to get out as much as they can now.

I wonder if these recordings change anything in the U2 camp, or if they care.

I know this isn't anything close to the AB outtakes, but U2 has always been pretty protective of their "new" songs. I wonder if this makes them want to speed up the process any...

When I saw this thread title I nearly shat my pants and jumped out of my chair. Curses!

Anyways, I'm thinking they'll finish up the album mid next year and release it late 2007. This IS U2 we're talking about. They take forever. For all we know they could have these songs sounding almost finished only to rip em into pieces and start over again. Heck, on the Bomb they basically took an extra year doing that. I HOPE they don't do this, but being optimistic about new U2 material in the past has only ever let me down.

These new songs sound nearly finished though, the ideas for them at least. They all seem to have finished structure, somewhat finished lyrics and adequate instrumentation (from what I can hear). The fact that we've already heard 4-5 new songs that could potentially be on their next album might make the band a little uneasy. I wonder how they feel about it.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

This IS U2 we're talking about. They take forever.

It's really only been the last two albums, and this is the first time we've seen them record during a tour since ZooTV.

I think a late 2007 release would be too akward for U2. Are they really going to tour that quickly after another ends? Are they going to release an album without tour? When was the last time we saw that?

Who knows...

U2 will release an album in 2006 if they want to. They can. They have enough material and they have done it faster in the past. It just comes down to what they WANT to do.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think a late 2007 release would be too akward for U2. Are they really going to tour that quickly after another ends? Are they going to release an album without tour? When was the last time we saw that?

I don't think late 2007 would be awkward for U2. They essentially have the bulk of 2006 off, then most of 2007 (last couple of months being promotional appearances and whatnot), and a tour in 2008. Do you really think they'd see that as too quick?

Axver said:

I don't think late 2007 would be awkward for U2. They essentially have the bulk of 2006 off, then most of 2007 (last couple of months being promotional appearances and whatnot), and a tour in 2008. Do you really think they'd see that as too quick?

Yeah, I guess I forget there's always sometime between release and beginning or tour(usually). So I guess that would make it a full 2 years between tours.

Damn you for making sense, I was looking for a quick released album.:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

what's the rush to put an album this year? Besides, zooropa have they rushed to finish an album in less than a year. Not that I recall. They have no reason to rush an album.. Other than the holidays I don't see that as a big motivation for a new album (oh and the few dates in the fall to test it out..i doubt it). It would be hella cool if they did what Radiohead did this year, they did a small tour earlier this year and played their new songs at all the shows without an album being released. That is quite a risk/leap for a band to do and I commend them for it.. U2 should take that chance but I don't see it happening..

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one looking at this from a realistic perspective.

Fall 2007, at the EARLIEST is my prediction. I think 2008 is more likely though.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's really only been the last two albums, and this is the first time we've seen them record during a tour since ZooTV.

Who knows...

You're right, but at the same time think of if they released the album before the final leg of this tour. Unless they took the Vertigo tour to insane lengths these new songs would barely be played at all. One leg for an album? Sounds unrealistic.

The most practical release tour-wise would seem to be sometimes in late 2007/2008. I doubt they'd want to release the record in 2008, though.

I think 2007 is most realistic.

If some of the people in here are always this pessimistic in real life, I feel sorry for you.

Back
Top Bottom