New Album in 2007 - atu2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shaun vox said:
dont worry ill experiment on my next post! and make it interesting and relevant yaaa !!

it will be like four guys playing in a room :giggle:

No Shaun. Even better, move to Berlin and start working on EXPERIMENTAL posts. Dream it all up again.:yes:

Well, yesterday, a brasilian fansite came with the news that the band will start to record new songs for an album just after the tour ends.
I doubt it, but I don't find it impossible and it's interesting that it came at the same time of the other news mentioned above...

The most sense would actually be right after the tour. If they do some work before, they can pick right up after the Pacific leg.

We've been expecting them to start recording after the tour, right? Unfortunately, "band to start recording after tour ends" doesn't necessarily give us any idea of when a completed album will come. My fingers are crossed, though!

phillyfan26 said:
The most sense would actually be right after the tour. If they do some work before, they can pick right up after the Pacific leg.

:hmm: Interesting to see this "TBA" bit and the talk of them starting the work on the album right after the tour ends.

So...September with Rubin gets the usual 24 or so songs recorded for a U2 album (I'm assuming they do have more than "demos" if they're going in the studio), and after Hawaii lock themselves up and work on it?

U2girl said:

So...September with Rubin gets the usual 24 or so songs recorded for a U2 album (I'm assuming they do have more than "demos" if they're going in the studio), and after Hawaii lock themselves up and work on it?

That sounds like the plan. :yes: Which means that if nothing deconstructive happens during the sessions, a spring release is plausible.

lets just hope its just a real good chilled new orleans inspired 'simple' bluesy record to end the current theme which then opens the door for a massive rock record a couple years from now. Or a double album.

t8thgr8 said:
lets just hope its just a real good chilled new orleans inspired 'simple' bluesy record to end the current theme

Or we could abandon the current theme now instead of going for a "trilogy" effect. I like ATYCLB and HDTAAB a lot, but I'm ready for a new approach :yes:

U2girl said:

:hmm: Interesting to see this "TBA" bit and the talk of them starting the work on the album right after the tour ends.

U2 wont set themselves up on a specific schedule like that. After what happened with POP the album will be finished when they think its done. Sure, they have rough time tables to work with but they are just that. U2 almost always takes at least a year in the studio. Bomb was suppose to be released originally in 2003 but they didnt like the direction with the producer so they brought in Lillywhite and it took another year. Even if things work out, you are still looking at most likely a 2008 release. Its just a question of whether its spring 2008 or fall 2008 to me.

Bomb was mostly a "fresh start" recording, and there was an interview with Bono that said they had two albums' worth of material. According to that article, he had the idea that they come out with Bomb as it was in 2003 and then work on the other album. So it looks like they have plenty of leftovers to start with.
Lillywhite didn't enter the picture till Feb 2004 and the album was done in July 2004. (though, yes, it wasn't released till November) But the recordings were finished in July.

If U2 is going for a 2008 release, where does this all fit in:

- the "trusted pair of old producers" that hand-picked the best Bomb leftovers in early 2006 as a starting point for the new album
- band recorded in the studio in the summer (beach clips)
- they're going in the studio with Rubin, so it looks as they are beyond "demos"
- rumours about a new album (Rolling stone, the latest "new album TBA" bit)

Last edited:
U2 starts almost every single session with leftovers from prior albums. That is absolutely no indication at all.

I dont know why I respond to these. Again, believe what you want, but all these reports are pure rumor and considering U2 are about to hit the road, thinking a new albums coming real soon is a stretch given their history.

Just a month ago people were saying a single coming this month and a new album by the end of the year. Now its going to be next year for sure?? No one on any of these "fan" websites knows anything more than anyone here does. Its all pure speculation based on little to nothing.

Well, Blue Room is right, because internet rumours almost equal to the truth nowadays, unfortunatelly. However, a single could have been released this fall if the band wanted to. It wouldn't be difficult to pick up an outtake - one of the catchiest songs there- , rework it and release it in association with something else (an OST, Apple commercials, whatever...)

But U2 girl is right when she talks about the HTDAAB schedule. If the band decided that the Chris Thomas sessions were good, the album would surely be out in the fall 2003/early 2004 (as it was so many times said...). It wouldn't certainly have the same quality and the same feeling, but it could've happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if U2 changed marketing strategy and released an album in the first 6 months of 2007 and only make a tour in 2008. It has already happened in 1988/9. We don't really know what are the plans for the future, and this is a strange situation with the band (9 months break in a tour, rumours of a new album sooner after the tour...). This is weird...

Back
Top Bottom