New Album Hype getting interesting.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonAid

The Fly
"I'm over the concept of rebel music but I'm not over the idea of rebellion, especially against yourself, U2 are so lucky as a group it's like we've robbed the bank of Monte Carlo, it's been a bit of a charge and plenty of people have fallen off the wagon train but the important people are still on board, it's not about getting bigger it's about getting it right, but I've a hunch it's going to get even bigger, I think it might be time for a departure with the next album, I think we can make some extraordinary music, get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties, the pot-smoking fans of Sixties psychedelic music are dreaming up the 21st century, he's quoting Keats, that truth is beauty, beauty truth, and there's a place on the Spanish steppes where"

find the rest in great brand new article at:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1667368,00.html

fantastic larry quote!

"Sometimes I really wish he would do something that we could punch a big hole into. I'd really enjoy that - to go up to him and say, you fucker. Sometimes, it's just so constant, the meetings, the speaking, the mouth, but in the end even I have to say he's doing a great job, and he's getting things done. Look, if it was possible to have a really good kick at what he does, as a band we would have done it before anyone else. During the recording of our album, he'll be away on a venture, and it's like, great, peace. He gets impatient in the studio, and we tell him to fuck off, go and meet George Bush. And he does! Maybe it's our fault! And then he comes back and he's been working on a lyric and he's fresh and really into it. So it does work out."

:wink:

They will have completed 110 shows this year, with 25 to come next year in South America, Japan and Australia, before a final show in Honolulu in April, when they finally come down to earth, or completely tumble off the planet.

hello Hawaii :wave:

LemonAid said:
"I'm over the concept of rebel music but I'm not over the idea of rebellion, especially against yourself, U2 are so lucky as a group it's like we've robbed the bank of Monte Carlo, it's been a bit of a charge and plenty of people have fallen off the wagon train but the important people are still on board, it's not about getting bigger it's about getting it right, but I've a hunch it's going to get even bigger, I think it might be time for a departure with the next album, I think we can make some extraordinary music, get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties, the pot-smoking fans of Sixties psychedelic music are dreaming up the 21st century, he's quoting Keats, that truth is beauty, beauty truth, and there's a place on the Spanish steppes where"

God I hope this isn't just more bullshit :drool:

Re: Re: New Album Hype getting interesting.....

Lemonfix said:

God I hope this isn't just more bullshit :drool:

I was just about to go to bed, when I saw this. I really hope this isn't a load of BS either. :drool:

"I think we can make some extraordinary music, get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties."

Come on U2, I know you have it in you!

Mercy and Fast cars may be a hint they will step away from the more traditional songs on ATYCLB and Bomb.

Personally, I could also go for a more direct rock sound like Vertigo and All because of you.

I'm with ya U2girl. Do you all remember when rumors were going around of Atomic sounding like a mix between Achtung and War? I'd love to hear what that would actually sound like. Hard hitting music with spirituality to it, but a hint of darkness like Achtung Baby.

Now that I think about it...Love and Peace does have touches of both War and Achtung Baby.

LemonAid said:

even that description is poetic :drool:

That whole article was rather brilliant.

'It should be OK, for God's sake! But, you never know, it might be time for the naked face. It might be coming. The naked stare.'

:hmm: does this mean bono will finally ditch the shades? :wink:

maybe they're getting ready to go away and "dream it all up again..."

fast forward a few years......the sound of 4 men dismantling an atomic bomb....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i whipe my ass with mercy
Hahaha! That's the funniest thing i've read today having skipped half the thread and suddenly seeing it!

You know, there is a post over in EYKIW about why people hate Bono, and I think the last couple of sentences are EXACTLY why people hate Bono. Can you imagine Mr Average reading that? He's gonna think BONO is up his own ARSE.

But, onto the album Bono has said all this before (Punk rock from venus? - I haven't been to venus or mars or whatever it was, but im pretty sure the rock bands there don't play One Step Closer).

The best line in there for me is "the otherness we had in the 90s" which seems like a rare statement that 90s U2 made some great music.

Mercy + Lemon = New Album (lol)

Achtung Baby + War = :drool:

That said, I find U2 much more fascinating the darker it gets, and I do think they could benefit from another "reinvention" -- letting Edge and Larry loose... :drool: :drool:

There is so much of me that is doubting a new album ANY time in the near future, yet still so much of me that yearns for it.

thelaj said:

But, onto the album Bono has said all this before (Punk rock from venus? - I haven't been to venus or mars or whatever it was, but im pretty sure the rock bands there don't play One Step Closer).

Well, if men are from Mars and women are from Venus.....:wink:

actually, Bono's a smart guy...that might be what he meant afterall....

Well, if that's what Bono meant, I want punk rock from Saturn. :grumpy: Killer punk guitar riffs mixed with psytrance. That would be effing beautiful.

All this quote says to me is that even Bono himself has no idea what direction the new album will take.

"I think it might be time for a departure with the next album..."

Sounds like it is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off.

MERCY is nothing special at all...the version i listened to is lame and boring stuff, pretty much the same shit like their last 2 albums.
please bring back the bravery & the rock & a bit of experiments. another boring album and they are on the same level as bon jovi and brian adams.

jacobus said:
MERCY is nothing special at all...the version i listened to is lame and boring stuff, pretty much the same shit like their last 2 albums.
please bring back the bravery & the rock & a bit of experiments. another boring album and they are on the same level as bon jovi and brian adams.
what about the people like the sound of the last 2 albums, and wouldnt class it as them being like bon jovi or brian adams?

KUEFC09U wrote: what about the people like the sound of the last 2 albums, and wouldnt class it as them being like bon jovi or brian adams?
good on them! but i don't like their last 2 albums...thats the way it is. for me it is trivial stuff like i rate bon jovi & brian adams. nothing relevant at all like e.g. AB or TUF or JOSHUA TREE. U2 nowadays are lame ducks. just boring. i hope they could turn around once more and bring back the good rock music, the experiments and the exceptional lyrics.
thats just my opinion.

jacobus said:
good on them! but i don't like their last 2 albums...thats the way it is. for me it is trivial stuff like i rate bon jovi & brian adams. nothing relevant at all like e.g. AB or TUF or JOSHUA TREE. U2 nowadays are lame ducks. just boring. i hope they could turn around once more and bring back the good rock music, the experiments and the exceptional lyrics.
thats just my opinion.
but why should they decide to drop the sound they have now? just because some people dont like it? what about when AB came out and they lost alot of fans who didnt like the so called experimentation? they didnt turn round and say "oh lets change it back to the 80's sound" they then went on to release 2 more albums in the same vein

Back
Top Bottom