New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PO1 is indeed a really cool title, if true. It reminds me of an old tv show titled "Project Blue Book" which, if i remember correctly, was about the US air force investigating possible UFO sightings.

Given the "outer space" nature of the 360 tour, with the spaceship themed stage design, this is pretty cool.

I hope one of the songs is a cover of The Carpenters' "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"!

I don't think the P01 title is anything more than a codename. The article is still mentioning the album as 'Songs of Ascent' as well, so i don't think anyone really knows what the title really is.
Anyway, 'Project 01' sounds way too much like a generic working title, the name assigned to the first album coming this year.
For the record, i think it would be an awesome title, and a nice clean break from the acronym-laden title's of the 2000's... but i just don't think that's the case.
Either way, the title is really emphasising that it's the first of several... which kind of guarantees more than one album this year!!!!!! :hyper:

is there such a thing as a "safe" song?

I would say so - something designed to appeal and not flop, usually at the expense of creative and artistic quality.
Boots is a good example - crafted to replicate the success of vertigo. I'm glad it failed, it means they won't try something that contrived again.
Hopefully what they mean by 'u2-ish' and safe is that the songs focus on being good rather than gimmicky or ripping off something else. :up:

I've moaned and groaned at the prospect of "safe mode" in the past, but I'm at the point right now where my line of thinking is more along the lines of "damn, I just want to love the songs."

whether that's U2 sounding like U2, or U2 doing something a little wonky, it means fuck-all to me if I don't like the songs.

(More or less. Opinion subject to change. :wink: )

is there such a thing as a "safe" song?

some people consider ATYCLB & HTDAAB to be chock full of "safe" songs. Yet at the 360 shows, songs like BD, COBL, V, & E were crowd pleasers and highlights. While the "new" songs from NLOTH might have been excuse for some to go and grab a beer or take a piss/dump.

If u2 clearly wants to be "kings of radio", or whatever, then look for more of the same. As much as i despise general radio, i do love BD, COBL, and V & E i suppose.

I hope this new album, as of right now P01, is not another ATYCLB, Bomb, or NLOTH. We need something fresh, new, exciting! NLOTH was refreshing but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not saying they have to make AB pt 2 but go outside the box. I feel like they've drawn lines and are afraid to cross them. But as long as there is good music I'm not complaining.

As for this news, very exciting to see some news. It's almost as if we've been out at sea for days and are getting our first sight of land!:lol: The title is interesting. Anyone think we'll be getting something about a release soon?

some people consider ATYCLB & HTDAAB to be chock full of "safe" songs. Yet at the 360 shows, songs like BD, COBL, V, & E were crowd pleasers and highlights. While the "new" songs from NLOTH might have been excuse for some to go and grab a beer or take a piss/dum

so yes, there are plenty of safe songs in the recent u2 discography.

You're all making really good points... i used to always want u2 to be experimental more than anything else. But that means nothing if the songs aren't good.
As long as P01 is good, i won't care if it's not crazy-assed experimental. Fingers crossed it just doesn't sound contrived and lame either... although i doubt that would happen with DM :up:

I hope this new album, as of right now P01, is not another ATYCLB, Bomb, or NLOTH. We need something fresh, new, exciting! NLOTH was refreshing but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not saying they have to make AB pt 2 but go outside the box. I feel like they've drawn lines and are afraid to cross them. But as long as there is good music I'm not complaining.

As for this news, very exciting to see some news. It's almost as if we've been out at sea for days and are getting our first sight of land!:lol: The title is interesting. Anyone think we'll be getting something about a release soon?

Within the next couple of weeks, 1 or 2 major magazines will have previews of the album, with discussions on what the songs are like, and what it was like to work with Danger Mouse, as well as revealing the album title and release date.

Oh, and that's all 100% speculation from me. But you know you want it to be true :wink:
It actually might be! Maybe more like 4 weeks though...

Remember a lot of the band have residences there, finish up work there, play their new songs really loudly by beaches there :hmm:
If anyone is getting sneaky previews of this album, it would be the french.

Oh, so those Frenchies think they can just steal Bono, Edge, Larry, and Adam's intellectual property now, do they? No respect at all for God's own capitalism...

Within the next couple of weeks, 1 or 2 major magazines will have previews of the album, with discussions on what the songs are like, and what it was like to work with Danger Mouse, as well as revealing the album title and release date.

Oh, and that's all 100% speculation from me. But you know you want it to be true :wink:
It actually might be! Maybe more like 4 weeks though...

:lol: At first I was like "how does this guy know for sure!?"... then I read further. :grumpy: I hope you're right! At least if there is something within the next 4 weeks. Oh I am so hyper now!:hyper:

(How much would it suck to get all hyper about this album and then they don't release it?)

Haha i feel the same way... so excited at even the briefest glimpse of what u2 have in store for us...
... and just leaving myself completely open for the inevitable "we've hit a rich song-writing vein, so we're gonna release it in 2013". :crack:
Nah, don't worry, that really will not happen :wave:

I just realised this news indicates that the new album will be a 'safe' one.
Not necessarily. The article does mention that they're "keeping innovation in mind" and "exploring a new realm of rock". I'm guessing that it'll sound like the best elements of the '00s crossed with the best elements of the '90s: not quite as crazily experimental as, say, Zooropa, but certainly not another HUTDAB.

EDIT: I know they're not putting many "360 songs" on P01, but I think Return Of The Stingray Guitar needs to make an appearance. It's fun, it's quirky, and it flat-out rocks - three attributes they seem to be shooting for with this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puanAlSleqI

If they're not putting the 360-debuted new songs on P01, then what are they going to do with them? :scratch: I can't see songs like NS or EBW on a club album. And why would they wait until the tour's over, especially if they're really "wrapping it up" as we've heard? That makes no sense. I don't believe this French news; maybe it's a prank. Is it Le Fool's Day?

Can I register that P01, or PZO or Project Zero One is the greatest album title ever, and must be used. I am fully prepared to wait until late 11, instead of May 11 if it is to be called Project Zero One.

Apart from the title, the best piece of news in there is that it mentions the project being virtually completed, BEFORE they came to Aus/NZ.

Not necessarily. The article does mention that they're "keeping innovation in mind" and "exploring a new realm of rock". I'm guessing that it'll sound like the best elements of the '00s crossed with the best elements of the '90s: not quite as crazily experimental as, say, Zooropa, but certainly not another HUTDAB.

EDIT: I know they're not putting many "360 songs" on P01, but I think Return Of The Stingray Guitar needs to make an appearance. It's fun, it's quirky, and it flat-out rocks - three attributes they seem to be shooting for with this album.
YouTube - U2 Frankfurt 2010-08-10 Return Of The Stingray Guitar - u2gigs.com

Exactly!:up:

And I hate to see people rush to judgement when U2 says they want to be kings of radio.

They just assume that we will be getting another HTDAAB. Or ATYCLB.

Well, War, TUF, JT, R&H and AB were all on the radio and very popular with no lack of innovation/artistic quality in most people's minds.

Like Cori and Jaimetheedgefan and others have said, I just want the songs to be good.

I could care less if they are experimental, U2 by numbers or as is most likely, somewhere in between.

U2 sounding like U2 is not a bad thing.

If it was, we'd all be on a different forum.

Also, relevant to what Rachel D said about the 360 debuted songs, the full band North Star rehearsal as well as some of the versions made by fans and put out on Youtube, I think, show very well that this song has a good chance of being a major, major hit. I don't see them putting all the 360 debuted songs on there, but if NS or EBW or something else is sounding really good and like it will grab a lot of people, I don't see what would hold them back.

everything in the French language is opposite or reverse of English, so late 2011 actually means early 2011 in English.

Babelfish would have made that correction.

If it's the opposite wouldn't it mean it came out in 1102? In which case, damn are we late!

It was really ahead of its time, musically. Hildegard von Bingen ain't got nothin' on these guys.

If it's the opposite wouldn't it mean it came out in 1102? In which case, damn are we late!

It was really ahead of its time, musically. Hildegard von Bingen ain't got nothin' on these guys.
I know, right? I've gotta say, 2U has always been my favorite band, though All That You Left Behind and How To Activate A Nuclear Missile were a bit too experimental for my tastes.

Nirvana thanks for pointing that out, that makes me even more excited :hyper:

Rachel, if the songs that were debuted on the tour don't make it on to an album, then i assume that 1) these songs were out takes, and were only used to keep the tour fresh and as a condolence for delayed dates, and 2) u2 never had any intention of actually having album-previews via live shows... which is fair enough, they probably thought it would hurt sales.

However, i think it's likely EBW and NS will be on P01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom