New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Cohl, the lead producer of the $65 million “Spider-Man,” the most expensive musical in Broadway history, said the creators were still working on a splashy ending, including a major new flying sequence that was tested on Friday for state safety inspectors. He said the show’s composers, Bono and the Edge, of the band U2, were reworking music and lyrics. (Bono, however, has left New York; his return date is unclear.) And Mr. Cohl disputed the accusation that the opening-night delay — the fifth — was a tactic to gin up more publicity and sell more tickets. Despite bad press, “Spider-Man” was last week’s highest-grossing Broadway show.

From Spiderman news on EYKIW

I'm sure Bono might have umpteen reasons for leaving New York.

Visiting family.

A break from flying Spidermen.

A meeting with some big hoo-ha about one of his non-musical projects.

He heard the REM song "Leaving New York" and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Sure, maybe something U2 and/or album related, but let's not make assumptions just because he left the city.

I'm sure Bono might have umpteen reasons for leaving New York.

Visiting family.

A break from flying Spidermen.

A meeting with some big hoo-ha about one of his non-musical projects.

He heard the REM song "Leaving New York" and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Sure, maybe something U2 and/or album related, but let's not make assumptions just because he left the city.

Ok let's disect that....
Family... has a home in NYC as well....
Break from Spidey...wasn't he quoted as saying as long as they will have us, we will stay.(or leave Edge and Lillywhite)
Big Hoo-ha...got me there as that's always a possibility.
REM...Too easy
Bono's penchant for revision and last minute lyric and vocal work...well documented since 1982's October.. and the rather open ended quote of return to NYC being unclear...Now let's search to see what company Dangermouse,Steve Averill, Anton....etc are keeping and if Bono is near who knows....

jump-to-conclusions.jpg

Well I'm gonna be the pessimist (like always) and guess that we won't get an album until late this year. Reading the Danger Mouse comments gives me hope, but this is U2 and my gut tells me it'll be delayed. I mean... it's U2.

I'll ask again, what would be the point in releasing an album late this year? It's either May, or years from now. I don't see U2 releasing an album(unless they go with the original idea of SOA) that they can't tour.

I'll ask again, what would be the point in releasing an album late this year? It's either May, or years from now. I don't see U2 releasing an album(unless they go with the original idea of SOA) that they can't tour.

Exactly! They have a perfect opportunity to release an album just before the NA leg, why waste it? It just doesn't make any sense to release an album later after the tour. I see it as similar to Zooropa. We're about two years out from NLOTH's release and Zooropa was out around two years after AB's release. I think we'll have an album either early this year or later some other year.

Read on a french forum

http://www.u2achtung.com/04/forum/i...ent/page__pid__1987344__st__1160#entry1987344

Special feature "U2 new album 2011"
Name (s) possible (s): "Song of Ascent", "Project Zero One"
In production since: Late 2009
Release Date: Late 2011
---
The story of the next U2 album Rock begins shortly after the release of No Line on the Horizon (2009) with speculation in connection with an interview with lead singer Bono who said "A new album soon, called Song of Ascent, an album of ambient music and quiet as a direct result of the sessions No Line on the horizon. " On the web, the story with an album with ambiant music had rattled a few thousand users & this would be a dangerous choice, especially after the rather low sales of the last album. However, it seems that the group changed his mind in early 2010. Bono says repeatedly "No line was too experimental ... we fell in a rock that we've always tried to escape," "The next album will be the best or the worst ..." "We intend to return as king of radio "Indeed, U2 seems to return to its origins but keeping the idea of innovation in mind. Adam Clayton (bassist) told us that the next album will explore a new realm of rock'n'roll. What you should also know to be in this story album, U2 is currently preparing several album projects with multiple parallel production. Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group. Some journalists seem to have had the privilege to hear some unreleased songs from the most immediate album to come "Project Zero One" or "Song of Ascent" and stated that the songs are in the sound of u2 and sound pretty good, so no critical changing and good insurance. Since then, the group seems to have continued production projects in Australia, then in their studio following the tour. Although U2 unveils some new songs during this tour (360 Tower), it seems that most of these tracks will not be included in the next album to be released "Project Zero One." To be continued ...

Good find!
'Project Zero One' would be a cool title, but i have a feeling this is just an album number assigned to the Danger Mouse work, giving it 'top priority', rather than an actual album name. I really believe they're keeping this DM work really under wraps - hell, they hid him all summer!
It's interesting to see DM the songs are apparently u2-ish, very relieved to hear they sound good :D

About the several projects listed... is this article actually giving us new information, or recycling? Because if it's the former ("finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group"), then we might have a whole new album in addition to the DM and club one... if not, i assume it's just taken the info everyone has about Rubin, SoA, Spiderman etc and lumped it all together into another rumoured 'project'.

Read on a french forum

http://www.u2achtung.com/04/forum/i...ent/page__pid__1987344__st__1160#entry1987344

Special feature "U2 new album 2011"
Name (s) possible (s): "Song of Ascent", "Project Zero One"
In production since: Late 2009
Release Date: Late 2011
---
The story of the next U2 album Rock begins shortly after the release of No Line on the Horizon (2009) with speculation in connection with an interview with lead singer Bono who said "A new album soon, called Song of Ascent, an album of ambient music and quiet as a direct result of the sessions No Line on the horizon. " On the web, the story with an album with ambiant music had rattled a few thousand users & this would be a dangerous choice, especially after the rather low sales of the last album. However, it seems that the group changed his mind in early 2010. Bono says repeatedly "No line was too experimental ... we fell in a rock that we've always tried to escape," "The next album will be the best or the worst ..." "We intend to return as king of radio "Indeed, U2 seems to return to its origins but keeping the idea of innovation in mind. Adam Clayton (bassist) told us that the next album will explore a new realm of rock'n'roll. What you should also know to be in this story album, U2 is currently preparing several album projects with multiple parallel production. Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group. Some journalists seem to have had the privilege to hear some unreleased songs from the most immediate album to come "Project Zero One" or "Song of Ascent" and stated that the songs are in the sound of u2 and sound pretty good, so no critical changing and good insurance. Since then, the group seems to have continued production projects in Australia, then in their studio following the tour. Although U2 unveils some new songs during this tour (360 Tower), it seems that most of these tracks will not be included in the next album to be released "Project Zero One." To be continued ...
HOORAY FOR ACTUAL NEWS

With that out of the way, "Project 01" would actually be an awesome title: it's unusual, fresh, and it certainly grabs attention. Also, not entirely surprising to hear that most of the new songs won't be on P01 (SUCH A COOL ACRONYM), but I do hope that EBW makes the tracklist.

I'm so happy that we can finally refer to this as something other than "the Danger Mouse album." :hyper::hyper::hyper:

"late 2011"?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!

"Project Zero One" - i love that! made me think of the line in the original version of Mercy...

Yeah, i'm still trusting Paul McGuiness about the release date over some french article.
May is just too much of an opportunity.

So what actual new news can we glean from this?
Codename: Project Zero One
Songs: Unconnected to the tour debuted ones, sound very u2-ish, and good.

Is the stuff about the other projects new news though? Do we know for a fact now that the Will.i.am/club album is still a separate project, and that there is yet another album project underway? Or is that part of the report just recycled info? I ask because i'm still waiting for the day we get a preview of P01 and Bono explains that will.i.am's stuff was merged with DM :p

Yeah, I'm skeptical of late 2011, as May just makes more sense. But hey, if it's late 2011, I'll still take it.

And maybe late 2011 means "new album before the as-yet-unannounced European dates in fall"???? :wink:

Not ready to take this as "actual news" yet.

Heh, at least it's something, and will probably keep us somewhat sane for the next few hours.

I just realised this news indicates that the new album will be a 'safe' one.
Oh well, i suppose it's to be expected, and safe isn't necessarily bad.
But i was expecting something new, considering Adam said the DM project would break new ground. Then again, he also said they'd debut a bunch of tunes on the australian leg of the tour... maybe he's just as 'trustworthy' as bono :reject: :D

P01 is indeed a really cool title, if true. It reminds me of an old tv show titled "Project Blue Book" which, if i remember correctly, was about the US air force investigating possible UFO sightings.

Given the "outer space" nature of the 360 tour, with the spaceship themed stage design, this is pretty cool.

The only thing i doubt about this would be the timeframe of "late 2011", which doesnt make a lot of sense to me and probably many here as well. I would agree that a May/June release would be more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom