New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, at this point, it's not a question of if they're going to release a new album in 2011, it's a question of when. From all indications, the Danger Mouse material seems to be pretty far along, and they'd have to be nuts to not take advantage of the recent hype.

My guess: SoA or whatever the hell it's called will be out by mid-May at the very latest.

Kinda got a kick out of this old thread.

Hey Headache, what level would you say we are at, now?

:sigh: i miss the office of u2 security.

perhaps i should start it up again :hmm:

some schmuck actually purchased the domain u2security.com when i let it expire and has links to random u2 searches and shit on it. very upsetting. according to whois it expires in june.

they want me to pay 69 bucks to "backorder" it. fuck that.

Really, at this point, it's not a question of if they're going to release a new album in 2011, it's a question of when. From all indications, the Danger Mouse material seems to be pretty far along, and they'd have to be nuts to not take advantage of the recent hype.

My guess: SoA or whatever the hell it's called will be out by mid-May at the very latest.

It's going to come out in time for the North American tour. There's really no question about it.

i actually think it's very much in doubt that the album will be out before the NA tour at this point.

I agree. It's too quiet. Nothing is being said.

They had that one interview in before the Aussie tour, and then it's like the camp shut down.

I know U2 try hard to downplay release dates for fear of missing them, but seriously, four months before our speculation release date and there's nothing.

Before with NLOTH we had snippets stating the band was in the studio (london) finishing the album.

We've been told nearly two months ago by PM that the album is just being touched up. I do tend to believe PM more than anyone else....but there's been nothing else.

Usually one of U2's friends will sneak some news out.

i actually think it's very much in doubt that the album will be out before the NA tour at this point.

I can't share the optimism anyway that there will be an album at all. I hope I'm wrong.

If there's an album to be released before May, we'd surely heard something about it by now. It'd be stupid, to say the least, to release a new album AFTER they tour their biggest market and then possibly end the tour (if the Europe rumors don't turn out to be right).

I'm sure they wanted to get the album out but of course, it looks like getting the spiderman flop off the ground is Bono and Edge's priority. It best it looks like a forgettable piece of pop culture...at worst, it's draining them of their creative energy...

I still think May is possible. I think that the band may try to be a little less over the top with promotion this time. I also feel that in the internet age, things go so fast that we don't need the big lead times, and I feel that singles and albums are coming out closer together.

To me, if I hear a song in my car on the radio, and I get home, go to iTunes, and the album doesn't come out for six weeks/2 months...I usually lose some enthusiasm. I may buy the song, but I might not go back later for the album.

I'm sure they wanted to get the album out but of course, it looks like getting the spiderman flop off the ground is Bono and Edge's priority.

Well by most counts Bono and Edge's part is done for right now. The last nugget of info was that DM was "wrapping up" the project. So if this is true, the only part left is mastering and artwork.

Yeah I thought there was a photographer that was working with the band and his site had B & W mixed with colour in his website photos, unless that was proven wrong sometime ago.

Oh yeah, it came from a photographer's tweet. Said something about shooting U2 in Austrailia. But then someone pointed out that it was the same photographer that did shots for the Rose Bowl DVD, so who knows if it was more live shots(which I don't know why they would need anymore) or if it was something else.

Time will tell...

The first South Africa gig is one month from today. I'm going to start the rumor that the band will be making a huge album announcement at that concert.

The first South Africa gig is one month from today. I'm going to start the rumor that the band will be making a huge album announcement at that concert.
You know, that actually wouldn't be such a bad idea...perhaps, after ISHFWILF, Bono could say something like "This next song is from our new album, which is coming out on [insert date here]." Cue crowd going ballistic.

Shame this'll never happen, and they'll just be boring and announce it with a press release. :sigh:

They already returned to relevance with NLOTH.

I'm more afraid they will loose their identity as rock band. If I hear these talks about Danger Mouse and will.i.am

An example of what happens when someone tries to hard to search a new sound:

Sounds like 1997

^^^I have never heard of that Chris Cornell song....:|

Here is what will happen:

-The South Africa shows will be more of follow up to the Australia shows, the general setlist.

-U2 will then head over to Dublin/France to finish up the new album with an announcement that a new album is coming May 3rd or 10th.

-U2 will then play South America shows debuting 3-4 new songs. This would put U2 in the unique position of starting a new leg and a new album coming out.

-One of the new songs will be the big single (BD, Vertigo type single the band wants) which will begin getting net play/airplay/youtube play/live play during March & April.

-By the time U2 hits America, May 11th in (Mexico/Denver) their new album will just be released and everyone will know the big single. Thus giving U2 the excitement and momentum for their summer leg.

:up:

You know, that actually wouldn't be such a bad idea...perhaps, after ISHFWILF, Bono could say something like "This next song is from our new album, which is coming out on [insert date here]." Cue crowd going ballistic.

The setlist party peeps would :combust:

^^^I have never heard of that Chris Cornell song....:|

Here is what will happen:

-The South Africa shows will be more of follow up to the Australia shows, the general setlist.

-U2 will then head over to Dublin/France to finish up the new album with an announcement that a new album is coming May 3rd or 10th.

-U2 will then play South America shows debuting 3-4 new songs. This would put U2 in the unique position of starting a new leg and a new album coming out.

-One of the new songs will be the big single (BD, Vertigo type single the band wants) which will begin getting net play/airplay/youtube play/live play during March & April.

-By the time U2 hits America, May 11th in (Mexico/Denver) their new album will just be released and everyone will know the big single. Thus giving U2 the excitement and momentum for their summer leg.

:up:

Exactly:up:

Official announcement will be mid February.

It would be one thing to push the panic button if we'd gone past the NLOTH timeline for the announcement without a peep, but we're not even close to that.

:yes: And I would not be surprised if they're a little more low key on the promotion side this time.

The only promotion they need is a SMART first single. Something people want to hear. Not "look how clever and subversive we are..wink wink" - I hope they realize now that will backfire. Get an amazing first single and they won't have to do 5 nights on Leno or whatever.

That's too late to work on the album. The music needs to be done... now. The mastering, artwork and promotional prep is what'll fill the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom