New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:12 PM
New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?)

What we think we know:

- U2 may be announcing their album as a commercial during the Super Bowl.
- Recent rumors suggest that the new album will be released in April.
- Possible lead single is titled "Invisible."

That previous thread was a fun read!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikwala View Post
What we think we know:

- U2 may be announcing their album as a commercial during the Bowl that is SUPER!!!.
- Recent rumors suggest that the new album will be released in February March April "Spring".
-U2 will tour with Bon Jovi
-Led Zeppelin will open
Corrected.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
February March April "Spring"
The album is drifting further and further away from us...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Thanks to the previous thread, I've started delving into Rush's catalog in a way I never have previously! Good stuff, but I'm not so much into the prog material, even if it is very well done.

As far as U2, I feel like now that I have the Superbowl to hold on to as a date where something is going to happen, I've sort of put it in the back of my mind. (I know, it's very possible the super bowl rumor is false).
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

As someone who's seen Bon Jovi in Europe, his status as a punch line in North America does not quite translate. People were nuts for him, and seemed to take him seriously.

I was, however, impressed with his showmanship. The man can command 60,000 Belgians on a muddy field in Flanders.
In that case they really could have used him at Passchendaele.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:12 AM
He's not as popular, but he is!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Galeonbroad

For the sake of it, Hollow Island, I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.
As has been shown on the last pages of the last thread, they really are not that big anywhere except for the America's. As I stated in my post, I said America, not North-America, specifically for that reason. I know they're quite popular in South America as well. But in Europe? I don't know any fans, don't ever hear them on the radio/see them on music television(no, not MTV of course), or see merch in the record stores. They all have stuff of GnR, Bon Jovi, Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles and even some 80s U2 stuff like the War and JT mugs.

Now I didn't know Bon JOvi had a new album out either. Better take a look and see if it's worth anything.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I know they're quite popular in South America as well.
I'm from Uruguay and I can say nobody knows anything about Rush.
They're not popular at all.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikwala View Post
The album is drifting further and further away from us...
The first single will come out very early in spring.

The new album will come out very early in spring.

If you can figure out what I mean, you get a prize.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
For the sake of it, Hollow Island, I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.
As has been shown on the last pages of the last thread, they really are not that big anywhere except for the America's. As I stated in my post, I said America, not North-America, specifically for that reason. I know they're quite popular in South America as well. But in Europe? I don't know any fans, don't ever hear them on the radio/see them on music television(no, not MTV of course), or see merch in the record stores. They all have stuff of GnR, Bon Jovi, Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles and even some 80s U2 stuff like the War and JT mugs.

Now I didn't know Bon JOvi had a new album out either. Better take a look and see if it's worth anything.

You mean outside of North America - the rest of the world actually matters?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
I wasn't going to mention Rush at all, but since it's been brought up...this will all come as quite a surprise to Rush and their fans in The Netherlands, where their last record reached #11 on the charts. Not to mention all the people who saw them in concert in Rotterdam (and the other dozen or so stops they did in Europe on their last tour). Not to mention that fact that they are apparently so unknown in The Netherlands that they chose the two nights they did in Rotterdam to record the Blu Ray for their Snakes & Arrows tour.

No one is suggesting the Rush is anywhere near as big as U2. They aren't. And they are nothing alike musically, and they are not in "competition". I like Rush, but I like U2 more. It's possibly to like both bands. And yeah, they don't sell out every date. But blanket statements about how they are "only big in America" based on personal anecdotes are kind of silly.

Check out all the empty seats!!!:

Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Not a slight on smaller countries but honestly? Name me one band from Uruguay that has achieved a quarter of what Rush has.

Look, some people in some small/Euro countries may have not heard of Rush, but here's a fact (according to the Wiki article): The are 3rd - THIRD - behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones with most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. In the world. They didn't get there off the backs of their Canadian record sales lol!

And that's not even to speak of their footprint amongst musicians. You'd be hard pressed to find a drummer in any country who hasn't heard of Neil Peart.

Like honestly, saying they are the biggest rock band in the world and that they are "U2-popular" is clearly ridiculous. But the repetitive "Ive never heard of them in my small country" posts are getting just as ridiculous, because all that really just means is that your country isn't exactly up on one of the legendary rock bands of our time..that doesn't reduce that status one little bit.

Can we put this Rush foolishness to bed once and for all? That includes the incessant regurgitation of the meme, also.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Not a slight on European countries but honestly? Name me one band from Uruguay that has achieved a quarter of what Rush has.

Look, some people in some small Euro countries may have not heard of Rush, but here's a fact (according to the Wiki article): The are 3rd - THIRD - behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones with most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. In the world. They didn't get there off the backs of their Canadian rock sales lol!

And that's not even to speak of their footprint amongst musicians. You'd be hard pressed to find a drummer in any country who hasn't heard of Neil Peart.

Like honestly, saying they are the biggest rock band in the world and that they are "U2-popular" is clearly ridiculous. But the repetitive "Ive never heard of them in my small country" posts are getting just as ridiculous, because that really just means that your country isn't exactly up on one of the legendary rock bands of our time..that doesn't reduce that status one little bit.

Can we put this Rush foolishness to bed once and for all? That includes the incessant regurgitation of the meme, also.
I've lived in Buenos Aires (one year), Sao Paulo (2 years) and México DF (3 years), and nobody (never-ever) mention Rush, NEVER.

I'm not comparing them with any other band, but they're not popular at all, maybe they have a devoted fanbase, but outside that (mini) world nobody knows they exist.

About an uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Ghost of Love

Quote:
I've lived in Buenos Aires (one year), Sao Paulo (2 years) and México DF (3 years), and nobody (never-ever) mention Rush, NEVER.

I'm not comparing them with any other band, but they're not popular at all, maybe they have a devoted fanbase, but outside that (mini) world nobody knows they exist.

About an uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.

Some of Rush's biggest recent concerts were in those very cities. They even filmed them for commercial DVD release (and they're great shows). The Mexican and Brazilian audiences are amazing and take the show to another level..in many shots of the audience you can see people singing along to every word. I guess they were all cloned fans from Canada flown in specially for the night

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

About a uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.
Rush chose Brasil to record another of their tours, and released it as the "Rush in Rio" Blu Ray, where they played to 40,000. Not to mention the 60,000 they played to in São Paulo (since you mentioned it) that tour.

Not bad for a band that's "not popular at all" in South America.

And you know they're in the Rock & Roll hall of fame now, right? Pretty good for a provincial Canadian band with a tiny fan base.

Tags
new album