New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should he know what others don't know?

I'm really suspicious about all these rumors flying around, no matter if they come from journalists or other people.

However, I hope it's true, March would be great and it would also mean that we'll get a single in a couple of weeks. The Superbowl announcement would make sense and the promotion machinery would start in February.

I'm really suspicious about all these rumors flying around, no matter if they come from journalists or other people.

However, I hope it's true, March would be great and it would also mean that we'll get a single in a couple of weeks. The Superbowl announcement would make sense and the promotion machinery would start in February.

He's a respected music journalist, and this is hardly breaking news. And he's not alone in reporting this. Doing a cursory Google search shows there are dozens of articles from legit news sources talking about a new record in March/April/Spring, dating back months. Admittedly he is the first guy AFAIK to mention a specific date, but I'm not sure that's anything to be "suspicious" about. All these guys could be wrong of course, in that U2's plans could change, but I have no reason think at this moment they are inaccurate. They're just reporting what they're hearing.

He's a respected music journalist, and this is hardly breaking news. He's hardly alone in reporting this. Doing a cursory Google search shows there are dozens of articles from legit news sources talking about a new record in March/April/Spring, dating back months. I'm not sure what there is to be "suspicious" about. All these reports could be wrong, and U2's plans could change, but I have no reason think these reports are inaccurate. Though admittedly he is the first guy to mention a specific date AFAIK.

I think that's where the suspicion was coming from...the fact that an actual date was given, not just "Spring".

March 31st makes sense if the band is announcing the new album (hopefully making the 1st single available for download right after) during a Super Bowl commercial.

I think that's where the suspicion was coming from...the fact that an actual date was given, not just "Spring".

March 31st makes sense if the band is announcing the new album (hopefully making the 1st single available for download right after) during a Super Bowl commercial.

And it explains the conflicting reports from band associates about whether it'd be March or April - because it'd be both. March in Europe, April in North America.

Yeah. I was thinking about this Super Bowl thing...if they are going to have a commercial then, it would almost certainly have to contain music from the new record...and at least a single would have to be available immediately. You can't hype it up and then not give people anything. At this point though I can't even remember where the Super Bowl rumour started.

Anyway, if all that's true, then we could be 46 days away from the first single. Kind of feels right...but who knows.

And it explains the conflicting reports from band associates about whether it'd be March or April - because it'd be both. March in Europe, April in North America.

Ha! Good point. Though if we do get the first single anytime before 20 March (and the Super Bowl is 2 February) that would be Winter, not Spring. And if the record does come out on March 31 and/or April 1, the single would certainly land before 20 March.

I'm suspicious of your suspicions. :hmm:

:wink:

All this could happen and the first single would still not come until "spring"..

ffs someone solve the riddle! Lol

Well, if that's the case, and if the record comes out in late March/early April, the single will certainly land long before the start of Spring...March 20 (at least by astronomical reckoning). And it coming out around Feb 2 @ w/the Super Bowl would seem to put the timing roughly in line with what happened w/Boots and NLOTH.

This is all assuming, of course, that the late March/early April reports are correct, but that seems to be the way the stars are aligning. Either way, a new U2 single would be most, most welcome this winter (as long as the single isn't Winter). Early February would be beautiful. So close.

Well spring is from March 20 to June 20,so guess the dates for both the radio debut of the lead single and the album release.

Frankly,i would found the radio debut of the song in late March very late.

If the Super Bowl rumor is true, the single HAS to come out within a week or so after. Otherwise, there's absolutely no point in doing the ad. Not in this day and age.

So yeah, about a month and a half. :drool:

If the Super Bowl rumor is true, the single HAS to come out within a week or so after. Otherwise, there's absolutely no point in doing the ad. Not in this day and age.

Agreed. You can't have an ad hyping people up and then have them go online to look and find...nothing. That would be a pretty epic PR fail. I could see that ad ending with something like "Listen for free on U2.com or Download on iTunes Now" or at least within a few days.

Then again, probably better not to send people to U2.com. :)

So yeah, about a month and a half. :drool:

Of course, winter (early February) single for a late March album.

Man, it would be so badass if they could just drop a record out of the blue - like right after the Super Bowl thing. Hey, remember U2 and how great they are? Well, their new record is available right now. Get it today and receive these bonus tracks/video footage/app/pizza coupon, etc.

The build-up and early single release seems so antiquated at this point.

I know it's apples and oranges, but think of how many people pounced on that Beyonce release. There was no tiresome build-up, no leak, no leak damage control, no single-dangling, etc. It was like an impulse buy. It blew up the social networks, people wanted to be in on it and had no problem shelling out real money for music in 2013.

At this point, a lot of people can already dismiss a record before it's official due date. An album can theoretically be dead on arrival if it leaks and has negative responses.

I'm not sure if that's a feasible long-term business plan for a relevant pop act like Beyonce or a warhorse like U2, but it killed a news cycle, and that's pretty impressive for any musical product these days.

Everything in those initial reports where we first heard of this big super bowl ad has come true so far... and nobody denied anything... and I did hear from "sources" (ha!) that it was accurate that people were inquiring. I have no clue if they purchased the ad time... but they were definitely asking around.

So maybe this "corporate partner" they were looking for to launch the album is Apple or Google, and they plan on launching the single for purchase when the commercial hits.

Not too far fetched :hmm:

Everything in those initial reports where we first heard of this big super bowl ad has come true so far... and nobody denied anything... and I did hear from "sources" (ha!) that it was accurate that people were inquiring. I have no clue if they purchased the ad time... but they were definitely asking around.

So maybe this "corporate partner" they were looking for to launch the album is Apple or Google, and they plan on launching the single for purchase when the commercial hits.

It makes sense. I picture something like:

"Preorder the album at iTunes (crossing my fingers it's Google Play instead) now and get a free download of the new single"

It makes sense. I picture something like:

"Preorder the album at iTunes (crossing my fingers it's Google Play instead) now and get a free download of the new single"

Yea I agree. What else could the corporate partner be? U2, brought to you by the Gap?

I mean any actual sponsorship would get them crucified... Unless they're in like a Guinness commercial. That would be pretty cool. :hmm:

So if they are going through with this ad it has to be music related... be it iTunes again or preferably Google Play. It's the only thing that makes sense. Sure, they could go with Samsung, but they'd just be accused of ripping off Jay Z.

I think you brought up a point earlier in one of these threads before the clusterfuck train wreck happened that we'd know in advance if U2 purchased airtime, since the NFL typically announces these things. We probably wouldn't get direct confirmation that it's a U2 ad, I'm guessing it would be Apple or Google with the airtime announced, to try to keep it a surprise, since U2 are after the corporate sponsorship thing or whatever.

I'm pretty much expecting this to happen, plus a "download the new single now!!11!1111" mandate at the end of the commercial with a pre-order, like Mikal suggested. I'm also expecting it to be relatively quiet on the news front until late January when the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl even without Mayo, Wilfork, Gronkowski, Kelly, Vollmer... :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom