New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least this way, with the rumours that it's out in March, it's softening the blow for when the delay announcement comes. Imagine if U2 had said by now that yes, the album was finished, and then a few weeks later it was announced abruptly that it was delayed. People would be a lot more furious than they are now. And before people go saying that it's not a delay if it was never properly announced, we all know the band was indeed shooting for this year.

I wonder too, are U2 the only band whose fans actually EXPECT a delay with every release?

U2 Valencia has had credible stuff before. If you asked me what, I don't remember. But I do recall that they were the one non-English speaking source that I personally remember as solid.

In other words, dammit!

U2Valencia also mentioned they had concrete info that the album would come out on October/November this year several times in the last few months (I recall them bringing it up over and over again in their Twitter page as well). I don't really know what to believe anymore, but I'm still hopeful for a 2013 release. This last week has been very disappointing in terms of what was announced, though.

I think the band believed the album was done. Then all of a sudden last month the comments changed from "nearly finished" to "maybe the end of the year". I reckon Iovine listened to the album when he was visiting and wasn't completely sold on it so now the band is going to spend two or three months making alterations.
That's assuming it doesn't come out this year. The lack of concrete news is so frustrating.

I think the band believed the album was done. Then all of a sudden last month the comments changed from "nearly finished" to "maybe the end of the year". I reckon Iovine listened to the album when he was visiting and wasn't completely sold on it so now the band is going to spend two or three months making alterations.
That's assuming it doesn't come out this year. The lack of concrete news is so frustrating.

Jimmy Iovine doesn't decide it's "not ready". They don't have to sell shit to him. When they say it's done, it gets released.

Can people please stop calling it a delay?

It can't be delayed if it hasn't been announced yet. It can be 'late' or 'later than expected', but to be delayed, there has to have been a date announced for it to be delayed from.

Am I missing something? Nothing has been confirmed it WON'T happen this year yet?

You're not. No one has said the new album isn't coming this year. They're still plotting for late 2013, like Larry said recently.

March 2014 has been rumoured as the tour start date. Autumn album/Spring tour is usually how they operate.

The frustration being expressed in this forum due to not knowing when the world will hear new U2 music says more about the posters than the band.

Get on with your lives and work people, I'm sure the band are.

The frustration being expressed in this forum due to not knowing when the world will hear new U2 music says more about the posters than the band.

Get on with your lives and work people, I'm sure the band are.

It's very strange for people to be so eager for a new album from their favorite band.

If the release does get moved to early next year, my main question is why? It's not as if they're working hard on it now. Is the fall already filled with too many big releases or what?

It's all based on the Aug 20th rumor from U2place which is supposed to be from Universal Italy. This is all we've heard in that regard.

and this was the 'news yesterday' (Aug 19th)

Supposedly it was a bad translation that said the "news yesterday" confirmed 2014.

Linky dink:
RUMORS: U2's Album & French Concert Plans

U2's tour will start in March 2014. The first show in France will be at Paris Bercy and the next will be at the new Allianz Riviera stadium in Nice for the second show. The article might be suggesting that these are the first shows of the whole tour, but that's not clear.

just to clarify re. the above @U2 link and quote - the French article WAS clear actually - it simply stated that the tour would be starting in March, and that the Nice concert, the second French date, would be in summer after Paris Bercy

so, based on the Nice-Matin article, no the tour does not appear to be starting in France in March - it is not suggesting anything of the sort...

It was Jimmy Iovine who said NLOTH needed more HITZ, and the album was delayed so that Lillywhite could come in. Who knows... maybe the album really wasn't any good prior to Lillywhite? We don't know.

The same man, however, thought that the album produced by Chris Thomas was ready to release in the fall of 2003. It was the band who pushed the brakes and said WHOA! LETS WORK ON IT ANOTHER YEAR! Imagine an album with Xanax and Wine, Native Son, and the original versions of ABOY, Yahweh and Sometimes.

:up:

i have noticed that lazarus has been incredibly tetchy/aggressive lately - i had never noticed before... it's getting quite unpleasant actually

Agreed. We all need to calm down and have a nice group hug instead of yelling at one another. There should be room at this table for everyone.

I know I complain a lot about U2 (and that's because they once meant SO MUCH to me), but this delay kinda ticks me off. I hope they don't Lillywhite the album, i.e. have him mix everything to getting rid of subtlety. I hope it actually improves the tracks the way the old band would have. Listening to "Baby Achtung Baby", you can really hear the difference, and I'm so glad the band didn't release those versions.

The political commentary will suck, though. Bono's too much a capitalist; it's heart-breaking to me that he endorses Monsanto in Africa and is largely silent on war crimes committed by the US, but is quick to attack America's enemies. It's not to say that Iran or Al Qaeda shouldn't be criticized, but it looks like hypocritical pandering to political elites in the West, who have no problem when the same crackdowns happen at home or in the rest of the world in their favor. U2 used to be awesome on this front.

Agreed. We all need to calm down and have a nice group hug instead of yelling at one another. There should be room at this table for everyone.

nice group hug? pah i thought we were meant to be self-policing! i want a nice big taser gun :D

I know I complain a lot about U2 (and that's because they once meant SO MUCH to me), but this delay kinda ticks me off. I hope they don't Lillywhite the album, i.e. have him mix everything to getting rid of subtlety. I hope it actually improves the tracks the way the old band would have. Listening to "Baby Achtung Baby", you can really hear the difference, and I'm so glad the band didn't release those versions.

The political commentary will suck, though. Bono's too much a capitalist; it's heart-breaking to me that he endorses Monsanto in Africa and is largely silent on war crimes committed by the US, but is quick to attack America's enemies. It's not to say that Iran or Al Qaeda shouldn't be criticized, but it looks like hypocritical pandering to political elites in the West, who have no problem when the same crackdowns happen at home or in the rest of the world in their favor. U2 used to be awesome on this front.

:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom