New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I didn't attend the Joshua Tree tour but ...

Are you saying you were less than twelve at the time? :sexywink:

Bono is too fat to be a sex symbol right now, which is what he's always been and what I think he wants to be, and which he could be again. (That's right, B the once and future sex symbol.) And Unicorn's right, he has been shaping up a bit in the last months, but he isn't ready yet. I don't think he wants a lot of gut comments in the new album press. Anyway... tour's coming at roughly the same time by the sound of it, even if the album drops later, so it doesn't seem to make much difference.

From a trusted source fairly deep in the inner circle: New album March 2014, with a tour very soon thereafter.

Ah man, this sucks. I still had a little bit of hope left for a 2013 release but now I'll just move past denial and on to depression. :down:

I just skimmed through the last few pages so maybe I missed something, but do we know why exactly they'd want to push the release date back until next year? They did it with NLOTH because they wanted to rework some of the songs, but this album seems to be completely finished by now, and neither Lanois nor Lillywhite have shown any interest in working on it... so what is it?

Thanks for sharing this piece of info by the way, regardless of it being a giant bummer. :sad:

I'm fine with all of this. I can wait a few months for an album, and the later in 2014 the tour starts, the better for me. Summer 2014 in Europe, North America in the fall and winter- I can swing that. If the tour starts in North America in Feb., I'm screwed.

Oh this place never disappoints.

In no way did I imply that they are not releasing the album because Bono is fat.

I implied that Bono is still a chunky monkey because he knows they aren't releasing the album yet.

Sheesh people...

Bono has aged like most Irishmen... not well. He's not like a Jagger or McCartney or Springsteen who keep themselves in phenomenal shape year round.

That said, come album promotion time, he gets his ass to the local Dublin Planet Fitness and gets himself back into shape. It's a pattern that we've seen repeated over the last few tours (and by the way, is a lifestyle that can lead to back issues, certainly not prevent them). He obviously hasn't entered that phase yet. Somebody as image conscious as Bono would not go full speed into the spotlight being all dumpy.

And yes... mostly it was a joke. Which I guess isn't allowed apparently.

It's amazing that this is what gets picked up on, but the part that Gabe mentioned about the delay being largely over massive logistical issues, and that the album is more or less done, gets glossed over.

The album is done. This isn't a delay to rewrite or rerecord. This is a delay to get all their ducks in a row so that when the promotion team gets going, all the pieces are in place to hit the ground running at full speed.

In other words, business as usual.

In no way did I imply that they are not releasing the album because Bono is fat.

I implied that Bono is still a chunky monkey because he knows they aren't releasing the album yet.

Sheesh people...

Bono has aged like most Irishmen... not well. He's not like a Jagger or McCartney or Springsteen who keep themselves in phenomenal shape year round.

That said, come album promotion time, he gets his ass to the local Dublin Planet Fitness and gets himself back into shape. It's a pattern that we've seen repeated over the last few tours (and by the way, is a lifestyle that can lead to back issues, certainly not prevent them). He obviously hasn't entered that phase yet. Somebody as image conscious as Bono would not go full speed into the spotlight being all dumpy.

It's amazing that this is what gets picked up on, but the part that Gabe mentioned about the delay being largely over massive logistical issues, and that the album is more or less done, gets glossed over.

The album is done. This isn't a delay to rewrite or rerecord. This is a delay to get all their ducks in a row so that when the promotion team gets going, all the pieces are in place to hit the ground running at full speed.

What this guy said :up:

Although, in all this banter I think the bigger take away is The Slow Loris finally admitting that he/she really doesn't know anything lol. I wonder if AC will pick up on that? :shifty:

I wish the delay was because Bono was too fat, and then U2.com would post a workout montage.

what i want to know is, is this consistent with what Nick66's sources have been telling him? :D

what i want to know is, is this consistent with what Nick66's sources have been telling him? :D

Bono being fat? No, my sources haven't mentioned anything about that. They (and I) are far too busy to spend time pondering such foolishness.

A possible March release date? Yes.

My sources haven't mentioned anything about Earth 2030, however. :coocoo::lmao:

Sheesh people...

This... This in fact ALL OF THIS! Chill People!

Bono being fat? No, my sources haven't mentioned anything about that. They (and I) are far too busy to spend time pondering such foolishness.

A possible March release date? Yes.

My sources haven't mentioned anything about Earth 2030, however. :coocoo::lmao:

Can't everyone see? U2 will be releasing the next Album to Earth on 2030...

Now that I think it's pretty obvious that 2013 will not happen (imo, it would be a major upset if the album came out this year), I've been thinking a lot about whether this is going to be U2's last album.

Next March will hit the 5 year mark between releases. If U2 were to go 5 years between albums again, they would be closing in on their 60's. Just not sure if they intend to keep releasing albums and touring that late in their lives.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "delay". Maybe they really want to go out with a bang, and either they're adding more songs or like some of you had said, they're trying to get all their ducks in a row because this will be their last big album/tour of their careers.

Now that I think it's pretty obvious that 2013 will not happen (imo, it would be a major upset if the album came out this year), I've been thinking a lot about whether this is going to be U2's last album.

Next March will hit the 5 year mark between releases. If U2 were to go 5 years between albums again, they would be closing in on their 60's. Just not sure if they intend to keep releasing albums and touring that late in their lives.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "delay". Maybe they really want to go out with a bang, and either they're adding more songs or like some of you had said, they're trying to get all their ducks in a row because this will be their last big album/tour of their careers.

Very astute post. ;)

I've been thinking the same thing. As much as they like to go on about releasing a quick follow-up album, everyone here knows that won't happen.
But if this was some kind of farewell thing, the tour would be massive. If people knew this was their last chance to see U2 ticket sales would be their highest ever, especially if the album is a cracker, and it would HAVE to be if it was their last.

I too have pondered this as a possibility, particularly if the album is not received by the public to a level that meets the expectations of the band. If after this album and tour Bono/U2 truly deem the band to no longer be relevant, which in all honesty is quite possible, then...well...

2020 will be our year!

I'd much rather see U2 go out like R.E.M. (i.e., an official, elegant announcement and a quiet exit) than like the Rolling Stones or the Who or whatever other dinosaurs are still rattling around.

I don't think U2 will ever "retire" unless one or all of them are physically unable to continue. Massive world tours and album promotion? That might cool down and this next tour "could" be the last one on that scale.

I'd much rather see U2 go out like R.E.M. (i.e., an official, elegant announcement and a quiet exit) than like the Rolling Stones or the Who or whatever other dinosaurs are still rattling around.

I tend to agree, but I have difficulty seeing U2 doing anything quietly....especially an exit. And as Blue Room pointed out, I don't see them even officially "retiring". Eventually, they will just stop.

Having said that, my sources tell me that this will be their antepenultimate record.

As I understand it, and have said before, they're not "adding" new songs but continuing to work on the ones they have...which is not at all unsurprising since no one in the U2 camp ever said they were "finished". People assumed that recording was or near completed b/c they started playing music for close associates. It's understandable that they might take some of that feedback (if you'll excuse the pun) into account. They're not playing music for Iovine and saying "this is it"...they want to know what he (and others) think and get a set of fresh ears take on the material.

I think "getting their ducks in a row" is about right.

Bono is heavy...heavy as a truck. When he starts his exercise regime, he should remember it's not a hiiiiiiiill it's a mountaaaaain. Still, he's an intellectual tortoise when it comes to eating healthily. He's racing with Larry's bullet train when trying to get himself fit. Sadly, the DNA lottery wasn't kind to him, but he'll reboot himself and move the burgers to trash.

Bono is heavy...heavy as a truck. When he starts his exercise regime, he should remember it's not a hiiiiiiiill it's a mountaaaaain. Still, he's an intellectual tortoise when it comes to eating healthily. He's racing with Larry's bullet train when trying to get himself fit. Sadly, the DNA lottery wasn't kind to him, but he'll reboot himself and move the burgers to trash.

Not exactly LOL, but I did chuckle a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom