New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevey

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Or flying rocks, or flame throwers, or fandom abandonment, resigned decision to patiently save for next tour or satisfaction that U2 will never (never ever) release what they think is a less than stellar album. Take yer pick.

There is no news on the horizon. Speculate about reasons for the delay or forecast what will happen when news will someday, presumably, appear. Onward.

Hopefully this thread doesn't have as many lengthy deep thought posts I could care less about. I don't care about your feelings.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

Yep, terra keeps turning. Why am I still here interference? But seriously, there's a lot of good music out there. I'm addicted to Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

There's some magic out there. Go hunt it.

You can even feel Paul Epworth in it.

Yep, terra keeps turning. Why am I still here interference? But seriously, there's a lot of good music out there. I'm addicted to Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

I hope you're kidding.

They'll have spent as much time on this next record as they did on Boy, October, War, and the Unforgettable Fire. And maybe Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum by the time it comes out, if it does. I think one of them will quit before the album is "finished," and that'll be it.

You did see that my tongue was in my cheek on that title, right?

I assumed you would probably realize that I was just stating my opinion in general of the ranting and raving going on in the previous thread.

Not, you know, responding directly to you. Like this. :wink:

I don't care about your feelings.

Confession: I never cared about your feelings either. It was all a big lie. I especially don't care what bloody mobile device you happen to be posting from this week.

:wink:

We should all say that we're dying in the next year to see if this speeds up the process.

For whatever reason, they seem paralyzed at the prospect of releasing an album. Fine. Just indulge us with a six track EP (they have seven finished songs, right?) and a (farewell) tour, and that'll be fine by me. What I absolutely cannot stand any longer is "cockteaser U2" which is really all they've been this decade. We want to be great, we want to be relevant, we want the sun to shine out of our butt-holes. The next time Bono says one of those things, someone just slap him around the face with a wet trout. Maybe that'll give him the message, eh?

I assumed you would probably realize that I was just stating my opinion in general of the ranting and raving going on in the previous thread.

Not, you know, responding directly to you. Like this. :wink:

S'okay. I'm still feeling a little sensitive about the whole thing. :sexywink: Though I did try to stay well out of that thread once the news broke. Holy smoke.

There are new reports that the new album was on board the missing plane. Hopefully Eloise will help us find the island in efforts to recover the album.

Good AtU2 post:

There are currently 3 or 4 threads about the same things...the delay, pr disaster, etc. Everyone is chiming in with wither disgust and anger (frustration is understandable, but it's up to them to take on the consequences of the delay. so many "marketing experts" that know what's best for the band and their "relevancy.")

The band is not four morons. Guy Oseary is no fool. They know the details inside the camp. Maybe the band is holding on by a thread, so allow them the chance to sort it out. Maybe they are so close to a great album(s), so let them get there. Maybe this is their "Collapse Into Now" (sorry for all of the REM analogies lately, but they fit.) So, they want to go out big.

Yes, more albums would keep them more visible and "relevant" (like Coldplay), or maybe what Bono means by relevancy is different than popularity. They don't need to establish their name, but they need to be sure that each album they put out maintains their legacy (even if it's 5-10 years). I feel too many people on here who are having a fit, are in a spot where they need their investment in this band to be proven. They need their knowledge of birthdays and back stories...the international tour travels...to be justified. Don't be defined by your fan expertise. Even the band is made up of four individuals with their own things going on. They've lost relationships and so forth, and now, maybe they try to balance or switch things up more.

As a creative person, I know how it is to feel you've created something brilliant--while you are in the heat of the bubble. After a good night's sleep, with a fresh mind, you see what you created, instead of what you imagined. There's body dysmorphia...and the pressures on the band could have them second-guessing what they've created or what they've intended. The process has almost broken them up several times, and that was when they had more drive and inertia. Being in the band isn't as essential anymore. They are rich and famous. Let them chill out, sort it out, and get it together on their own terms.

Yes, it's fine to try and predict. Yes, it's fine to suggest what they need to do. It's great to try and put a voice to the collective hopes of the fans...but we are outside of the walls. Despite all of the research and U2 books that one can read, that doesn't put us in the recording studio or in their bedrooms.

In summary. I'm happy with 3/4ths of No Line. It's a much better sounding album than Bomb. I don't believe the guys are washed up. I would love a double album, but I suspect it's double in the old sense of 12 songs/45 minutes. In the days of CDs, it went to double that. With digital, it could be presented any possible way. They talked about presenting the next album in a non-traditional way, and I believe Guy could help with that. I am a fan of Dangermouse and PLEASE, understand the difference between ONE DIRECTION and ONE REPUBLIC (who they are working with now. That collaboration doesn't excite me, (but neither did Michael W Smith)...and people keep complaining about one DIRECTION (the boy band.)

In summary, I have hopes and expectations, but I have to have other things in my life besides this band. As an artist, I want people to appreciate my work. I'm flattered when someone I admire "gets it"...but I also think the fan thing is creepy (unless you crave attention.) Critique more, obsess less.

We should all say that we're dying in the next year to see if this speeds up the process.

:lol: Exactly! That post was one of the most sad things I've ever read. If you're dying, being with your family will be more important than a U2 concert. Secondly, when you're dead it's not like you'll remember anything about anything including the U2 songs you did hear. If he believes in a heaven then surely in heaven he'll get to listen to all the U2 albums (including the ones that were never made).

:doh:

Im sort of reminded of the movie Groundhog Day, its like every time we think we are close to a new album.....LOLZ...FU fans we just delayed this shit another year!!

:applaud:

Seriously WTF is wrong with this band? 'Invisible' is a solid song, the two performances we've heard of 'Ordinary Love' were both great, And they have what....30....50...100 potential songs they cant find 12 to put on a disc and release?

I can't wait to turn 50, I can see it now, my boss will ask me if im finished with the report that was due yesterday, I will just say "sure gonna send it right over" and then do absolutely nothing. An hour or two later when my boss asks me again if I have that report ready, I can say "oh, sure, I just cant think of what to call it, gonna send it to you soon, maybe tomorrow" and then leave for the day. Next day the boss asks where the report is and I say "oh, its nearly finished, im going to work on it all summer, btw, im going on vacation for two weeks and when I get back I will finish it up, good bye"

For whatever reason, they seem paralyzed at the prospect of releasing an album. Fine. Just indulge us with a six track EP (they have seven finished songs, right?) and a (farewell) tour, and that'll be fine by me.

While I want them to release something now, and new music in whichever format would be fine by me too, I don't see why they should release an EP with a bunch of maybe untied songs, when they strongly believe in the album, always had, and not just relating to the format, but I mean to a concept, to a central idea on what it's gonna sound etc. (apart from some bits on the last albums, which I can positively pass over, at least that's me), and all in all to a number of songs on the tracklist that harks back to the classic album idea.

See, it's not easy and I think they are admirable for this (I'm not talking about this latest, endless project, rather of what they did with HTDAAB and NLOTH). I think they wanted those albums to be cohesive, and I think for most part of them, they succeeded. But again, that's me.

If it was for me, like you, I'd accept even 1 single every two months, no more LP's, but at the same time I can't help liking them going behind the album idea, as a project which as a whole is greater than just a bunch of songs.

I can see it now, my boss will ask me if im finished with the report that was due yesterday, I will just say "sure gonna send it right over" and then do absolutely nothing. An hour or two later when my boss asks me again if I have that report ready, I can say "oh, sure, I just cant think of what to call it, gonna send it to you soon, maybe tomorrow" and then leave for the day. Next day the boss asks where the report is and I say "oh, its nearly finished, im going to work on it all summer, btw, im going on vacation for two weeks and when I get back I will finish it up, good bye"

It's more like this:

You're working on a report, but you're stuck. Your new boss, let's call him Guy, is on you about it, but you've been working on it so long you really don't have an excuse. Then something comes up with a client, let's call him Mandela, and your boss wants you to write quick, short report for this client. Let's call it the OL report. Well, you're stuck on that as well, so you pull out an old report you never finished or submitted because it wasn't that good, tweak & rename it, and give to it your boss and try to pass it off as something new. Some of the buffoons in the office think it's great and praise you for it, but the people who have been around a while, know your work and what you're capable of recognise it for what it is. Anyway, now when your boss asks you where the first, main report is, you have a nice excuse and blame the "delay" on the OL report.

Then you finally run out of excuses, ditch the report altogether and head to the South of France, after which you'll return to the office and start over. This time you might hire some subcontractors from New Delhi to finish for you, however, since that Burton guy from the 5th floor wasn't much help.

Sad part with the office analogies is that if you don't hand in the report, you're fired and the younger guy gets handed your title because he'll do it for less pay. Then he goes out and writes a shitty report which is then praised by the boss because all the hipster kids love it. :lol:

At this point I don't know why any producer worth a shit who isn't named Eno, Lanois or Lillywhite would work with them on anything short of a single or an EP.

They have to be the most infuriating group to work with.

Pretty soon there will be a support group for former U2 producers.

At this point I don't know why any producer worth a shit who isn't named Eno, Lanois or Lillywhite would work with them on anything short of a single or an EP.

They have to be the most infuriating group to work with.

Pretty soon there will be a support group for former U2 producers.

Yep.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom