New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, is there some kind of rift between U2 and Flood? I'd love to see them work with him again.

PS. I don't want this to turn into a Pop discussion, I'm just genuinely curious.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

Wasn't City Of Blinding Lights produced by Flood?

"Ordinary Love" and "Invisible" were paint-by-numbers MOR nonsense with excruciating vocals from Bono, pretty disappointing considering Brian Burton's involvement. I was actually thinking the other day that U2 should get Ryan Tedder onboard. But only because "Counting Stars" is a more enjoyable song than either of U2's newest. This band is lost at sea.

I'm mostly just shocked that the Brian Burton stuff was so mediocre.

"U2 by numbers", the second laziest argument next to "sounds like Coldplay".

I've asked and not one person has answered, how is Invisible U2 by numbers?

"Ordinary Love" and "Invisible" were paint-by-numbers MOR nonsense with excruciating vocals from Bono, pretty disappointing considering Brian Burton's involvement. I was actually thinking the other day that U2 should get Ryan Tedder onboard. But only because "Counting Stars" is a more enjoyable song than either of U2's newest. This band is lost at sea.

I'm mostly just shocked that the Brian Burton stuff was so mediocre.

I certainly wasn't thrilled by either. Makes you wonder whether Burton was able to exert his influence at all, or whether he was essentially just an overpaid "yes man". Whatever they cook up with Epworth/Tedder is likely to sound just as bland and devoid of personality once put through the mixing blender for the six-hundredth-and-twelfth time. Well, I guess we'll find out in two years time! :hyper:

I'm with you. Just my two cents but I actually thought Invisible sounded more modern than U2 by numbers like Pop did in 97. Whether that is good or not is down to personal opinion but this whole argument of 'safe' music is no real argument of all. Nick66 at least expands on safe U2 but most just throw it out there.

I consider Mercy classic U2 by numbers but I'm sure many others think of a different sound when bringing up this point.

In other words, elaborate please.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using U2 Interference mobile app

Well been a fan since the 1980's and U2 are just irrelevant to me now.

If you cannot put out a album after 5 years just retire. This is just becoming one big joke and a sad one at that. I check on here to see what is happening every now and then and all we get are delay's and excuses. If there is nothing left to say then say goodbye or at the least just shut up until you release something.

Maybe waste your time doing broadway again, that went so well last time.

I think Bono should realize they are irrelevant already and it is all their own doing.

I certainly wasn't thrilled by either. Makes you wonder whether Burton was able to exert his influence at all, or whether he was essentially just an overpaid "yes man". Whatever they cook up with Epworth/Tedder is likely to sound just as bland and devoid of personality once put through the mixing blender for the six-hundredth-and-twelfth time. Well, I guess we'll find out in two years time! :hyper:

I do sometimes wonder why you bother coming here at all. :lol:

The whole thing is so over the top. Its like the jokes being made a few months ago. "oh wouldn't be it funny if it got delayed till 2015!" CAUSE THE BAND ISN'T REALLY GONNA DO THAT,!!! SO ITS FUNNY !! yea well. eh. it was before they did it.

Wouldn't it be funny if it got delayed to 2016?

You've doomed us.

I just want a tour. The amount of U2 songs I have on my phone is absurd and realistically I don't need 10 or 11 more. They've given us enough music to explore for a lifetime, I just want to see them live a few times again before they call it a day.

Only times I've seen them were when I was like 9/10 and 14/15, so I need some more recent tour memories!

I agree.

First, I thought Bono's vocals on both songs were brilliant. To call them "excruciating" has me truly puzzled. I'm not sure if he's listening to the same songs I am.

Neither song is "paint by numbers". What I think he means is that both songs sound like U2. The horror. U2 sounding like U2. That's it. My fanaticism is over.

A soundtrack about an incredible person and a charity song meant to raise millions is hardly the time to get wildly experimental. In fact, in those two cases, there is no better time for U2 to sound like U2.

Now, would I like more "adventurous" material on the next release? Yes. And by that, I mean songs like MOS or Breathe or White As Snow. MOS, in particular, is a true classic and shows U2 can still create something fantastic.

What I fear though is U2 taking something great, like the original Mercy, and turning it into that disaster of a song on Wide Awake in Europe. Quit tinkering! It usually hurts more than helps.

Well been a fan since the 1980's and U2 are just irrelevant to me now.

If you cannot put out a album after 5 years just retire. This is just becoming one big joke and a sad one at that. I check on here to see what is happening every now and then and all we get are delay's and excuses. If there is nothing left to say then say goodbye or at the least just shut up until you release something.

Maybe waste your time doing broadway again, that went so well last time.

I think Bono should realize they are irrelevant already and it is all their own doing.

Hey, mate, aren't you a cheery fella!

Neither song is "paint by numbers". What I think he means is that both songs sound like U2. The horror. U2 sounding like U2. That's it. My fanaticism is over.
:ohmy: :sad:

A soundtrack about an incredible person and a charity song meant to raise millions is hardly the time to get wildly experimental. In fact, in those two cases, there is no better time for U2 to sound like U2.
This makes alot of sense. Something I hadn't thought of.

Now, would I like more "adventurous" material on the next release? Yes. And by that, I mean songs like MOS or Breathe or White As Snow. MOS, in particular, is a true classic and shows U2 can still create something fantastic.

What I fear though is U2 taking something great, like the original Mercy, and turning it into that disaster of a song on Wide Awake in Europe. Quit tinkering! It usually hurts more than helps.

Breath is one of my favs. MOS -- not in it's entirety by but parts really are quite special. WAS -- doesn't do it for me. but hey. :)

Oh I loved the original Mercy but the reworked chorus ......? :yawn:

Magic is still possible with this band in new songs. And the maic remains in their live shows. :heart:

I forgot to tell you this

I got a friend of mine to hear "Invisible" when it just came out

At first she didn't know it was U2

When I told her, she said maybe the weirdest thing I've heard:
- "It sounds new... and it sucks. It sucks because they're trying to sound young, and they shouldn't".

- "What do you mean? What's so bad of trying to sound fresh?"

- "They should play their age"

That was like a month ago... and I'm still :|

BREAKING: New U2 Album 'Producers' expected early 2015

Tracklisting:

1. Invisible
2. Burton
3. (D. Mouse)
4. Chris Thomas
5. Rubin
6. Tedder & Epworth
7. Eno
8. C. Martin
9. Lillywhite
10. Lanois
11. God (finally walked through the room)

:lmao: I love #8 and #11.

I forgot to tell you this

I got a friend of mine to hear "Invisible" when it just came out

At first she didn't know it was U2

When I told her, she said maybe the weirdest thing I've heard:
- "It sounds new... and it sucks. It sucks because they're trying to sound young, and they shouldn't".

- "What do you mean? What's so bad of trying to sound fresh?"

- "They should play their age"

That was like a month ago... and I'm still :|

What's wrong in trying to sound young, think young etc.? There's a good way to do it and there's a bad way. 'Invisible' actually sounds fresh for them. Reminded me of Tears For Fears a bit but it still sounded nice and fresh. The bad way to do it is... Vertigo... especially that atrocious video and the yeah yeah yeah yeah! :no:

I do sometimes wonder why you bother coming here at all. :lol:

I do sometimes wonder why you bother replying at all :lol: if my posts aren't to your tastes...well, you can always use the ignore function. But I'm certainly not going to stop expressing my opinions on your account. Now go irritate someone else :wave:

You're allowed to express all you want :lol:, I'm not trying to silence you at all, it's just baffling when all your 1,000+ posts consist of the same sort of negativity over and over again. I can't get my head around it. :lol:

Working in hypotheticals if what has been reported is true, if I was the band I'd take the best of what has been written and release it under a different moniker (ala Passengers) thus appeasing the core fanbase while being left alone to decide what to do U2 wise.

Sent from my Note 3 because I like holding a brick to my ear.

Working in hypotheticals if what has been reported is true, if I was the band I'd take the best of what has been written and release it under a different moniker (ala Passengers) thus appeasing the core fanbase while being left alone to decide what to do U2 wise.

Sent from my Note 3 because I like holding a brick to my ear.

Yeah well, the songs need to fit a Passengers style mood as well. But I agree with your basic point. At least do something! Sheesh! Other bands do side projects, solo albums, supergroups and shit during their downtime (see Atoms For Peace, Lulu, Eddie Vedder solo etc.) and U2 doesn't even deliver when a main studio album is past due!

Yeah well, the songs need to fit a Passengers style mood as well. But I agree with your basic point. At least do something! Sheesh! Other bands do side projects, solo albums, supergroups and shit during their downtime (see Atoms For Peace, Lulu, Eddie Vedder solo etc.) and U2 doesn't even deliver when a main studio album is past due!

Exactly. They can call themselves whatever suits the concept. It wouldn't be their worst step forward from a PR perspective.

Sent from my Note 3 with my sticky finger

I wonder how they are going to play this now.

Do we expect them to just disappear from the public gaze again?

I'm convinced the SB Invisible ad was originally meant to be the launch of a new campaign, this is pretty unprecedented in the industry with a band of this stature. Do they do anymore interviews, do U2.com say anything on the matter?

Also, do we presume they had a hand in pushing this news out through Billboard?

They'll have spent as much time on this next record as they did on Boy, October, War, and the Unforgettable Fire. And maybe Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum by the time it comes out, if it does. I think one of them will quit before the album is "finished," and that'll be it.

yeah, this is a joke, they are totally blind and psycho!

I'm sure some of you are secretly hoping and praying that they surprise release an album out of the blue as is the fashion nowadays. :sexywink:

But seriously, U2 has not denied this news after several media organizations have reported it, which means that it must be true!?! So we can quash that line of argument that the news is bullshit. (?)

it's just baffling when all your 1,000+ posts consist of the same sort of negativity over and over again. I can't get my head around it. :lol:

Um, clearly you haven't read all of my "1,000+ posts". If you're going to make an assertion about my posting habits here, at least do your research first. I really don't have the inclination on turning this into some trivial back and forth. So, respectfully, quit your playful harassment schtick. No need to reply.

I'm sure some of you are secretly hoping and praying that they surprise release an album out of the blue as is the fashion nowadays. :sexywink:

But seriously, U2 has not denied this news after several media organizations have reported it, which means that it must be true!?! So we can quash that line of argument that the news is bullshit. (?)

An out of the blue release comes generally with no reports at all or with sketchy details about the works and that's all.

With U2, we've heard, from different press sources, a range of months (November, Early 2014, April, June/Summer, now Early 2015) that came based on statements of the band members (even if they've always been unsure, probably). That creates no environment for a surprise release.

Back
Top Bottom