New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty soon there will be a support group for former U2 producers.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

I think there probably is, even if it's unspoken. Basically all their former producers have very nicely but clearly said, "Better him than me!"

I imagine there might be a bit of a dilemma about producing U2. I mean, realistically anyone who is asked must know what kind of a shitfest it's likely to turn into, but it must be very hard to say no when you look at the stature of the band and the potential payoff if you happen to succeed. And I imagine any producer (but particularly anyone not named Eno Or Lanois) is very disadvantaged as to what terms he'll work under because U2 are so huge. Basically, they must call all the shots in terms of working style, and the producer must either say yes to everything or no to the whole deal.

I think there probably is, even if it's unspoken. Basically all their former producers have very nicely but clearly said, "Better him than me!"

I imagine there might be a bit of a dilemma about producing U2. I mean, realistically anyone who is asked must know what kind of a shitfest it's likely to turn into, but it must be very hard to say no when you look at the stature of the band and the potential payoff if you happen to succeed. And I imagine any producer (but particularly anyone not named Eno Or Lanois) is very disadvantaged as to what terms he'll work under because U2 are so huge. Basically, they must call all the shots in terms of working style, and the producer must either say yes to everything or no to the whole deal.

Well said. I'm pretty much convinced Brian and Danny are the only producers who can really get these guys to make choices. And they are certainly the only ones who have been able to consistently get greatness out of U2.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

BTW, is there some kind of rift between U2 and Flood? I'd love to see them work with him again.

PS. I don't want this to turn into a Pop discussion, I'm just genuinely curious.

BTW, is there some kind of rift between U2 and Flood? I'd love to see them work with him again.

PS. I don't want this to turn into a Pop discussion, I'm just genuinely curious.

I too would love them to work with Flood again. He's worked on more great records than anyone I can think of, and he's not tied to a particular sound. He's U2's secret weapon. Eno and Lanois get all the credit, but Flood's done a lot of production and engineering, and U2 never sound as good as when he's mixing them.

Here's a quote from him regarding Pop and his relationship with the band.

"Hi, I think the sound of the record has so much to do with where the band were at that time. Larry was having major back surgery so that is why the sessions were started with Howie B. There was a lot of external pressure - the impending tour and to make big record after the experiments with Zooropa and Passengers. As producer I was in the eye of the storm for most of the time and it was very stressful! I was in almost at the beginning of what turned into a 15 month job! I still keep in touch with the band and who knows about the next record......."

Welcome to our new guest moderated forum: Q&A with FLOOD - Forums

I don't think there's a rift, any more than there's a rift with Eno, Lanois or Lillywhite. I think they just wanted to work with new people this time around. And it seems they will be working with a lot of them.

Ps. SwiftKey is fucking amazing. It knew I wanted to type Lillywhite right after I typed Eno, and suggested it as soon as I hit the L key. Spooky.

as i posted, he keeps in touch with the band and is not against working with them.

maybe U2's producer hopping is just them being charitable and employing as many people as possible.

I don't think there's a rift, any more than there's a rift with Eno, Lanois or Lillywhite. I think they just wanted to work with new people this time around. And it seems they will be working with a lot of them.

Ps. SwiftKey is fucking amazing. It knew I wanted to type Lillywhite right after I typed Eno, and suggested it as soon as I hit the L key. Spooky.

Yes. Both Swiftkey and Swype are crazy good. Swype is a system app on my Note 3 so I've been using that but I love both.

I too would love them to work with Flood again. He's worked on more great records than anyone I can think of, and he's not tied to a particular sound. He's U2's secret weapon. Eno and Lanois get all the credit, but Flood's done a lot of production and engineering, and U2 never sound as good as when he's mixing them.

Here's a quote from him regarding Pop and his relationship with the band.

"Hi, I think the sound of the record has so much to do with where the band were at that time. Larry was having major back surgery so that is why the sessions were started with Howie B. There was a lot of external pressure - the impending tour and to make big record after the experiments with Zooropa and Passengers. As producer I was in the eye of the storm for most of the time and it was very stressful! I was in almost at the beginning of what turned into a 15 month job! I still keep in touch with the band and who knows about the next record......."

Welcome to our new guest moderated forum: Q&A with FLOOD - Forums

Thanks for posting that. Good stuff. :up:

BREAKING: New U2 Album 'Producers' expected early 2015

Tracklisting:

1. Invisible
2. Burton
3. (D. Mouse)
4. Chris Thomas
5. Rubin
6. Tedder & Epworth
7. Eno
8. C. Martin
9. Lillywhite
10. Lanois
11. God (finally walked through the room)

All I want is U2 to stop teasing us and give us a straight answer. For once and for all just release a statement saying yes album will for sure be out this year or no it will not so we can end this wild speculation. Just tell us something so we can move on and not keep on hoping on vague comments and bonoisms. It's that simple! Don't keep us in the dark that's not too much to ask for is it?

Good one Mrs. :up:

I believe that Eno manages to handle producing U2 because he's quite like "in the family", a bit like Lillywhite. Even if he gets bored with them, he has the humility to struggle with them.

Flood is a very patient guy, a great guy, I could listen to him for hours talking about recording details. And COBL, where he contributed, was great. He's excellent for the sole mixing role too, they could still consider him that way.

youarenotimmune said:
Ultraviolet is one of the heaviest songs the band has ever written. The lyrical "throwaway" elements were part of the (very conscious) antithesis to the 80s take-themselves-too-seriously, holier-than-thou U2 persona. And I've parenthesized the word throwaway because in the thematic context of the song, the "baby" parts actually worked brilliantly. Ultraviolet paints a picture of a man at the end of his rope. Of utter despair. And boy, does it Munch the shit out of that picture!

Nah. It's not even really one of the heaviest songs on that album. It's easily one of the poppier, more radio-accessible. And that's just fine.

BVS said:
Bono is that you with the superhyperbole?

It's heavier than it appears on it's surface but it wouldn't even rank in the top 15 on the heavy scale.

Regsitered Dude said:
lyrically heavy... dense, weighty... not

Wow, I missed all these responses to my post about Ultraviolet in the last thread due to the ensuing Billboard-2015-news engendered meltdown haha. I feel I need to say a bit more on this subject because I feel quite strongly about it.

My friend had the good fortune of meeting Adam after the first Wembley gig on the last tour. This was his first U2 show, so he was understandably blown away by it. After telling Adam how it was the best night of his life bla bla, he said Ultraviolet was the highlight of the show, and he couldn't believe that they'd taken so long to play it again. Adam replied, "It was a difficult one for Bono to sing on the last tour (Zoo TV). It drained him emotionally."

When my friend told me this, I honestly wasn't surprised. Look at the Zoo TV performances of Ultraviolet and you can see how much singing it affects him. It's not just a catchy, pop song. Far from it. But the fact that a lot of people can just enjoy the surface of it is actually a testament to the song. When I talk about how heavy a song this is, I'm alluding to its subject matter. Yes, it is poppy and radio-friendly, but thematically it is as heavy as it gets.

And hey, maybe its just a case of seeing what you want to see, and I'm only making this out to be the soundtrack of despair and existential angst because that's what I take out of it. But there is a certain degree of external validity here. I know a lot of people feel similarly about this song. Maybe you can only connect with it in the sense I'm talking about if you've experienced that sort of helpless despair, where you are unsure about absolutely everything. When you are on the brink of giving up, desperate for anyone or anything to just save you. I don't know. All I know is that there this little "pop" song resonates with me pretty damn strongly.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my Ultraviolet lovefest! :wave:

Mrs G :lol:

*ding!* #11 :lol::lol::lol:

I have Art-making and Art-decisions as I go long with it over these next 6-7 months that I'm really serious riding on - but will not know until till 6-7 months from now just how it will play out.....
...so in a way not having to think about how I am going to see U2, can I et a friend to lend me the $ for tix (paid them off late 2012 for the previous tixs) for it - 2 shows cause I couildn't afford anymore anyway...... getting g great GA w camera in hand (serious rock concert i photographer even if I never made a living out it - i was damn good pre-digital too)....

I can let all that be till way later in the year. My focus can truely hone in on my creative process and results plus my :heart: family & friends :) of course.

I'll have to check out the Flood Q&A. At POP time I was in pretty nasty straits, so I didn't get it till waaay later.

There's lots to love on it! :up:
It's in my 2nd tier after JT/AB & NLOTH.

Yep.

They had tons of trouble getting no name producers like Chris Thomas, Rick Rubin and Danger Mouse on the last two albums.

I don't think they will ever have trouble getting whoever they choose.

We don't know what the process of decision making was. Of course it's a gigantic opportunity for any producer, and U2 has a tremendous amount of leverage. But anyone with a brain would think long and hard about committing to a project with them. They're notoriously difficult to work with.

I hope you're kidding.

"you all should move on and listen to more music!"

"No! Not that music, that's the wrong other music!"

No other keyboard I have tried comes close to matching SwiftKey. Ever since they added the swipe option, it's unstoppable.

Here, I fixed this for you :D

"you all should move on :tsk: :tsk: and listen to more music!"

" :no:No!:no: Not that music, that's the wrong :rant: :shame: :rant: other music!"
:wink: :lol:

And here's a partial list from March 6, '14
on my Local Universtiy FM Station WFUV (where U2 debuted NLOTH live)

PHANTOGRAM- FALL IN LOVE
PETER GABRIEL - DIGGING IN THE DIRT
BRIGHT EYES TAKE IT EASY (LOVE NOTHING)
U2 - INVISIBLE
DAVID BOWIE - MODERN LOVE
THE SHINS - SIMPLE SONG
VAN MORRISON - BLUE MONEY
PHARRELL WILLIAMS - HAPPY
DIVINE FITS - WOULD THAT NOT BE NICE
ATLAS GENIUS - IF SO WHEN IT WAS NOW
ELBOW - NEW YORK MORNING
CHRIS ISAAK - WICKED GAME
WILD BELLE - KEEP YOU
JEREMY MESSERSMITH - GHOST

seems pretty good to me :D

"you all should move on and listen to more music!"

"No! Not that music, that's the wrong other music!"

No other keyboard I have tried comes close to matching SwiftKey. Ever since they added the swipe option, it's unstoppable.

The one area where Swype comes ahead for me is that I can swipe passwords too. Plus if I want to capitalize a letter I can swipe up after hitting the letter. I think it all comes down to if you prefer Swype functions over predictions.

I wonder how God feels about that

I'm an ex-religious person buta Spiritual one who beleives something ... is going on out there in the Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse :)ohmy:) beyond aethiest's POV. :)

Speaking of out there watching COSMOS tonight! Hopes it's good!

And a *shout out* to :) Dr Carl Sagan!

:

They had tons of trouble getting no name producers like Chris Thomas, Rick Rubin and Danger Mouse on the last two albums.

I don't think they will ever have trouble getting whoever they choose.

I wouldn't be so sure of this statement anymore.Since the latest cast off isn't hiding his displeasure with the band. Put yourself in DM's shoes, you're the new hottest producer out there you have a number of critically acclaimed albums, in fact you have you're own critically acclaimed album out. U2 rings you up and says you wanna produce our next album? Wow what an opportunity for a young hipster producer to get a chance to work with the giants of the industry. After YEARS of work and maybe a glimmer that this thing could be on its way to finishing. I mean put out a couple of good tunes them only to hear they are going to others to finish the album. Fuck yeah Id be pissed. You wonder how all of this is playing out industry-wide. I mean the Rubins and Thomas's of the world must be saying to themselves, "shoulda warned the young whipped snapper. I can't actually believe Im saying this..... get Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite even you "shine box" Jimmy. You all deserve each other and yes we'll get VertigoIII and sappy lyrics from Bono, Im sure Larry could retire quite fitfully after another luke warm album and sold out tour.

I totally blame Dallas Shoe for this mess.

"Ordinary Love" and "Invisible" were paint-by-numbers MOR nonsense with excruciating vocals from Bono, pretty disappointing considering Brian Burton's involvement. I was actually thinking the other day that U2 should get Ryan Tedder onboard. But only because "Counting Stars" is a more enjoyable song than either of U2's newest. This band is lost at sea.

I'm mostly just shocked that the Brian Burton stuff was so mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom