New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for those of us who don't follow the threads closely, can we get a brief recap in the first post, Digitize?

I just saw the Tweet from the old thread about why Bono is being quiet. "It's just about making it now rather than discussing it." Hmm. Is he saying that because the others told him to be quiet or because he realizes that he overdid it last time? Either way, it only adds to the mystery.

Also, here's hoping that we have actual new album news to discuss before this thread reaches 1000 posts.

It would be nice if the mods could keep the first post updated with what we know, at least.

Can someone clarify what Bono meant by the Iovine comment on the SATS video on the last page of the previous thread?

Was he suggesting that he was a good influence? Or am I being a bit dim?!

:waiting:

So this time around we won't be hearing the following:
Punk rock from Mars
Edge is on fire
Best two weeks in studio in last thirty years
Worst of all.... Beach Clips :gah:
So for the next few months we are going to:
Fight about Pop, Rush, the Burton's (Tim, Richard and DM) and so on. This is gonna be a long hot summer.

Can someone clarify what Bono meant by the Iovine comment on the SATS video on the last page of the previous thread?

I was unclear on that too. Enlightenment?

:waiting:

So this time around we won't be hearing the following:
Punk rock from Mars
Edge is on fire
Best two weeks in studio in last thirty years
Worst of all.... Beach Clips :gah:
So for the next few months we are going to:
Fight about Pop, Rush, the Burton's (Tim, Richard and DM) and so on. This is gonna be a long hot summer.

I guess if there's any good news to speak of it that this year has been a really good year for music. The Strokes and Atoms For Peace albums are great and there are some other great artists (Deerhunter, The National) releasing albums soon as well. Should be enough to hold us over for a while. :D

I was unclear on that too. Enlightenment?

From my reading of it, he sounds a bit peeved off at the way that Iovine pressed the band down a particular path and perhaps had too much of a say over their commercial/singles choices. As I said over in the other thread, the dead giveaway is Edge's (feeble) attempt to stop him from saying something he'll regret - he interrupts after the first sentence to say 'Ready?'

But then there's the other side of the story...

Here's what Iovine told Rolling Stone in April 2012 about the record:
As the head of their record company, what was your opinion of U2′s last album, “No Line on the Horizon”?
Jimmy Iovine: It wasn’t finished. The way they record — they don’t go, “OK, we have eight songs. Now we’re up to the ninth.” Forget it. The end of one song is the hook in the next one. The Edge comes in upside down, at the last minute. Bono is in five studios. [Shrugs] They didn’t finish it.

He also had this to say in Billboard back in 2008:
I met with the guys in U2, and they say to me, 'You know what? This album needs two more songs, and it will be exactly what we have in mind.' I go there and I listen, and I agreed with them. It's a great record, but it deserves the time. Labels need to work with artists to help them achieve their best work, not to jam records out that are half-baked or three-quarters baked.

So, for those of us who don't follow the threads closely, can we get a brief recap in the first post, Digitize?

It would be nice if the mods could keep the first post updated with what we know, at least.
It was stupid of me to not post a recap in my first post. Unfortunately, it's too late for me to edit. However, if I have time later today, I'll type a recap up and ask a moderator/administrator to edit it in for me. Alternatively, if someone else wants to type something up before I have a chance, I give a moderator/administrator permission to add it into my first post.

Looking back at 2011 discussion about it, there was controversy about the meaning. But I'm taking it as a dig at Iovine. The "look at how that worked on the last album" (or something like that; I can't remember the exact wording at the moment) comment sounds sarcastic to me. Iovine runs one of the labels that U2 works with (I can never keep up with what exactly that situation is), and I wouldn't be surprised if he was pushing for "hits". Obviously, that push backfired, and I get the impression that Bono was talking about that. But perhaps my interpretation is incorrect.

i'm glad they're trying to focus on making the album rather than hyping it - if it's not up to scratch, it doesn't matter how much they talk it up - maybe B-man actually realises that this time :D

i'm glad they're trying to focus on making the album rather than hyping it - if it's not up to scratch, it doesn't matter how much they talk it up - maybe B-man actually realises that this time :D

Yes. And whether or not they actually achieve something great is one thing, but either way, I appreciate the effort that the band is taking to keep everything behind closed doors this time. It gives the perception that they really are trying to surprise us with something real special.

Yes. And whether or not they actually achieve something great is one thing, but either way, I appreciate the effort that the band is taking to keep everything behind closed doors this time. It gives the perception that they really are trying to surprise us with something real special.

And then the question that remains is whether or not we'll listen to this thing before the release date! :D

And then the question that remains is whether or not we'll listen to this thing before the release date! :D

I'll definitely listen to a leak if it happens, but no beach clips. In my experience, the beach clips can set unrealistic perceptions of what the songs will actually sound like, even though we get pretty strong hints of song structure.

This :up:

Not much...presumably Iovine was in the building so he made a joke.

Edge's "ready" refers to playing the song, it's not a clue for shutting Bono up (as if...).

Iovine liked Every breaking wave a lot during the NLOTH sessions.

Didn't make the cut for NLOTH.

But yes, he's huge in single choices with U2...

That said, I seem to remember McGuiness saying SATS didn't have enough help from the label back in the 90's.

Is anyone else worried that Bono's zipped lip might equal a lack of enthusiasm?

The lip has plenty of time to unzip till release date.

Interesting to hear mr Mouse is pushing Bono...might be the first producer to do that for them.

For anyone who was around during pre AB, what was the band saying then? I read Bono was to keep pretty quiet for that release. True?

I was around that time. But the internet not so. We had the stolen tapes from the AB-sessions and that was quite something. I remember hearing those early versions like UTTEOTW, horses and Ultraviolet made me go crazy. There was also Night and Day and Wild Irish rose. The was in my opinion more new music between LoveTown and AB. So what the band said was not very interesting. The AB-takes said a lot! The waiting now is all about talks and promises, but we've got no music. That makes that the time seems to go very slowly, although the gap between the last 360 gig and the coming album is longer than the wait 1990-1991....

For anyone who was around during pre AB, what was the band saying then? I read Bono was to keep pretty quiet for that release. True?

True. There were rumors that they were about to change directions and even make a "dance record", but that's because Bono said to someone that it was a "dense record". I remember the rumors were pretty strong that the album could really be a dance album.

I don't remember Bono talking too much in the press and mine and other friends reaction were of shock when we first heard the opening bars of Zoo Station.

True. There were rumors that they were about to change directions and even make a "dance record", but that's because Bono said to someone that it was a "dense record". I remember the rumors were pretty strong that the album could really be a dance album.

I don't remember Bono talking too much in the press and mine and other friends reaction were of shock when we first heard the opening bars of Zoo Station.

That must have been so amazing to go from that Joshua Tree/R&H transition to Achtung Baby.

I became a fan in 1992 so Achtung was my first impression of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom