New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short version: Fuck Jimmy Iovine

Fuck his no-talent-having non-creative-production and his fucking 'executive meddling'. He's the epitome of what is wrong with the major label music industry.

Go get your shine box, Jimmy and get back to Idol, you fucking fuck.

That is all.

Fuck his no-talent-having non-creative-production and his fucking 'executive meddling'. He's the epitome of what is wrong with the major label music industry.

That is all.

So just to confirm, if I were Jimmy Iovine, should I expect a Christmas card from you this year? :wink:

True. There were rumors that they were about to change directions and even make a "dance record", but that's because Bono said to someone that it was a "dense record". I remember the rumors were pretty strong that the album could really be a dance album.

I don't remember Bono talking too much in the press and mine and other friends reaction were of shock when we first heard the opening bars of Zoo Station.

Wasn't that the talk about Pop?

That must have been so amazing to go from that Joshua Tree/R&H transition to Achtung Baby.

I became a fan in 1992 so Achtung was my first impression of them.

It was mind-blowing. But many of my friends were infuriated with U2. I saw many of them leaving the U2 boat by that time cause they were really expecting another JT...

That is all.

I see that you interpret Bono's comment about Iovine the same way that I do.

That is all.

:applaud:

That is all.

Well, since I'm no longer worried about being the mean person in this thread, I guess I can say that in the R&H outtake of him at the beach house listening to rough songs, I thought he came off as kind of a douche.

But really, Iovine was in the house and Bono was making hostile remarks? Hm.

I'll definitely listen to a leak if it happens, but no beach clips. In my experience, the beach clips can set unrealistic perceptions of what the songs will actually sound like, even though we get pretty strong hints of song structure.

I held out for NLOTH, but didn't for HTDAAB. Not sure if I'll do the same this time around, since I felt a bit left out on the discussion for the new songs on here back in 2009! But I guess we'll see what happens.

Weirdly enough, I either never listened to the beach clips or did so very briefly when they came out. The 2004 ones only got a listen or two before I couldn't get past the sound quality, and I don't think I ever gave the 2006 or 2008 ones much of a listen until recently (including 'All My Life', which was talked about on here not too long ago).

I still haven't heard a lot of the 2008 ones, including Magnificent, but I am a bit curious in hindsight to hear them for any differences that might be there.

I still haven't heard a lot of the 2008 ones, including Magnificent, but I am a bit curious in hindsight to hear them for any differences that might be there.

You want to hear Crazy Tonight in this early version..I think it was labelled beach clip 5. Barely audible, but clearly a very different song. Didn't have the "it‘s not a hill, it's a mountain" bit if I remember.. instead it featured a drop chorus of slowly sung 'whoa-oh-ohs'

Soooooon

What do you guys think the odds are of "Soon" making the next record? Talk about a catchy song that doesn't scream "sell out" or make you cringe ...this is it!! U2 would be foolish to leave this off.

What do you guys think the odds are of "Soon" making the next record? Talk about a catchy song that doesn't scream "sell out" or make you cringe ...this is it!! U2 would be foolish to leave this off.

Not a chance in hell.

Welcome back, Rob.

It could have ended up in Songs of Ascent, but I highly doubt it will be on a Danger Mouse-produced album.

Here is the recap that I am going to ask to be put into the first post of this thread.

RECAP:
U2 seem to be aiming for late 2013 release for their next studio album. This target was confirmed by Adam in a recent radio interview, although it probably isn't absolutely chiseled in stone.

Meanwhile, two mutually exclusive rumors float around about a tour for next year. A journalist who claims to have connections in high places is spreading rumors of a 2014 "6x6" tour, in which U2 would visit six cities around the world (according to the journalist, these cities include Dublin and London) and perform six shows in each. This would be followed up by a normal tour in 2015. On the other hand, a fan who claims to have discussed the matter with Dallas Schoo (Edge's guitar tech) claims that Dallas denied such rumors and said that there are plans for a normal tour in 2014 instead.

Here is the recap that I am going to ask to be put into the first post of this thread.

RECAP:
U2 seem to be aiming for late 2013 release for their next studio album. This target was confirmed by Adam in a recent radio interview, although it probably isn't absolutely chiseled in stone.

Meanwhile, two mutually exclusive rumors float around about a tour for next year. A journalist who claims to have connections in high places is spreading rumors of a 2014 "6x6" tour, in which U2 would visit six cities around the world (according to the journalist, these cities include Dublin and London) and perform six shows in each. This would be followed up by a normal tour in 2015. On the other hand, a fan who claims to have discussed the matter with Dallas Schoo (Edge's guitar tech) claims that Dallas denied such rumors and said that there are plans for a normal tour in 2014 instead.

John Vanderslice Tweets it or it didn't happen.

You want to hear Crazy Tonight in this early version..I think it was labelled beach clip 5. Barely audible, but clearly a very different song. Didn't have the "it‘s not a hill, it's a mountain" bit if I remember.. instead it featured a drop chorus of slowly sung 'whoa-oh-ohs'

Thanks for the heads up. I could only find one of the those clips online through a Google search, but I'll keep my eye out for the rest somewhere. Would be interesting to hear that one from the sounds of it!

If there were to be leaks right now, I would listen to them, since Fall is so far away. I didn't listen to the NLOTH leak because the album was coming out a short time afterwards, anyway. I think I was the last person in the "Proud NLOTH Virgins" thread. My self-control was unsurpassed. :cool: :wink:

If there were to be leaks right now, I would listen to them, since Fall is so far away. I didn't listen to the NLOTH leak because the album was coming out a short time afterwards, anyway. I think I was the last person in the "Proud NLOTH Virgins" thread. My self-control was unsurpassed. :cool: :wink:

I view leaks, preview clips and beach clips differently. I wish i hadn't listened to either the beach clips or the preview clips before NLOTH. A leak is fine if it is the real deal, what's the difference? But I wish i had gone in knowing NOTHING. i hope to be able to hold out this time...

Meanwhile, in a far far land, The Cure made a concert with 54 songs. Well....

----

I only witnessed the birth of HTDAAB and NLOTH, and I listened to all of the leaks, beach clips, presumed album covers and all of the stuff. I don't know about this time, but I'm hoping not to do that. Too high expectations.

I can only dream about seeing the transition between JT/RH ~AB , and the Axtung Beibi stuff. It must have been a great time!

Well, I don't know why, it may have been because of the FTSD thing, but I'm feeling that this album comes in an atmosphere which is very alike to the AB one. I can't help hoping that this is gonna be an great album.

I think the band this time have 2 albums that they are planning to release, one that will be in a different direction, probably like Achtung Baby / Zooropa, more dance and heavy rythym. The other a more ambient sound that was referenced when Songs Of Ascent was being tossed about.

Flood fans with 20-24 new songs, and then tour with rotating songs. See what the fans react to. I don't see the "radio single" being effective for them as a marketing tool. Just release the albums, maybe as close as 3-6 months apart before touring. Making a Fall 2013 and Late Winter 2013 release, then start touring Spring 2014 thru 2015 at indoor venues, with a month break between continents.

I have to believe that they have been productive, recording and probably had material left over from 2009 to create 2 very good albums. They are not getting any younger, just make the best you can and release it to fans.

I would also expect U2.com to be a bigger platform for them now as far as getting new songs (singles) out to the fans.

It's a do or die time for the band. They could easily live off unreleased material, remasters and re-releases, but they have to create something very good before fading away.

I think the band this time have 2 albums that they are planning to release, one that will be in a different direction, probably like Achtung Baby / Zooropa, more dance and heavy rythym. The other a more ambient sound that was referenced when Songs Of Ascent was being tossed about.

Flood fans with 20-24 new songs, and then tour with rotating songs. See what the fans react to. I don't see the "radio single" being effective for them as a marketing tool. Just release the albums, maybe as close as 3-6 months apart before touring. Making a Fall 2013 and Late Winter 2013 release, then start touring Spring 2014 thru 2015 at indoor venues, with a month break between continents.

I have to believe that they have been productive, recording and probably had material left over from 2009 to create 2 very good albums. They are not getting any younger, just make the best you can and release it to fans.

I would also expect U2.com to be a bigger platform for them now as far as getting new songs (singles) out to the fans.

It's a do or die time for the band. They could easily live off unreleased material, remasters and re-releases, but they have to create something very good before fading away.

I'd LOVE this. But it's HIGHLY unlikely to happen.

Nice take. I know one thing U2 needs to release something this year. It would be discouraging if we have to wait till 2014 (5 years since NLOTH!!). Songs like NLOTH & MOS make me a believer they have another JT/AB up their sleeves.

There doing 2 things right this time:

1. Being Stealth and not overhyping
2. Having DangerMouse on board.

The last thing they need to do is just release the album. Since ATYCLB the way the band has promoted each album is tired. Just put the music out and let it do the talking. It really looks like their going towards a new direction AB 2.0

I think I've seen enough of a pattern from U2 to lead me to believe that the chances of 2 albums are .00000000000001%.

I think we should all slow the hype train down a little. All this talk of reinvention and Achtung Baby 2.0 is great speculation but needs a cold shower since there is absolutely nothing to indicate this is what is coming down the pipes.

Personally I am expecting a new album by the end of this year, possibly early next year but given their preference for 4th quarter releases my money is on a Oct/Nov 2013 release date.

Beyond that, I have no other expectations. I hope its a change-up sonically but I'm also prepared for another basic NLOTH sounding album.

I will be shocked if they release more than one album and the album itself is more than 11 tracks.

I think we should all slow the hype train down a little. All this talk of reinvention and Achtung Baby 2.0 is great speculation but needs a cold shower since there is absolutely nothing to indicate this is what is coming down the pipes.

Personally I am expecting a new album by the end of this year, possibly early next year but given their preference for 4th quarter releases my money is on a Oct/Nov 2013 release date.

Beyond that, I have no other expectations. I hope its a change-up sonically but I'm also prepared for another basic NLOTH sounding album.

I will be shocked if they release more than one album and the album itself is more than 11 tracks.

Yeah, I think that's the best way to look at it as well. Not to say it's impossible for the band to reinvent themselves, but I'm not sure that it's needed at this point. Reinvention in your mid 50's could easily be setting yourself up for backlash. It was cool when they were in their early 30's at the peak of popularity. Now it may come across more like "Look at those old guys trying way too hard". Not to say they should play it safe either.

Personally, I'm hoping for a cohesive album with no songs like Stand Up Comedy or Crazy Tonight that seemed like the band stretching for hits.

My expectations:
1. U2 will release one new album in the future, hopefully within the next 15 months. Hopefully sooner.
2. Said album will contain at least 8 songs.
3. There will be one song on the album that I will like a little bit. Hopefully more than one. Hopefully I like it/them more than a little bit.

Anything above and beyond that will be bonus gravy for me.

50+ year old guys putting out a "dance/heavy rhythm" record? Yeah, because that worked out so well for them when they were 30+ year old guys putting out a dance record.

I can't say for sure what kind of record U2 will put out (though I think I have an idea), but I'm pretty certain it won't be a dance album.

Hard to "re-invent" when they've already covered almost every pop musical style around. They can revisit previously-covered territory, but that's abiut it.

And half of NLOTH wasn't "basic-sounding", at least not compared to the previous two albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom