New album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven Oaks

Babyface
I was merely wondering what the next U2 album may be like. Do you think they will continue to play it safe or will they start experimenting again? What are your views?

No doubt we'll find out when it's released TOMORROW!!!!!!!

(Please revive this thread a day before the next album comes out)

yes and it is relevant now because there are an awful lot of people on this site who think that the last two have been very safe.

They have one more to go in this current era, and then they'll move on for the next three albums, and so on.

excuse me?
perhaps you missed the underlying thoughts in the post...i can't bloody stand the state U2's in at the moment and can't wait for them to move on, I'm fully aware of the 'math'...

did you fart or something?

You feel the same way I felt in 1993 after having to hear the worst U2 song ever put to tape: Dirty Day.

Still, I had to suffer through Pop and it's bandwagon-jumping.

But, the sun did rise.

Last edited:
aaw man, I love Dirty Day! :huh:
i feel sorry for you having to go through 'Pop'...i thought 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' was an amazing album but for some reason '...Atomic Bomb' just sounds incredibly dull after a year! not really what it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:
thanks.

i thought i'd edit it since you actually put something worthwhile in the post above so i thought i'd respond civilly...next time i won't bother.

I think it's crap that you guys think they do stuff in "trilogies." Maybe I'm deaf, but I don't hear any connection between ATYCLB and HTDAAB. No songs on ATYCLB sound like Vertigo, Fast Cars, Mercy, or Love and Peace or Else. And to me AB, Zooropa, and Pop are 3 very different sounding albums. :eyebrow:

Enough.

Mr. Brau why dont you go back to the Zoo Confessionals thread and post. Its much more pleasurable to the eyes to read.

IrishDawg said:
I think it's crap that you guys think they do stuff in "trilogies." Maybe I'm deaf, but I don't hear any connection between ATYCLB and HTDAAB. No songs on ATYCLB sound like Vertigo, Fast Cars, Mercy, or Love and Peace or Else. And to me AB, Zooropa, and Pop are 3 very different sounding albums. :eyebrow:

finally someone else who thinks the trilogy theory is BS

i think people say they're in trilogies surely for convenience!

nowadays it doesn't really work since the last two albums admittedly sound very different but back in the 80's it seems to work to an extent [boy/october/war], though I'm not sure about Rattle and Hum sitting with Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

finally someone else who thinks the trilogy theory is BS

Glad I'm not the only one. The only things I read here lately are "they'll complete the trilogy with the new album" and "The new album will be 2006 a la Zooropa!" Both of which are BS.

And I even fail to see much resemblence between Boy/October/War. Boy sounded like 80's new wave with a bit of punk, October was Edge w/ his landscape echo sounds (so if anything October sounds more like JT to me) and War sounds like 4 pissed off Irish guys rockin' out. :rockon:

I do see the connection between UF and JT though.

The trilogy theory is not meant to imply that the albums in each trilogy sound the same. The trilogies simply separate the major changes in U2's career. War>TUF was a huge change for them. R&H>Achtung Baby was another huge change. Pop>ATYCLB was the third huge change of there career. Whether by coincidence or not, between each of these changes there are 3 studio albums. That's not to say that all of the albums within the trilogies sound the same because they don't. But they are not drastic, career altering changes like the ones mentioned before.

So it is only natural for people to expect one more album without any DRASTIC changes and then for U2 to go in a completely different direction after that. They, of course are under no obligation to do this. That is just the pattern they have set.

Hoodlem said:
The trilogy theory is not meant to imply that the albums in each trilogy sound the same. The trilogies simply separate the major changes in U2's career. War>TUF was a huge change for them. R&H>Achtung Baby was another huge change. Pop>ATYCLB was the third huge change of there career. Whether by coincidence or not, between each of these changes there are 3 studio albums. That's not to say that all of the albums within the trilogies sound the same because they don't. But they are not drastic, career altering changes like the ones mentioned before.

So it is only natural for people to expect one more album without any DRASTIC changes and then for U2 to go in a completely different direction after that. They, of course are under no obligation to do this. That is just the pattern they have set.

well said.

1stepcloser said:
Quote from Bono in this months Q Magazine - "we'll make a new U2 album in 2006. I want to serve these men"

:drool:

Just because they start making the new album doesn't mean they'll finish in 2006. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I just don't realistically see an album in 2006 happening.

Back
Top Bottom