NEVERMIND VS TEN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YEAH WHAT ABOUT SOUNDGARDEN

They were the reason Sub Pop was formed, they were the reason Nirvana signed to to Sub Pop.

Superuknown is like the only album that has 15 songs that you could listen to all the way through. Plus before that they put out Badmotorfinger, that album is pure hard rock/metal bliss.

Outshined, Slaves & Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose.

Soundgarden were awesome, Chris Cornell was the second coming of Robert Plant.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I love them both, but I'll have to go with Ten. And yes, Superunknown is fucking great as well! I used to listen to that all the time...ahh, the memories of high school.

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

Definitely Ten
Almost perfect, and it was their debut album. Ah, the memories. I mean, who here doesn't sing the f##k part in Jeremy every time they hear it? After seeing them live, I am more appreciative of Pearl Jam. And whoever said Yield is thier best, I almost agree..It's second only toVs...................................................................Of course, none of them are ACHTUNG BABY!!!!

------------------
N A T E

We Need New Dreams Tonight

[This message has been edited by njf77 (edited 12-17-2001).]

My vote goes to Ten. I think Vs. is the best Pearl Jam album, and In Utero is the best Nirvana album. Gish is also amazing. I was never a big fan of Soundgarden though. Anyway, Ten is the better of the two.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Fuck this. Lets have everyone's thoughts on Trout Mask Replica vs Fables of the Reconstruction!
Seriously though, these comparisons are a bit silly. I like both albums and both bands for (mostly) different reasons. Sadly, both of these albums have been emulated, ripped off and outright aped to the point where it's hard for me to really enjoy Nevermind or Ten on their own merits. I keep hearing the ghosts of Bush, Silverchair, Creed... etc ad nauseum. Not to mention the jaw dropping stupidity expressed in the average Eddie Vedder/Kurt Cobain interview circa 1992-4. Really, has there ever been such a pair of narcissistic and self-important assholes in rock history? How could such morons be so gifted? How could such idiots write such moving music?
In that sense I really do enjoy Vitalogy and In Utero more. They may or may not be better than Ten and Nevermind but at least I can listen to them without as much baggage.

MAP

Thanks guys for your input! I don't know why people like comparing these two albums but they do!

I personally feel that Nevermind was a great album, but I also feel its way over-rated. I agree with most of you, UTERO is a much MUCH better album! People always say the lyrics are ground-breaking, but to me they are not that spectacular! I'm not saying Kurt wasn't not a talented writer he was, but most of his lyrics I feel were just his ego talking!!

Ten - to me is just more full of emotionally gut-wrenching songs and the lyrics just seem more emotionally and truthful. And I like every song, although yeah a song or two a bit weak.

I think TEN is Pearl Jams best album but I also think VS and Yield are right up there!
I don't think Pearl Jam went down the hill since TEN they just went into obscurity! And even though their work through out the years has not been as innovative as their early years I give them credit for still staying together!

Soundgarden also deserves some honorable mention as well!
wink.gif

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

My vote gose to TEN, and by a long shot... I still can put that album in a cd player and sing ecery word. Black is one of my favorite songs ever

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Not to mention the jaw dropping stupidity expressed in the average Eddie Vedder/Kurt Cobain interview circa 1992-4. Really, has there ever been such a pair of narcissistic and self-important assholes in rock history? How could such morons be so gifted? How could such idiots write such moving music?
In that sense I really do enjoy Vitalogy and In Utero more. They may or may not be better than Ten and Nevermind but at least I can listen to them without as much baggage.

MAP

There was no other pair like that, BUT there was one man like that that could cover them both, and his name is Bono (you know the one - from U2)

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

The correct answer is SUPERUNKNOWN.

Nevermind and Ten are both great albums, but both not worthy of the blind praise they recieve by most. Most hardcore Nirvana fans to kneel at the knees of In-utero and in my mind Vitalogy was PJ's best album. To keep saying after all these years that Ten is PJ's best is like saying that U2 was all downhill after Boy.

Soundgarden had all the potential to be the biggest grunge band of them all, but I think they just had the wrong timing.

Back
Top Bottom