Need some help clarifying some live versions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Okay, I left the net running last night, got in a bit of shit, but that's okay. I was downloading some U2 live tracks (found Ultraviolet, but I didn't have enough sources :headbang: ) but don't know where or when they are. These are the titles as they came up on Limewire:

Bob Marley - Knocking on Heaven's Door - (Reggae-Oldies) - U2, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan - (live in LA)
Anyone have this? Did U2 actually perform it or was it just Bono? It's a pretty shoddy version.

U2 - one (best live acoustic ever)
Okay, I'm gonna have to try and describe it... guitar kicks in at 0:16sec, there is no Larry evident at all, and during the first verse you can barely hear the guitar, just Bono singing. The crowd sings loudly with him, you can hear it clearly. It sounds like there is strings or organ held throughout. 2:05 they become really prominent, the string section. The last 16 seconds are the 'do you hear me coming, Lord?' verse, but it cuts out the second time Bono sings 'do you hear me coming, Lord?'. I'd estimate there'd be about another 20-30 seconds left.

I also found U2 - with or without you (acoustic) But it obviously isn't, and it sounds veryy similar to the version on Rattle and Hum, just not as clear, maybe it's from another Lovetown or JT show.

Any help appreciated!

the second one is actually edge, bono, brian eno and an orchestra. This version is from the War Child Concert and is the same concert where Bono and Edge did Miss Sarajevo with Pavarotti. WOWY acoustic I have never heard of this how long is the track?

COBL_04 said:

Bob Marley - Knocking on Heaven's Door - (Reggae-Oldies) - U2, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan - (live in LA)
Anyone have this? Did U2 actually perform it or was it just Bono? It's a pretty shoddy version.
Knockin on Heaven's Door is a Bob Dylan song. I highly doubt Bono and Bob Marley ever recorded being that Bob died in 81. So I'm not sure what this is.

COBL_04 said:

U2 - one (best live acoustic ever)
It's by far the best version, I wouldn't call it acoustic though.

Thanks still_running, just wondering what year and/or tour it was on? I'm assuming it was in between tours, if it was with Pavarotti. That was the Bono shaved days yes?

Thanks BonoVoxSupastar, that's a fiar point you bring up. I have no idea either, I'm pretty sure I can hear Bono, surely it has nothing to do with bob Marley.

COBL_04 said:
Thanks still_running, just wondering what year and/or tour it was on? I'm assuming it was in between tours, if it was with Pavarotti. That was the Bono shaved days yes?

Thanks BonoVoxSupastar, that's a fiar point you bring up. I have no idea either, I'm pretty sure I can hear Bono, surely it has nothing to do with bob Marley.

here is video of the event, no bald Bono, luckily (although he's wearing a cap) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSuR6ldh1TA&mode=related&search=

I've got audio of U2 singing knocking on Heaven's Door, but definently no bob Marley

I think the Knockin On Heaven's Door may be from the LA April 18th 1987 show. Bob Dylan joined U2 on stage and they sang the song together. I think the Bob Marley part is just an error in how it was listed. U2 would tack the Bob Marley song Exodus on the end of I Still Havent Found at most Joshua Tree shows, but it was just U2 doing a few verses of the song.

They did do a duet at the Smile Jamaica show in 1988 during Love Rescue Me with Ziggy Marley.

the Knockin' On Heaven's Door is the LA show that Blue Room mentioned. the One (best live acoustic ever) is the Pavarotti & Friends show mentioned above.

Those are the filenames of the versions of these two tracks that are shared on many peer-to-peer networks. I used to have the same exact ones, both of which acquired from Ares.

schnumi said:
They also did knockin on heaven's door at the elevation Miami show (last show of the tour).

They have covered the song many times in concert. But I believe they have only done it once with Bob Dylan which was the LA 87 show referred to previously.

Blue Room said:

They have covered the song many times in concert. But I believe they have only done it once with Bob Dylan which was the LA 87 show referred to previously.
That could be yes. :)

Back
Top Bottom