NEED HELP !!!! MTV2 & Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starr

The Fly
NEED HELP !!!! ME, MTV2 & Bono

Hey All You Crazy Cats !!!!

I have a little dilemma, I am being taped tomorrow for MTV2 to discuss Bono. I have 5minutes to discuss anything I want on Bono. Which isn't that hard to do but I am representing the fans & would like some feedback what you guys think should be discussed. The topic is why Bono deserves to be on the list of the 22 greatest voices and they want a fans point of view.

So if you all would be so kind to let me know what you think I should be discussing since I representing "you the fans" would be much appreciated. Remember it can be on anything regarding Bono.

Thanks much

Last edited:
Wow, how'd you work that out? Just discussion *about* him, I dunno, maybe help to give more attention to the issues in Africa?

Last edited:
well, there's so much you can say about Bono....but if the topic is about the 22 greatest voices....I think he has one of the most recognizable voices...and his voice also has so much diversity, think if how diff. he sounds now then on Boy... :shrug:

and yeah, what Beth said, his commitments to global politics, he's genuine, he doesn't just start something and forget about it after a while.

bonosloveslave said:
Wow, how'd you work that out? Just discussion *about* him, I dunno, maybe help to give more attention to the issues in Africa?

A friend of mine was like MTV2 is looking for someone in NYC to talk about Bono & sent me the questions i had to answer..i filled it out & they called me saying that they wanted me to come down to the studio to tape (which is tomorrow).

They said they would like me to talk 5 minutes (which is a really long time) about Bono on anything i want. They also want me to bring whole bunch of U2 stuff because that will be my back drop. wish i had more time cause i would have loved to get pics from everyone here to print out. But i don't think my time frame helps..Just found out on friday & i have been racking my brain all weekend on what to talk about. Now since this is fan thing, i want to make sure that i represent the U2 fan community, in the way the fan woud like...So that's why posted for help...

I thought i would bring up his causes...anything else?

Last edited:
I wish I got MTV2! When is it going to air? I might be able to talk a friend into letting me borrow their tv.
Good luck, Starr! I'm sure you won't let us down.

brdemi said:
I wish I got MTV2! When is it going to air? I might be able to talk a friend into letting me borrow their tv.
Good luck, Starr! I'm sure you won't let us down.

thanks for the kind words..i hope i don't let you all down...

I am not sure when its going air..i will find out tomorrow..hopefully they use me, not sure if they have like list of people & they pick the best..will know morr tomorrow after i tape.

Be Careful. Those fan shows can sometimes make the fan and artist look like a fool. I actually think that's what they go for sometimes.

MrBrau1 said:
Be Careful. Those fan shows can sometimes make the fan and artist look like a fool. I actually think that's what they go for sometimes.

Yeah, that's why i wanted some feedback on what to discuss...from what they tell me...This is what its about...MTV2 is having a count down on the 22 greatest voices..Bono happens to be on list not sure what number he is but you can vote on MTV2 for him. They are going to have some music expert talk about him & then they want what the fans think of him. So, from what i think they are gonna make me talk about him for 5 minutes & probably edit it.

My concern is that since i am representing "the fans" i want to make sure..i do it right. So, i want make sure that FOOL making doesn't happen !!!! Thats why i asked for some feedback...

I know i am going to bring up his causes & i want to bring up the U2 Fan community as well not sure how to postion that yet...would like to give interference there props, as well the U2NYC newsgroup..I am so very stuck !!!!

I think if you keep the focus on the music you'll be fine. I think it's good to respect the man because of his beliefs and convictions, but the music is the ultimate reason he's a star. Look at their back catalog, U2 have really done everything, and done it well.

maybe mention Bono's vocal abilities. examples could be his low sexy voice (velvet dress, wowy, running to stand still), or his amazing falsetto (the fly, bad, etc), or his soaring long notes (pride, one, etc.)
also maybe mention his incredible lyrical abilities.

maybe also mentio he's the coolest rock star on the planet who also gives a shit about people and humanity.

also, his backing band is not so bad either.:sexywink:

good luck!!

Well, I would say first thing is not to come off like an infatuated schoolgirl. Which is what many of us probably look like when we get to discuss U2/Bono to anyone. :) This will help to make both you and Bono more legitimate than just - "He's the best, I love him, they're my life" sort of thing.

Second, if it's talking about voices, I would just throw in some stuff about their great diversity, from the more rough, punkish, shouting of Boy/October/War to the softer sideand more anthemic with UF, to the soaring of JT, to the bluesy R&H, then to the complete reinvention with Achtung/Zooropa/Pop while still soaring and powerful but with some falsetto and distortion thrown in.

Maybe talk about their amazing live performances, and also about all the people that Bono has sung with over the years. (Sting, Dylan, Poveratti, Bruce, Lou Reed, Willie Nelson, Johny Cash, etc... I'm sure the list is endless).

Good luck and have fun.

womanfish said:

Maybe talk about their amazing live performances, and also about all the people that Bono has sung with over the years. (Sting, Dylan, Poveratti, Bruce, Lou Reed, Willie Nelson, Johny Cash, etc... I'm sure the list is endless).

THAT is a good idea! A few more are Frank Sinatra, Sinead O'Connor, BB King, Wyclef, The Corrs, Michael Hutchence, T-Bone Burnett, Peter Gabriel, Gavin.....

womanfish said:
Well, I would say first thing is not to come off like an infatuated schoolgirl. Which is what many of us probably look like when we get to discuss U2/Bono to anyone. :) This will help to make both you and Bono more legitimate than just - "He's the best, I love him, they're my life" sort of thing.

Hey! I represent that statement! :sexywink:

Second, if it's talking about voices, I would just throw in some stuff about their great diversity, from the more rough, punkish, shouting of Boy/October/War to the softer sideand more anthemic with UF, to the soaring of JT, to the bluesy R&H, then to the complete reinvention with Achtung/Zooropa/Pop while still soaring and powerful but with some falsetto and distortion thrown in.
I agree with everything here, and I would like to add that while his voice has changed throughout the years, it's always unmistakeably Bono. The difference in his voice from Boy to ATYCLB is remarkable, but both demonstrate those elongated vowels, the ability to change from high to low and back again, the "woooo's" (if you know what I'm talking about...) etc.

I'm not sure if any of that made any sense. The words I typed don't match the ones in my head. Anyway, that's really cool that you got picked! Good luck! Have fun!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom