Native Son is U2's Best song EVER!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, now, after listening, oups, i meant reading the description a few more times, a really love the song. But still, it's kind of unfinished which is expected, and a little weird song.... :wink:

dobro815 said:
I don't know if there is a video. Native Son WOULD be on the top 40 for just as long. Everything is basically the same, except NS is a little more rocking at the beginning, and the lyrics flow better. It is also on a topic which is more understandable than Vertigo. I mean, UNO DOS TRES CATORCE. Thats some weird stuff, though it is a classic i might add. The song was made for Native Son, and should have been kept Native Son.

Yeah, everything is basically the same except for NS is missing the awesome bass and drum beat of Vertigo and the catchy chorus.

IMO, no way in hell Native Son would have been a successful single. I've listened to this song probably 20 times and I still can't understand what Bono says most of the time(without reading the lyrics). There needs to usually be some vocal hooks in a song to make it crack the charts. NS has a great guitar line, but that's about it.

There's a reason Native Son turned to Vertigo- because Vertigo is superior in every possible way!

The lyrics are clearly understandable, you just have to want to hear them. I personally like the electric guitar in songs. I think it plays more of a role in this NS, which is why I like it more. I also think the chorus flows better than Vertigo.

I think the lyrics are crap. The idea behind the lyrics does more for me than the idea behind the lyrics in "Vertigo." But the execution is subpar. So I think changing the themes led to a better song, even if less controversial. Again, I think "Native Son" could have been a good song, but the lyrics are a bit too shabby even if Bono's heart was in the right place.

dobro815 said:
The lyrics are clearly understandable, you just have to want to hear them. I personally like the electric guitar in songs. I think it plays more of a role in this NS, which is why I like it more. I also think the chorus flows better than Vertigo.

LOL, believe me I want to hear them. "Clearly understandable" would be a song like Miracle Drug or even Vertigo. The chorus vocals in NS are way too low in the mix and not real clear; the only part that is decipherable right away is "it's so hard for a native son to be free"--which is why this would fail bitterly as a single.

Thankfully Larry and Adam put the kibosh on releasing the album last year when Native Son would have been put on the record. (Although they should have left Xanax and Wine the way it was)

UnforgettableLemon said:
I think the lyrics are crap. The idea behind the lyrics does more for me than the idea behind the lyrics in "Vertigo." But the execution is subpar. So I think changing the themes led to a better song, even if less controversial. Again, I think "Native Son" could have been a good song, but the lyrics are a bit too shabby even if Bono's heart was in the right place.

Maybe the "idea" of the lyrics behind Native Son scared Bono. He's been talking all the time lately on how he doesn't want to piss of fans in the U.S., so perhaps he didn't want to alienate fans who don't agree with his thoughts on gun control.

I mean, I went to 3 Elevation Tour shows in the Midwest where hunting and sport shooting are huge. When the anti-gun video montage came up before Bullet, at each of the shows I was at, the crowd were booing big time. Sure some people in the audience did cheer, but they were totally outnumbered. In fact, in the bootlegs i have of the shows I was at, you can hear that most people started cheering when Heston gave his line "a gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing, but a gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anybody, except bad people." Basically this was a flop judging on the shows I was at (although it probably got a different reaction in the big metropolitian areas). I'm not sure if U2 really want to irritate a good chunk of their U.S. audience, being that lately they've been more concerned about the "biggest band in the world" than anything else.

Last edited:
Off topic:

I just remembered how awesome the gun control montage was before bullet was on the Elevation tour. One of the things I'm looking forward to most on the next tour is how they incorperate Bullet into the new album/tour theme (whatever that will be).

Edge's solo....:drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
www.itunes.com

full descriptions of all songs are available there... ya cheapos

Native Son is under the unreleased and rare section. You can only buy it if you purchase the boxed set for $150 (or $100 with ipod purchase). It is not for individual sale yet.

Back
Top Bottom