Native Son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripThroughWire

The Fly
I just heard for the first time "Native Son" from a homemade videoclip in UTube:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch v=DedvvwBRoR4&mode=related&search=

It's clearly Vertigo. Does anyone know something about the genesis of this song and its transformation into Vertigo ?

For example I was surprised by the guitar riff which is very very similar to the Vertigo one. Edge describes about the origin of this riff in the Chicago DVD bonus, but I didn't remember anything about "Native Son"

It started out as Native Son when they were working with Chris Thomas I think.
After Lillywhite joined, Bono and Edge re-wrote the lyrics and changed some of the music.

Native Son is nice, but is lacks the Lillywhite Glossy Sheen (TM) and some of the lyrics seem silly to me, compared to Vertigo.

And that's saying something :eyebrow:

I can understand why some people like this version better than Vertigo, but the sound is so bland and the lyrics are just not there for me that I can't help but write it off. I listen to it, I enjoy it, but I think Vertigo has a ton more punch to it.

Native Son sounds like it's trying to be something it's not, unlike Vertigo.

But the bridge in Native Son is amazing.

AtomicBono said:
Native Son sounds like it's trying to be something it's not, unlike Vertigo.

But the bridge in Native Son is amazing.

well said :up:

to answer the poster:

The Edge knicked the riff from Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots" and made "Full Metal Jacket"

then Full Metal Jacket -> Native Son - > Vertigo/catchy iPod jingle.

TripThroughWire said:

Full Metal Jacket is a U2 song ?
Is it possible to hear that somewhere ?
As far as I know, it was never recorded. Edge's early take on the song was called "Full Metal Jacket" as a working title.

Bono once said about Native Son that they transformed it into Vertigo because Native Son was too politically loaded, and they didn't think it would make a good single because of that.

Most stupid decision they ever made imho.

Back
Top Bottom