native son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
this song is sexy. especially the chorus.

the lyrics are also so much better than on vertigo.

if they had only worked a bit more on this song instead of throwing it away...it's a shame!

anyway, this is a great song. i'm enjoying pretty much all of these b-sides. :up:

It's "Vertigo," except less fun. I like it, but I'm glad they turned it into "Vertigo."

My opinion is that Vertigo is better lyrically, but Native Son is better musically.

My opinion is that the lyrics suck and that the chorus sounds extremely annoying. This song is inferior in every possible way.

Sorry I'm in a bad mood.

I like the background vocals much better on Native Son. More melodic. Less... party?

Only thing I prefer in Native Son is Edge's backup vocals "On the run..." as the chorus begins, etc. Sounds quite punk-rock-venusey.

Canadiens1160 said:
Only thing I prefer in Native Son is Edge's backup vocals "On the run..." as the chorus begins, etc. Sounds quite punk-rock-venusey.

Agreed.

Native Son is a very cool song, but Vertigo was the right choice. Much more radio friendly.

Zoomerang96 said:
if they had only worked a bit more on this song instead of throwing it away...it's a shame!

Actually Native Son is a final version song. It was recorded and had a final mix, what you've heard from iTunes. And they did work on it more, the final result is Vertigo. An altogether better tune. Native Son is a return to U2's foray into politics, and it's intriguing, but as a single...no.

madonna's child said:
Native Son is a very cool song, but Vertigo was the right choice. Much more radio friendly.

that's horrible

i'm sorry but it is. you justify it as "the right choice" because it's "much more radio friendly"?!

brutal.

Last edited:
In truth, the reason I prefer "Vertigo" is because of its ambiguity. "Native Son" is a bit too direct, though I think if they had maybe used the same themes, gun control, brutality et al, and made the character less biographical, I'd have liked it more. U2 doesn't do well with specifics for me. Some people it just works better. Like Bob Dylan's "Hurricane" or Bruce Springsteen's "American Skin (41 Shots)"

The chorus is cool, and the music is better. The lyrics in both songs are "dodgy".

What's the ultimate difference? Vertigo is more radio-friendly, more digestable.

So that's the song you got. This is the new era of U2 for better or worse, they want on the radio and many of us just want them to be interesting. There isnt much on the radio worth a damn.

I do miss the "All of this..." part from Vertigo in Native Son...

...altho that kickass bridge can do it for me 2

Numbology said:
native son is one of U2's best songs EVER.

Yeah, Streets is shit, WOWY and One are pointless drivel, Heartland sounds like a strangled cat, Sunday Bloody Sunday is meaningless ...

Come on. There's no way Native Son is even CLOSE to being one of U2's best songs. If it was that good, it wouldn't have been discarded.

Axver said:

Yeah, Streets is shit, WOWY and One are pointless drivel, Heartland sounds like a strangled cat, Sunday Bloody Sunday is meaningless ...

Come on. There's no way Native Son is even CLOSE to being one of U2's best songs. If it was that good, it wouldn't have been discarded.

:up:

i don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but does anyone else think that the edge is singing the

Don't want to run away
This isn't in my father's plans
I know I can't stay
If I stay I know what's next

part?

james

I think they made the right choice in the long run.

Native Son could never have showcased Atomic Bomb in the way Vertigo has.

There are lots of things about Native Son I like, especially the raw feel of it, and arguably the lyrics are better, but Vertigo is much more polished.

(Plus I know one, two, three, fourteen, in spanish now.)

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

^

that part owns

as for the rest of song, I prefer Vertigo, but the FREEEEEEEEEE bridge is spine-tingling

that note might be a bit hard for Bono to hold during shows though, it's even longer than the SING in SYCMIOYO

Last edited:
Irishteen said:
Vertigo single quality, Native Son album quality, I want it on a album, it isn't radio friendly but is great.
That's an interesting way to put it.

"Native Son" has grown on me since this thread was started (and I've also grown even more sick of "Vertigo" since then), although I still agree with UnforgettableLemon's overall sentiment that it's too direct lyrically to really work.

blueyedpoet said:
can anyone post the name of the guy the song is about?

Its about me! I was so mad when they told me they were going to turn my song into Vertigo! :wink:

Seriously I like the song but don't know who it is about. I love the part where the guitar is heavy insteed of the "All of this can be yours" bridge.

Back
Top Bottom