Naming the Phases of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I had to do a lot of writting today and in the process I listened through the entire U2 catalogue (not a good idea cause I did not focus as much as I should). Doing so made me aware again of the very distinct phases that U2 has gone through and that reminded me of a quote out of "U2 Three Chords and the Truth" in which the author calls the first phase of U2 (Boy - War) "They Boy" in which it is about the Bono-child.

That got me thinking how I would name all the U2 phases, so here goes.

The Boy - Boy, October, War

The Passion - UF, JT, RH,

The Testing - AB, Zooropa, Pop

The Man - ATYLB, HTDAAB

Ok what would you name them?

WinnieThePoo said:
not the man , the grown-UP

I think the man fits really well, my wife was listening to Hut dab the other day and she came back from the gym commenting about how masculine Bono sounds on these last two albums. Strength, passion, wisdom, etc.

I think she is right.

The Birth (of the Band) - Boy , October , War UF

The Pusuit (of the world) - JT , R&H, AB

The Extravagant - Zooropa , POP

The 2nd Coming - ATYCLB, HTDAAB

U2_Guy said:
ATYCLB, HTDAAB - The Boredom

You're really funny, "kiddo" with that very original username. Every time you come in here you bash and spit. You could include the other eras and say what you think of them, but nooooo... only this provocation. But the funniest thing about you? I was browsing the forum and saw the legendary "It's here!" thread where album leaked. Your first reaction about HTDAAB?
OH MY GOD! IT'S A MASTERPIECE! IT'S INCREDIBLE! CLASSIC! FORGET ATYCLB!

The point of this is: shut up already. We get it. I'm not at all against this bashing. Fine. But if you keep provoking and saying what you already said 1000 times and destroying these kind of threads with your negativity, get lost.

...you NAME your U2 phases??! :hmm

I just name them by album, personally...!

djerdap said:

You're really funny, "kiddo" with that very original username. Every time you come in here you bash and spit. You could include the other eras and say what you think of them, but nooooo... only this provocation. But the funniest thing about you? I was browsing the forum and saw the legendary "It's here!" thread where album leaked. Your first reaction about HTDAAB?
OH MY GOD! IT'S A MASTERPIECE! IT'S INCREDIBLE! CLASSIC! FORGET ATYCLB!

The point of this is: shut up already. We get it. I'm not at all against this bashing. Fine. But if you keep provoking and saying what you already said 1000 times and destroying these kind of threads with your negativity, get lost.

At first listen it surely sounds good. Fooled this old pro here.

But...i gave it a week...it gets worst everytime...

Other phases till ATYCLB are all magic. And yea, HTDAAB is better than ATYCLB... like that's not easy...

My fans are asking, i'll deliver it for the masses:

Boy, October, War = The Post-Punk Years

TUF = Experimental Stadium Years Part.I

TJT, RAH = America's Infatuation Years

AB, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop = Experimental Stadium Years Part. II AKA Best Records Ever Made in History

ATYCLB, HTDAAB = The Boredom Years

I'm sorry...U2_Gay... I'll grow up and dream being an old pro like you.

djerdap said:
I'm sorry...U2_Gay... I'll grow up and dream being an old pro like you.

First of all, kiddo: i'm not gay.

Second of all, kiddo, don't call me gay like being gay was a bad thing. It is not. Many gays on this forum won't like your attempt.

Third of all, kiddo: it's because of rednecks like you and your supreme redneck leader that the world is in this shitty position now. Do us a favour: get lost, we don't need rednecks here.

Hehehehe... Didn't mean to insult you. Just a typing failure. ;)
Funny how you get insulted by something which is a "bad thing". And you call me a redneck...

AND...a public apology to all the gay people on this forum. I have got nothing against gay people. Maybe U2_Guy based on his reaction does...

Last edited:
djerdap said:
Hehehehe... Didn't mean to insult you. Just a typing failure. ;)
Funny how you get insulted by something which is a "bad thing". And you call me a redneck...

AND...a public apology to all the gay people on this forum. I have got nothing against gay people. Maybe U2_Guy based on his reaction does...

When did i say you were insulting me you moron? Just when and where? I said: "don't call me gay like being gay was a bad thing. It is not. Many gays on this forum won't like your attempt."

I knew rednecks have a reading disability but not to this level...

djerdap said:

Funny how you get insulted by something which is a "bad thing".

So you keep thinking being gay is a bad thing?

Writing and reading disability or just being a redneck?

OK, this has really gone too far. Touchy fellow, aren't ya? Just because of your temper, we don't have to start a war here! Let's talk like people and U2 fans, alright?

djerdap said:

shut up already... get lost.

Start a war? My temper? "Let's talk like people and U2 fans, alright?"

Appologize first, then we can talk.

I did not start anything with you.

Dalton said:
Don't worry about U2_Guy. He's a good person with very, VERY narrow taste in music.

another interesting fact about him is that he only likes one movie.

Brigette Jones Diary.

Narrow taste in music?? I like from Bobby Darin till Love, from Stones to Stone Roses, from Joy Division to Gus Gus, from Led Zep to Depeche Mode...

It's that i like my U2 shaked and stirred...:wink:

And Bridgette Jones Diary is the only movie that i like? Hmmmm i never even saw this movie... Hmmmmmm

U2_Guy said:

Narrow taste in music?? I like from Bobby Darin till Love, from Stones to Stone Roses, from Joy Division to Gus Gus, from Led Zep to Depeche Mode...

It's that i like my U2 shaked and stirred...:wink:

And Bridgette Jones Diary is the only movie that i like? Hmmmm i never even saw this movie... Hmmmmmm

It was a joke chief. You can say that you find the 2000 U2 boring. You can say that you don't like the style, but to say that it is bad music only makes you look foolish.

What's wrong with this particular U2 guy? Are you feeling alright today? I say truce, enough with the insults and stupid replies, and now... "APOLOGIZE! THAN WE CAN TALK!" Than we can talk? You mean nothing to me, man. You want me to apologize you for what? Assuming you're gay? Which is NOT a bad thing!
Talking to you is like listening to Bon Jovi all night... Oh crap, I just insulted Bon Jovi? Is that a bad thing? :wink:

Dalton said:

It was a joke chief. You can say that you find the 2000 U2 boring. You can say that you don't like the style, but to say that it is bad music only makes you look foolish.

Where and when did i say it's bad music?

Everywhere i go and shout it that post-2000 U2 is boring i say that the songs are well crafted, good pop songs!

Gimme my merits, patrão!:wink:

djerdap said:
What's wrong with this particular U2 guy? Are you feeling alright today? I say truce, enough with the insults and stupid replies, and now... "APOLOGIZE! THAN WE CAN TALK!" Than we can talk? You mean nothing to me, man. You want me to apologize you for what? Assuming you're gay? Which is NOT a bad thing!
Talking to you is like listening to Bon Jovi all night... Oh crap, I just insulted Bon Jovi? Is that a bad thing? :wink:

Oh my...why in the world those rednecks are like this...

Too much phooking the little cow's arses make that to you? Drinking too much milk from the cow's tits give you that behaviour?

Pardon, mon Dieu, he doesn't know what he's saying...

Back
Top Bottom