"Mysterious Ways" We Hear and Feel "The Fly" Move As "One"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Yesterday while listening to Mysterious Ways from Slane 1, I realized for the very first time how much this song has worked itself into becoming one of my favorite songs from the ZooTV/Achtung Baby era, even to the present day.

I've often thought in particular, 3 songs from Achtung Baby that each say something different about that stage in the bands career at that time...first as mentioned, Mysterious Ways, which seems to embody where the band was going at that time, moving mysteriously through the rock and roll hype of ZooTV, with body and soul stubbornly inline with the Spirit and mocking everything about the rock and roll lifestyle.

The second would be The Fly, a persona in song that Bono made larger than life, and would later transform into MacPhisto...This was a sight and sound that got under your skin, and was not to be ignored.

And lastly, One, which represents the humanity of Achtung Baby, with all it's hurt, and uncertainty, it reflected the hope of what could become of us if our differences were embraced...we would later find out that is was also the song that brought a disconnected U2 back together, as well as a healing to anyone who has experienced the alienation that comes from hatred and injustice.

So if you had to choose one song, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, or One that was the pinnacle of all that Achtung Baby, and especially the ZooTv Tour represented, and always brings remembrance to that remarkable point in the band's career, which one song of the three mentioned would it be for you personally?

Chris

p.s. This post is in no way meant to exclude or make feel bad those who didn't experience ZooTV live, but at least there is ZooTV from Sydney
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 04-29-2002).]

Originally posted by Zooropa:
The Fly. It is the complete embodiement of what that era was about. Dissillusionment, love and frustration of love.

Even if I want to be biased about Mysterious Ways (it's one of my favorite U2 songs, EVER!), I have to agree with you, Zooropa. The Fly summarized it all. On the other hand, amidst the negativity and darkness that Zoo TV's theme held, ONE was like the redeeming value, the theme of which, was still hope.
wink.gif
It's much like the song 40 on the War album.

[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 04-30-2002).]

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Does anyone else get an exhilarating feeling whenever The Edge goes off on his solo live on Mysterious Ways?

Chris
I believe Zoomanda does
big time!!

I like that song a lot live
not too thrilled about the album version though

I agree The Fly probably embodies that era the best

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Does anyone else get an exhilarating feeling whenever The Edge goes off on his solo live on Mysterious Ways?

I absolutely love the live MW solo! I wish it were like that on the album. But I have to agree with dizzy, Zooropa, and Salome that The Fly is the best representation of ZooTV. One is an amazing song, but it's more the exception than the rule in terms of ZooTV.

Originally posted by Salome:

Chris

I believe Zoomanda does
big time!!

Yes she does!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are an observant man, Salomey
smile.gif

Chris, because minors read this board I won't go into extreme detail of that solo does, but I think you get the drift!

I adore both solos, from it and The Fly. MW a very personal fave, but Im also going with The Fly. It just beats it out.
Both songs are the pure essence of Achtung Baby and ZOOTV (along with Zoo Station).
Those songs are Edgeheaven.

MW from ZOOTV Sydney... nothing compares

*sigh*

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk

*Last Train to Bono*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 04-29-2002).]

That's why it stinks so much that they left both One and MW out of the DVD!!
mad.gif
And half the reason I want a Slane DVD! MW or the Fly are my "when down and need a quick wake up" songs at the moment, the guitar solos do it for me
smile.gif
I dunno which of the 3 I'd choose, at first it was always One, but the Fly has grown on me more than any song, especially since the great version they did on the Elevation tour
smile.gif

I'll say the Fly, it is like a stop gap between One and MW in regards emotion and plain musical ability.

The Fly.

It's the phone call from hell, but the guy likes it there. The depth of the lyrics is incredible, with influences ranging from William Golding's novel "Lord of the Flies" to the bible. That song has everything thrown in there - observations about the world, truths, half-truths, sarcasm, irony, vocal distortion, the falsetto, and a guitar solo that would make an 80's hair band fall off their seats.

Yeah, the Fly best captures the spirit, attitude, and essence of the era.

AJ

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Chris, because minors read this board I won't go into extreme detail of that solo does, but I think you get the drift!

LMAO@Amanda...yeah, I catch your drift, and by the way, after I read your respones, I was listening to the Complete Boston Tapes, and some of the Edge's guitar work in there would probably send you off to the point of no return...take a listen and get back to me on this one.

I agree the MW on the ZooTV Sydney is great, but you were at Slane 1 I believe...check in out, it is fantastic.

Chris

Chris

*raises hand* Moi!!! I love everything about Mysterious Ways. An interesting part of it is also the intro, which is freakishly haunting. There were slightly different intros during the Zoo TV and Elevation concerts.

And lastly, One, which represents the humanity of Achtung Baby, with all it's hurt, and uncertainty, it reflected the hope of what could become of us if our differences were embraced...we would later find out that is was also the song that brought a disconnected U2 back together, as well as a healing to anyone who has experienced the alienation that comes from hatred and injustice.

B]

Wow, Chris. You really hit it on the head about One. I agree. The summer following my first ZooTV concert, I volunteered for AIDS Walk SF and that song was the theme. It really held something personally for me then (and now) too.

Back
Top Bottom