Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Two words, Irving Plaza. Can?t have enough of it. I went walking early this morning, listening to my tape of Irving Plaza. When Mysterious Ways came in I must confess I almost started dancing in the middle of the park, LOL. I love it, it?s the definitive version IMO.

Agree? Or you rather go with another performance, maybe from the Popmart or Zoo TV era?

smile.gif

Yup the Irving Plaza performance is wonderful! a week ago I listened to it constantly.. IWF from the Plaza is really kickin' as well.

I really love MW from the ZOO Europa boot too, I love the piano on the ZOOtv version so I'm not sure which of those 2 I prefer, but Irving Plaza is definately awesome!

No, no.... mysterious ways INDY 5/10 when i got up onstage and kissed bono! that was the definitive performance! :p hhehhe

Zoo Europe Mysterious Ways is way ahead for me...have to agree with the Skeekster...Bonos vocals go through so many falsetto shapes its fantastic..Irving Plaza is great though...although my favourite song from that boot is One

Why only almost follower? I love seeing people doing tai chi, playing guitars, dancing in the park(not me though, other people)
Fortunately JJJ broadcast the Irving Plaza performance on the radio. It's one of the few live U2 performances I have. It's a treasure all right
smile.gif

Skeek and ACROB@T,

The one you call Zoo Europa bootleg is Zooropa Dublin August 28th 1993? I got it recently, so I don't know if it's known by Zoo Europa. I agree that is another great performance, no doubt, the falsetto right in the beginning is what I like the most.

I checked Mysterious Ways from my Popmart S?o Paulo a few hours ago, another nice one. The final part, after Bono having sung the last verses, is really long because a girl got up on the B stage where he was, holding a brazilian flag and inviting Bono to dance with her. He gently refused and kissed her hand but the girl didn't give up, she kept dancing in front of him. He ended up carrying her over his shoulder, like a cave man or something, really funny, the crowd went nuts. He left her on a corner of the main stage near Adam. During all that time the band got playing the final chords over and over again. The girl kept there watching the show until the next song, when Adam invited her to go back to the crowd.
smile.gif

U2 Gator, if I were you I would feel the same, LOL

Mariana, that "my baby is having a baby" bit is a nice touch, I love it also

cass, you know, I think I can say I'm a little bit crazy, but not that crazy, LOL

follower wrote:

Skeek and ACROB@T,
The one you call Zoo Europa bootleg is Zooropa Dublin August 28th 1993?

Yes it is, fantastic show all round too

I have always looked far and wide for the definitive live performance of MW...

It is *very* close between Irving and Zoo Europa.

I am biased toward Irving Plaza because I was there. Even so, that version was stunning in all elements. Great intro, deep expression, emotion, creativity, add-ons, edge solo, clayton bass, larry drums, and band chemistry. Having seen it performed live at that level, from a few feet away, I was just blown away by the technical and emotional brilliance of the performance.

AJ

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Zoo Europa? I've always wanted it, but I'm scared of people...I don't have anything to trade but Elevation Phoenix and Boston 4.
I heard it rocks though!

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 10-08-2001).]

mocool.. i'm not really into the whole trading thing much, but the bootleg is fairly easy to find online.. you might even try searching audiogalaxy or something for the mp3s.

..not to mention the sexual healing. that fits so damn well and is incredibly catchy

Mariana,

Zoo Europa is a must have, believe me, I'm so happy that Desert Rose gave me hers before leaving Brazil...Here is a gentle offer, I can get you a copy of mine if you want to, it would be a pleasure, just let me know, okay? Btw, do you have Popmart from S?o Paulo?
wink.gif

I have to admit that my favorite version is the one done at Miami Opening night. All the moaning and groaning at the beginning was fantastic.

I love the Irving Plaza version. Very funky and the Sexual Healing part is awesome - Bono singing that solo is better than the original.

Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance?

Achtung Baby. I've always thought that the live version was flat. The entire song is built on Edge's guitar, and the guitar without all the overdubs and studio magic is somewhat dull.

I haven't done any free recordings for awhile now. If you would like a copy of Zoo Europa, email me at ultraviolet_j@yahoo.com and include your Interference ID. I live in the states too so shipping is cheap.

My favorite performance of "Mysterious Ways" is from Popmart Santiago Chile. You have to watch the video to fully appreciate it though. The band was just ON that night.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance?

Achtung Baby. I've always thought that the live version was flat. The entire song is built on Edge's guitar, and the guitar without all the overdubs and studio magic is somewhat dull.

I agree. MW is U2's best produced song, no doubt. The only good live version I've heard is the Irving Plaza performance.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Ultraviolet- Am I allowed to e-mail you about Zoo Europa? I don't want to be a greedy, selfish bastard or anything, but I'd love a copy!
biggrin.gif

Oh I thought you guys were talking about little ole me!
biggrin.gif

I personally liked Indy myself. Bono was just having such a great time.

------------------
...Its no secret that a liar won't believe in anyone else...

Nicamom, I'd be more than happy to offer you a copy..but someone in America is bound to help you out..anyway, I'll pop my e-mail below anyway if nobody replies...

achtungacrobat@yahoo.co.uk

Johny,

The album version is perfect, but I was thinking about live performances.

ultraviolet_i, I don?t have neither the bootleg nor the video of Popmart from Santiago, but I?ve heard is another must have.

ramblim tose, you mentioned another good one, from ET opening night, no doubt.

Mariana, it seems that you can choose your supplier, for the Zoo Europa boot, LOL

Did you get my numbeeer ohhhhhhh...

Totally awesome. I heard it again on the radio a few weeks ago and it reminded me of how great a performance it was.
But.. I still believe in the ZooEuropa version. Also the Zootv Sydney is very similar to ZooEuropa and the video is awesome with Morliegh doin her thang!

Another simply irrisistable version is from Zootv DC.
This is the most Intense version of this song I believe. Only problem is it is mono feed soundboard. Still great sound though.

Back
Top Bottom