Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2001, 02:02 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance

Two words, Irving Plaza. Can´t have enough of it. I went walking early this morning, listening to my tape of Irving Plaza. When Mysterious Ways came in I must confess I almost started dancing in the middle of the park, LOL. I love it, it´s the definitive version IMO.

Agree? Or you rather go with another performance, maybe from the Popmart or Zoo TV era?

Old 10-07-2001, 02:04 PM   #2
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Yup the Irving Plaza performance is wonderful! a week ago I listened to it constantly.. IWF from the Plaza is really kickin' as well.

I really love MW from the ZOO Europa boot too, I love the piano on the ZOOtv version so I'm not sure which of those 2 I prefer, but Irving Plaza is definately awesome!

Old 10-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #3
U2Gator

Local Time: 11:34 AM
No, no.... mysterious ways INDY 5/10 when i got up onstage and kissed bono! that was the definitive performance! :P hhehhe

Old 10-07-2001, 02:14 PM   #4
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Maria Teresa, the Irving Plaza bootleg is constanly playing in my car, it rocks!
MW makes me dance any time but the Irving Plaza version is extra special, so funky!
I love the "my baby is having a baby" bit too!
Old 10-07-2001, 04:05 PM   #5

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Zoo Europe Mysterious Ways is way ahead for me...have to agree with the Skeekster...Bonos vocals go through so many falsetto shapes its fantastic..Irving Plaza is great though...although my favourite song from that boot is One
Old 10-07-2001, 04:18 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Why only almost follower? I love seeing people doing tai chi, playing guitars, dancing in the park(not me though, other people)
Fortunately JJJ broadcast the Irving Plaza performance on the radio. It's one of the few live U2 performances I have. It's a treasure all right
Old 10-07-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
Refugee

Skeek and ACROB@T,

The one you call Zoo Europa bootleg is Zooropa Dublin August 28th 1993? I got it recently, so I don't know if it's known by Zoo Europa. I agree that is another great performance, no doubt, the falsetto right in the beginning is what I like the most.

I checked Mysterious Ways from my Popmart São Paulo a few hours ago, another nice one. The final part, after Bono having sung the last verses, is really long because a girl got up on the B stage where he was, holding a brazilian flag and inviting Bono to dance with her. He gently refused and kissed her hand but the girl didn't give up, she kept dancing in front of him. He ended up carrying her over his shoulder, like a cave man or something, really funny, the crowd went nuts. He left her on a corner of the main stage near Adam. During all that time the band got playing the final chords over and over again. The girl kept there watching the show until the next song, when Adam invited her to go back to the crowd.
Old 10-07-2001, 05:44 PM   #8
Refugee

U2 Gator, if I were you I would feel the same, LOL

Mariana, that "my baby is having a baby" bit is a nice touch, I love it also

cass, you know, I think I can say I'm a little bit crazy, but not that crazy, LOL
Old 10-07-2001, 05:48 PM   #9

Local Time: 05:34 PM
follower wrote:

Quote:
Skeek and ACROB@T,
The one you call Zoo Europa bootleg is Zooropa Dublin August 28th 1993?
Yes it is, fantastic show all round too
Old 10-07-2001, 07:07 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:34 AM
I have always looked far and wide for the definitive live performance of MW...

It is *very* close between Irving and Zoo Europa.

I am biased toward Irving Plaza because I was there. Even so, that version was stunning in all elements. Great intro, deep expression, emotion, creativity, add-ons, edge solo, clayton bass, larry drums, and band chemistry. Having seen it performed live at that level, from a few feet away, I was just blown away by the technical and emotional brilliance of the performance.

AJ
Old 10-07-2001, 10:05 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Zoo Europa? I've always wanted it, but I'm scared of people...I don't have anything to trade but Elevation Phoenix and Boston 4.
I heard it rocks though!

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-07-2001, 10:21 PM   #12
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

mocool.. i'm not really into the whole trading thing much, but the bootleg is fairly easy to find online.. you might even try searching audiogalaxy or something for the mp3s.
Old 10-08-2001, 03:01 AM   #13
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

..not to mention the sexual healing. that fits so damn well and is incredibly catchy
Old 10-08-2001, 05:13 PM   #14
Refugee

Mariana,

Zoo Europa is a must have, believe me, I'm so happy that Desert Rose gave me hers before leaving Brazil...Here is a gentle offer, I can get you a copy of mine if you want to, it would be a pleasure, just let me know, okay? Btw, do you have Popmart from São Paulo?
Old 10-08-2001, 07:23 PM   #15
Forum Moderator

I have to admit that my favorite version is the one done at Miami Opening night. All the moaning and groaning at the beginning was fantastic.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:59 PM   #16
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I love the Irving Plaza version. Very funky and the Sexual Healing part is awesome - Bono singing that solo is better than the original.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:09 PM   #17
Bad Daddy Johnny

Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance?

Achtung Baby. I've always thought that the live version was flat. The entire song is built on Edge's guitar, and the guitar without all the overdubs and studio magic is somewhat dull.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 PM   #18
ultraviolet_j

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I haven't done any free recordings for awhile now. If you would like a copy of Zoo Europa, email me at ultraviolet_j@yahoo.com and include your Interference ID. I live in the states too so shipping is cheap.

My favorite performance of "Mysterious Ways" is from Popmart Santiago Chile. You have to watch the video to fully appreciate it though. The band was just ON that night.

Old 10-09-2001, 12:51 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Mysterious Ways, the definitive performance?

Achtung Baby. I've always thought that the live version was flat. The entire song is built on Edge's guitar, and the guitar without all the overdubs and studio magic is somewhat dull.
I agree. MW is U2's best produced song, no doubt. The only good live version I've heard is the Irving Plaza performance.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld
Old 10-09-2001, 01:02 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Ultraviolet- Am I allowed to e-mail you about Zoo Europa? I don't want to be a greedy, selfish bastard or anything, but I'd love a copy!