My Wish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
1. On the new album, include a harmonica on a song or two. It's a great portal in to different and exotic styles for u2, and Bono is not half bad with a homer.

2. Do fall out solos more often. Have Bono and the Edge drop out to leave Adam playing along with Larry or the like. There is remarkable chemistry when that happens.

3. Maybe do the same thing they did with Boy songs this, with another album. Lets hear some of the more obscure songs on the tour along with some favorites.

4. Maybe try one or two songs absolutly stripped down. Let the Edge play with an acustic. Let Bono's vocals rest down low. However I want quiet and sweeping, not dragging and dull.

5. Play some of the songs live at special events before the album hits the final recording phase. Get some ideas live. Its remarkable how rapidly songs change, often for the better, after a band can jam with them on tour.

5. Bono: dont force a lyric. You have a poet somewhere in you, dont let it get drowned out by urgancy to communicate something speical. I have a feeling that now you are sitting down in the morning and trying to write the perfect song for the perfect spot. Let it flow.

6. Take as long as you need. If you want to give to the fans and you are stuck, do another live album maybe with recordings from the vault. I.E. something like "The Best Of Live".

7. Paul McCartny had a serious case of writers block. He wanted to do a profound album but didnt have the circumstances. You might not have the feelings of getting through a tough marrige or discovering america on this album. Try for something easier. Try having fun with each other and the music. Thats what paul did on flaming pie.

8. Record the album in the summer. Go somewhere exotic, strange, different. Do the Album there.

Otherwise I dont care what or how you record. Just have a good time and I know a good album will come.

1. I agree
2. I strongly agree
3. they played more obsure songs this tour than ever
4. I thought they did that w/ Yahweh on this tour
5. agree
6. Don't take as long as you need. U2 can come out w/ a great album every 2-3 years if they chose to
7. agree
8. agree

1. Could care less. Harmonica really depends on the song...

2. :shrug:

3. Sure

4. They've done that.

5. Strongly agree.

5. Agree

6. Strongly disagree. I think overthinking can destroy art.

7. Don't do anything Paul does.

8. They just comissioned a new studio, doubt this will happen.

ok I'll do the number thing too I guess....

1. Disagree, don't really like the harmonica with U2, although it might work in some cases.

2. Agree

3. Strongly Agree, more obscure!

4. Partially agree, I LOVE the acoustic parts in Electrical Storm and wish they would do more extended acoustic elements in songs, although not necessarily full songs

5. Partially agree, I like to be surprised when an album comes out, but playing some songs beforehand is also a good idea

6. Agree, DONT FORCE IT, but then again don't waste any time realeasing anything else

7. Disagree, I don't want to sit through a fun goofaround album, I want the usual

8. Probably won't happen but a great idea nonetheless!

i agree with some, but don't do anything paul does, he's hack.

he's done great work, but not important work like U2. he's pleased his crowd and has influenced his people. U2 should not go off his work, they've taken what they can from it... hopefully they'll move on to more relevant work..... not hip hop, as that horrible thread suggests.

1. Umm, love a bit of harmonica personally, but like any instrument, if it's natural, it's natural, if it's not, whats the point.

2. Ok.

3. Cool. If you mean live.

4. I agree with quiet and sweeping. Velvet Dress baby! But yeah, it doesn't really matter. Whatever comes.

5. Agree.

5. Agree. Strongly. You do get the sense that Bono wrote the last album in the car on the way to recording the lyrics.

6. Disagree. Strongly. I think even the biggest fans of HTDAAB can admit it is, at least in parts, definitely overcooked. U2's music always had a cool quality to it, even though it has always been worked over a lot, cleverly produced etc etc there was always something not perfect about it that gave it great character. The last two albums have been like when you walk out of a nightclub and into a 7-11. Waaaay too bright. Waaaaay too much time spent on them.

7. Another Paul McCartney hater here, but I know that's not your point. I'm sure Bono should and would have PLENTY to say, and plenty that is interesting and even profound. You can't really name another person who has been in such a unique position in the world. Especially considering how passionate he is about everything, with everything he is doing there must real excitement, real anger, real frustration, real melancholy and real joy that he faces every day. I don't like that he treats U2's lyrics like an Oprah interview or a quote for mass consumption in Time. Fuck the soundbites. I don't believe for a second that Crumbs or Love and Peace are an accurate record of where his head and thoughts are at. Save the Bono-catchphrases for the speeches, give U2 the truth.

8. Just record it somewhere and in a timeframe that limits the sittings. Breaking it up over a long period of time damages the final product. 'Going away' forces that I guess. I think Dublin is too easy to 'go away' from, but if they focus on it...

9. Fucking retire already.

There. I said it. I'm sorry, but it had to be done.

Failing that, though, I think some of your suggestions are fairly good. Aside from the harmonica business, this is a pretty well-conceived set of ideas. Giddyup.

My wish list:

First for the next album:

Work with Eno and a completely new U2 producer, I wish they'd work with Jon Brion (he's a great offbeat composer of films like Eternal Sunshine and I Heart Huckabees and produced Kanye West's Late Registration which was a weird departure for him, but hey they wanted hip hop and if we need to have it, have it got through this guy.)

Go with your gut, while the Native Son to Vertigo rework produced one of their most famous hits, a lot of the other alternate cuts may be more rough but were more diamonds in the rough. I loved a lot of HTDAAB but there were some great unreleased tracks as well, hell release a double album if you've got that much good material from one set of sessions.

Let the dirt show, AB wasn't perfectly clean and it's their all time best.

Other things wish list: Zoo TV and PopMart performances on DVD, Lots more live CD releases, etc.

If you shout... said:
9. Fucking retire already.

There. I said it. I'm sorry, but it had to be done.

Failing that, though, I think some of your suggestions are fairly good. Aside from the harmonica business, this is a pretty well-conceived set of ideas. Giddyup.

...Could you be anymore patronising? I'm not sure what justifies this smug air of superiority.

Sleep Over Jack said:

...Could you be anymore patronising? I'm not sure what justifies this smug air of superiority.

I think we call them trolls on other forums.:wink:

"here's what i want -- don't re-record, re-write, or break down any song. just record it as it flows. see what happens"

That's what i mean by "go with your gut"

doubleU said:

I think we call them trolls on other forums.:wink:

Fuck you.

How is it patronising (I'm referring to you, SOJ) or troll-ish for me to think that "more harmonica" is just what U2 needs? Not only is it clearly NOT, but I agreed with what else the original poster said. And I've got over 1000 posts in a year. God damn this shit.

You people are fucking shady, sometimes. Jesus...

...AND I suddenly realize that you're a newbie. Way to go. Your credibility is totally on the rise.

1. Harmonica to me is rarely done well, although Bono ain't bad
2. Like it
3. If it's Zooropa, great
4. No on acoustic, yes to silent and sweeping
5. Not a bad idea about some warmups/absolutely on the lyrics
6. I'll have to get back to this one later
7. If they don't have the musical backbone, even having fun can be crap
8. Like it

Go to Cairo, Sydney, Tokyo, wherever, find an inspiration

Maybe this 4th leg will lead to it.

Retiring might not be the worst move they could make.

I could think of more bad scenarios than good for a follow up.
That said, I'd like to see some fucking creative redemption.

Also, about going to a locale vs having a new studio.
They went to Berlin for ideas and returned to Dublin to finish.
They went to Miami for ideas and returned to Dublin to finish.
Nothing says they couldn't 'burn' 3-6 months at some remote location hoping to get the skeletons for 8 or 10 songs, then go back to Dublin for they next year or whatever.

I love the idea in general, I think being out of the comfort zone is good for creativity. I'd also like to hear more harmonies, more deep drums vs tinny, some infusion of Celtic themes/music.

I think the really need Eno AND Lillywhite, or go in a completely different direction, but even the experimental brilliance of AB was produced and mixed by them.

Why not return to their routes and record the next album at Slane? (like TUF) although they probably don't have such an option anymre.

As for inspiration, they might let their thoughts about Africa be a focus. They don't need to be direct in linking every song to Africa specifically, but I think Bono could really let his emotions flow. Many of their great songs have many meanings to different people, and this could be true for this idea as well. Themes might include hope, pain, loss, corruption, or a new frontier. As long as the subjects aren't dealt with as a sermon, but with honest feeling.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i trust that after 25+ years, thousands of sold out concerts and 2 dozen or so grammys that u2 certainly doesn't need my stupid advice.

I read somewhere once that U2 were human, so it's possible they may not be without trangression, maybe even open to advice, who knows maybe they'd even play the songs to fans who showed up outside their studio for reaction, or even mailmen who walked thru as they debated.

I think all that was just a myth, from some religous book probably.

Back
Top Bottom