My undying love for Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woo rating songs!

Discotheque 3/10
Do You Feel Loved 7/10
Mofo 8/10
If God Will Send His Angels 7/10
Staring At The Sun 8/10
Last Night On Earth 10/10
Gone 10/10
Miami 3/10
The Playboy Mansion 4/10
If You Wear That Velvet Dress 9/10
Please 7/10
Wake Up Dead Man 10/10

Mofo and Please are 10 live and Discotheque is 9.5.

Axver said:
Woo rating songs!

Discotheque 30/10
Do You Feel Loved 17/10
Mofo 18/10
If God Will Send His Angels 17/10
Staring At The Sun 8/10
Last Night On Earth 10/10
Gone 10/10
Miami 13/10
The Playboy Mansion 14/10
If You Wear That Velvet Dress 9/10
Please 17/10
Wake Up Dead Man 10/10

Mofo and Please are 100 live and Discotheque is 90.5.

I corrected some typos :wink:

Wow, that was funny. :rolleyes:

Though let me now lower Discotheque's rating to 2 and DYFL to 6.

Axver said:
Wow, that was funny. :rolleyes:

Though let me now lower Discotheque's rating to 2 and DYFL to 6.

you're lowering your opinion of two songs just because of that? :eyebrow: In that case, I've decided UF is my least favourite U2 album :wink:

Just curious, how can you give Discotheque a 9.5 live and just a 2 on the album? That's a pretty big jump.

Sonoftelepunk said:

Well doesn't adding Bono and the boys live to the equation merit that jump?

If the song was like 10/10 on the album, then sure, you can jump to like 100 :wink: but I don't see how anyone could rate Discotheque so low on the album and then say it's nearly perfect live? The live version is basically the album version except shorter and with a slightly different intro... and the ending often had snippets...but it was ultimately the same song, it wasn't a gigantic change like, say, Bullet (from ZooTV).

Now since this thread is still rockin' on page one :rockon: I'd like to bring up something... I was reading my Into the Heart book today (and this is the version that came out right after Pop) and it said critics were calling it their finest effort yet. Does anyone remember when Pop came out? Was that the case? I've got a review from NME I believe from when it first came out, they gave it 8/10 and they are usually pretty critical of U2... so was Pop originally hailed as one of U2's best albums? Was it the opening of the tour that screwed U2 over? I'm curious because it seems to me like Pop was doing great at first and then things turned around, and now whenever people write articles about U2 they'll refer to Pop as U2's "misstep" or something of the sort. It's a shame, really. What if things had been different? If Pop and Popmart had been constantly critically acclaimed? The next U2 album would probably have sounded nothing like ATYCLB...

phanan said:
^Just saw this. I'm not at home at the moment, which is where it is. But I'll try to shoot it off to you this week.

It's not really a mix per se, just the first half of the album version up to the pause about two and a half minutes in, and then continuing on with the second half of the single version. But it kinda works.

Hey Phanan - this is just a reminder so you don't forget :wink:

Discotheque 7/10
Do You Feel Loved 8/10
Mofo 6/10
If God Will Send His Angels 7/10
Staring At The Sun 9/10
Last Night On Earth 9/10
Gone 8/10
Miami 0/10
The Playboy Mansion 2/10
If You Wear That Velvet Dress 4/10
Please 6/10